PDA

View Full Version : Why Trout is even better than the stats

melman
08-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Last night in Boston the Angels are down to there last out. Trout singles to right. The Boston RF mishandles the ball, Trout who never stops running hard at any time goes to second easy. Next Angels hitter hits a very sharp ball to LF. With two outs Trout is off with the crack of the bat. Never stops at third and scores on a close play at the plate. Not many runners would have been safe on that play. Then he goes and plays CF and Jacoby Ellsbury comes to the plate for Boston with a runner on first. Hits a lazer beam to left center field. Trout runs in down makes the play look easy. Ellsbury a fellow CF can be seen going back to the dugout shaking his head.

His stats for the game last night 2 runs scored, 2 RBI's 2 SB's 3 for 6 at the plate.

His stats for the season in the AL
Batting Avg 1st
Runs scored 1st (by a wide margin)
SB's 1st
On Base % 2nd
Slugging % 2nd (that is unreal for a rookie 2nd only to David Ortiz of Boston)

And he is even better than the stats. Just flat out fun to watch this kid play. Mickey Mantle or A-Rod or Willie Mays as a youngster all over again.

Robert Fischer
08-24-2012, 12:20 PM
those aren't bad stats either!

jk , i see what you are saying. :ThmbUp:

Mailman
08-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Melman
I watched the 3 game set. He was a joy to watch.

ElKabong
08-25-2012, 12:16 AM
Trout is the best overall player I've ever seen, Mel.

Also, did you see his play if left center to rob a Sox hitter near the monster? Remy went on and on -- the kid has incredible range

First saw a game in 1961, started to "get it" a bit in '64. Willie Mays was the best and most exciting player I ever saw, and I only saw him occasionally b/c MLB only had 1 game per week nationally broadcast (PeeWee and Dizzy)

One can only imagine how many HRs Willie c/ have hit if he didn't have that wind blowing in from LF @ the Stick.

Most valuable was maybe Rose (who Trout has a lot of, in him...the kid has spark), maybe even Ozzie b/c of his ability to limit opponents both baserunners and runs.....and provide speed on the basepaths

Remember, the Halo's were in the tank till Trout came up..Pujols wasn't hitting a thing.

One guy I wish I coulda seen was Richie Asburn. The guy had 500+ putouts in CF multiple times, dwarfed Mays in that regard....that's hard for me to phathom, Mel - a guy that could cover more ground than Mays

melman
08-25-2012, 07:25 AM
I hear ya El. Willie Mays was an all timer. Only guy I could compare to him was a young Mickey Mantle. Before the Mick hurt his knee he was right with the best of all time. Even after the injury he was still a Hall of Famer. Trout has to keep doing it for more years but he sure is off to a great start. Speaking of Richie Ashburn he was a great CF with a ton of range. Won a batting title durng his playing days also. He was beloved in Philly. As a player and as a broadcaster. Teamed with Harry Kalas for a team that many called the best. You could tell that they really enjoyed each others company.

ElKabong
08-25-2012, 01:23 PM
I saw Ashburn on a 30 minute segment of Boys In The Hall (i think it was). He seems like quite a charachter, lot of good baseball knowledge and stories

It kind of surprises me that most people of my generation only came to appreciate Ashburn after the internet allowed us to see full defensive stats. He had 500 PO's seven times. Mays never even came close to 500 PO's in a season....To think of that is numbing.

In addition to the 7 times Richie had 500PO's, he had 490+ a few times as well.

Mel, the guys I grew up watching I thought were just a step or 2 behind Willie were Paul Blair, Curt Flood and Tommie Agee (Agee was hot and cold tho). All 3 could steal base hits and runs from the opponents, were real fun to watch