PDA

View Full Version : Piece On Jackie/Robbie Davis

Oskar
08-26-2012, 10:15 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/2012/08/25/jockey-takes-after-father-track/W02lioqIakNyIaIxP8RHbM/singlepage.html

mannyberrios
08-26-2012, 01:20 PM
She is a real good jockey, I won't think twice about betting her

grant miller
08-27-2012, 01:01 AM
wow what an article, Ihope shes better than krone or chantell. wish she comes back to bel-aqu.

PaceAdvantage
08-27-2012, 01:30 AM
Insightful piece, but still, some seriously graphic imagery concerning the death of Mike Venezia in that article, I guess to drive home the point how dangerous riding can be, and how nerve wracking it must be for Robbie, especially when he first learned of Jackie's desire to become a jockey.

The Hawk
08-27-2012, 09:37 AM
Insightful piece, but still, some seriously graphic imagery concerning the death of Mike Venezia in that article, I guess to drive home the point how dangerous riding can be, and how nerve wracking it must be for Robbie, especially when he first learned of Jackie's desire to become a jockey.

Agreed. There was no real reason for some of that. That's "journalism" today, much like the NY Post publishing the photo of an innocent man laying dead in the street outside the Empire State Building.

rispa
08-27-2012, 10:02 AM
She will never be better than either one of those jockeys (Krone or Sutherland). Good riders don't leave New York to ride at Suffolk Downs year after year.

DAT
08-27-2012, 10:54 AM
She's a solid rider. Still a bit inconsistent at the gate but still very good.

Does anyone know if she got a couple days for a riding infraction? She had no mounts Saturday or today and she was on a horse that got taken down last week.

Dahoss9698
08-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Jackie Davis is probably as good if not better than Chantal right now. The only difference (aside from racy ads) is Chantal is riding in California (poorly) and Jackie is riding well at a second tier track.

I know there is a rush to compare every female jock who comes up to Krone, but it's pretty unfair IMO.

Milkshaker
08-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Agreed. There was no real reason for some of that. That's "journalism" today...

Indeed! The media should get with it and just reprint in verbatim shiny happy press releases that accentuate the pomp and pageantry of our glorious sport!

Why bum people out with stories about reality and danger? Sweep those aspects of the game under the rug!

PaceAdvantage
08-27-2012, 01:09 PM
Jackie Davis is probably as good if not better than Chantal right now. The only difference (aside from racy ads) is Chantal is riding in California (poorly) and Jackie is riding well at a second tier track.Agree 100%. I have always thought she was very good fundamentally (as do others I've talked to about her)...

nijinski
08-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Venezia rode the NY circuit for many years . He rode with the same jocks before Robbie came on the scene .Everyone knew him , it was a close knit goup.
That accident was a nightmare for Robbie , unfortunately it was unavoidable
with Robbie on a horse in full stride .
Robbie was never the same after that and I fully understand his fears for
his daughter.
They are both such good people and i wish them well and may she stay safe .

The Hawk
08-27-2012, 10:15 PM
Indeed! The media should get with it and just reprint in verbatim shiny happy press releases that accentuate the pomp and pageantry of our glorious sport!

Why bum people out with stories about reality and danger? Sweep those aspects of the game under the rug!

If your father was killed on the racetrack when you were a child how would you like to read that "half his face was missing"? Is that necessary? What did that add to the story? No one is sweeping anything under the rug. A man was killed on the racetrack. Do you need everything spelled out for you? Do you need to see an autopsy report, too? "People" aren't "bummed out" enough to hear a man is dead, they need to know how many eyes he lost in the process? Are you serious?

I guess if it was your brother that was shot in the head and left for dead on the street outside the Empire State Building you'd like for that picture to be prominently displayed in the paper. As a matter of fact, I heard the victim's brother on the radio this morning, and with all that he's going through that's one of the main things he brought up, saying all those images that were in the paper are making it an unbearable situation that much more difficult. But as long as you and your dimwitted peers are entertained, and have every detail, then it's okay.

Oskar
08-28-2012, 08:17 AM
The following excerpt from William Nack’s piece in Sports Illustrated about Mike Venezia’s death is more graphic in its depiction of the details of that accident than anything Amalie Benjamin wrote.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1126643/index.htm

rispa
08-28-2012, 10:50 AM
Agree 100%. I have always thought she was very good fundamentally (as do others I've talked to about her)...

I guess I would have to agree to disagree. Anyway, it's just an opinion. That said, her name was nowhere to be found on the nyra.com website where it lists the leading riders at Aqueduct this year.

PaceAdvantage
08-28-2012, 11:01 AM
I guess I would have to agree to disagree. Anyway, it's just an opinion. That said, her name was nowhere to be found on the nyra.com website where it lists the leading riders at Aqueduct this year.Do you see some of the horses she rides? Sometimes it's not all about the jock... but that's a whole other topic...

Look, nobody is claiming she's the next Krone...just saying she sits well on a horse, has good balance, and can ride...if you want the exact opposite example, look at the jock Jackie came up with at the same time in NY whose initials are MS...

rispa
08-28-2012, 01:30 PM
I guess you're referring to Maylan Studart (MS), whose name actually appears on the aforementioned list with 10 wins from 98 mounts.

The last comment is yours.

Little Watermelon
08-28-2012, 02:27 PM
The writer of that piece is a young woman who was formerly the beat writer for the Red Sox in the Boston Globe. I don't think she has an in-depth knowledge of horse racing, or baseball for that matter, but is a good writer. Globe articles tend towards sensationalism now, more than in the past, like much of the media.

PaceAdvantage
08-28-2012, 06:30 PM
I guess you're referring to Maylan Studart (MS), whose name actually appears on the aforementioned list with 10 wins from 98 mounts.

The last comment is yours.What list is that?

Itamaraca
08-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Jackie Davis? When did she learn how to ride? She was about as bad a jock as you'd want. What happened?:bang:

Robert Fischer
08-28-2012, 07:03 PM
I skimmed the article, but it looked like a good article for the sport.

:ThmbUp:

cool.

rispa
08-29-2012, 06:13 AM
There is a list of the leading riders at Aqueduct in 2012 on the Nyra.com website.

PaceAdvantage
08-29-2012, 10:16 AM
There is a list of the leading riders at Aqueduct in 2012 on the Nyra.com website.I was comparing the two in terms of actually watching them move in the saddle (or not move too much, which is the goal).

There is no comparison between the two in terms of balance and fluidity of motion. I'll let you decide which one I would pick to ride my horse (if I had one) and which jock I would not.