PDA

View Full Version : Chart-Based Handicapping

InControlX
08-22-2012, 11:32 AM
Over the years I've developed a need for full past chart data of entrants to handicap. By evaluating charts better pace detail can be gleaned than from the typical four or five call position/lengths from lead past performance line. It is also possible to come up with new pace analysis techniques which do not need track bias corrections, and better reflect the "Alpha Tendency" or "lead the herd desire" of entries. These advantages are significant to me, but from reviewing lots of PA threads it appears that I'm in a very small minority, with the status quo is working from the published past performances with casual reference to the chart data. This surprises me. I realize that new services like the DRF Formulator can display back charts but do not export the chart data to comma-delimited for detailed analysis.

Key data in the charts missing in PPs include:

-Which horses were ahead/behind an entry in a previous race at each call, and how these finally finished.

-More detailed explanations of route difficulties.

-Previous race purses for claiming races.

Is the dominant preference for PPs just due to convenience, or is it that the commercial programs find them much simpler than going through the work of maintaining a database? Anyone else start with charts?

ICX

classhandicapper
08-22-2012, 11:41 AM
I use the charts extensively and especially like the new online versions that allow you to see how horses ran next time out. Then not only do you get to compare similar pace trips, you can see how the first one of several with a similar trip (and others) ran next time out quickly and easily. You can even track the evidence for possible biases that way. There are also hot links to quickly look back field quality etc..

I start with the PPs and any notes I have, but when I am really digging it's via the charts.

OverlayHunter
08-22-2012, 07:51 PM
...especially like the new online versions that allow you to see how horses ran next time out.

Class, to which product does this refer?

Elliott Sidewater
08-22-2012, 10:27 PM
DRF formulator, no doubt. I use it myself, and it is a terrific product. The feature that lets you see the last 10 Beyers for each horse's previous races is the best way to unearth class edges that I've ever seen. Sometimes these class edges are not at all evident in the standard past performances. It doesn't produce a hidden gem in every racing card, but it occurs often enough to matter to me.

Itamaraca
08-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Would be interesting to get some 'chart' handicappers together and see how we do against those employing more 'sophisticated' methods.

classhandicapper
08-23-2012, 09:26 PM
Class, to which product does this refer?

Formulator, but I've heard there are others.

Tom
08-24-2012, 07:40 AM
Would be interesting to get some 'chart' handicappers together and see how we do against those employing more 'sophisticated' methods.

What makes you think us sophisticated players don't use charts as well?

InControlX
08-24-2012, 02:49 PM
What makes you think us sophisticated players don't use charts as well?

Because you're not here at the Daikoku with us in Fiji?

ICX

Capper Al
08-24-2012, 05:44 PM
How about posting a chart for the Travis Stakes this weekend, and we can talk about it.

Itamaraca
08-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Because you're not here at the Daikoku with us in Fiji?

ICX

Now, that's funny. :lol:

cutchemist42
02-04-2015, 10:17 AM
Looking through olf threads and saw this. Love looking through past charts, but as a non-DRF guy, it's alittle time consuming to find each one on Equibase

HUSKER55
02-04-2015, 11:48 AM
I did not know Waukesha was in Figi.....although there are times I wonder :D

Fingal
02-04-2015, 12:21 PM
Looking through olf threads and saw this. Love looking through past charts, but as a non-DRF guy, it's alittle time consuming to find each one on Equibase

I was listening to an interview with Coach Mike Krzyzewski of Duke the other day & the line that stood out is what he tells all his recruits-

" Are you willing to pay the price of preparation ? "