PDA

View Full Version : Tablets

Tom
08-21-2012, 11:37 AM
I want to buy a tablet...a cheap one.
I want to run some programs on it - HTR will run, I hope Pace figures will.
Other than that, I am open minded and can live without most.
I plan to either use public (free) wi fi, or hook up to my Road Runner at home.....can you use an ethernet cable with a tablet?

I have no desire to be on line unless it is free, and when I at home, I have no need. I do not want to have to buy a second internet subscription. I don't care about email, internet, anything, unless it happens to be free where I am at the time. It will be for horse racing 95% of the time.

My question is.....can I do it my way?

BillW
08-21-2012, 01:04 PM
I have a Samsung Galaxy that I bought factory refurb. I couldn't tell that it wasn't new except for the price. It runs Android so no DOS stuff. For $4.00 I bought a program called Splashtop (Donnie N. talked about it on the HTR board). You run the server on your machine at home (and leave that machine powered up and on-line!) and anywhere you have access to WiFi you can access your desktop. I use it to run HTR2 at Keeneland. The Galaxy has a 10" screen do there is little difference (display and speed wise) between that and running HTR2 on a 10" netbook.

The point is, don't limit yourself in what you are shopping for by requiring it to run DOS programs.

JustRalph
08-21-2012, 03:02 PM
There are tablets with ethernet. They also make micro usb converters that work with some tablets. All tablets would work on your local wifi in the house though.

Archos makes some decent tablets at low prices.......

Tom
08-21-2012, 03:36 PM
All I have in the house is wired.
I should get a wireless add on to my router, though. My Acer could hook onto that.

Thanks, guys.

JustRalph
08-21-2012, 11:38 PM
Just happen to see this tonight

http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/archos-70b-7-inch-tablet/41726.aspx

JustRalph
08-22-2012, 09:49 PM
Get a 10.1-inch Motorola Xoom Wi-Fi + 3G tablet for $199.99

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-57497970-58/get-a-10.1-inch-motorola-xoom-wi-fi-3g-tablet-for-$199.99/

raybo
08-26-2012, 11:45 AM
I recently bought a Galaxy Note clone from China, 5" screen, Android 4.0.3, dual SIM, 1.2Ghz processor, etc. ($162 with free 3 day shipping from China).

I use a remote desktop program from TeamViewer.com that allows me to use my cell data signal or WiFi to run my home PC or other internet supported divice, from my cell phone. There is now a 6" cell/tablet available and, of course, the standard 7"-11" tablets could run this remote desktop control software anywhere they can access a WiFi signal. So, I can run any of my Excel workbooks from my cell, which I couldn't do before.

You can also host or join meetings, take and send screenshots, take control of someone else's computer (with their permission of course), for support issues, etc..

I use the free version but they have a commercial version available also, for businesses.

raybo
08-26-2012, 11:52 AM

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-57497970-58/get-a-10.1-inch-motorola-xoom-wi-fi-3g-tablet-for-$199.99/

If I'm reading that right, this is a cell phone/tablet, just like my "Note" clone, as it will access the internet via WiFi or 3G cell service. If so, and you want a 10"tablet/phone, this seems to be the answer.

I was wondering when someone would do this with the larger tablets. Great price, too!! I use a prepaid unlimited cell plan ($45 per month) so no need to enter into long term contracts for cell service. This 10" tablet may have the same cell service availability, also.

Canarsie
08-27-2012, 10:33 AM

I bought this unit for my wife for Christmas. She absolutely loves it and uses it every day. She's a voracious reader and she has almost given up reading books the traditional way. The size makes it great for reading PP's and watching video.

Her unit is only wifi it was among the first to get ICS because Google bought out the Motorola patents. It has locked up two or three times but was easy to fix using a soft reset without losing any data. It hasn't happened in well over six months.

Dropbox works flawlessly on it so saving files are a breeze. I'm sure Google drive will be the same.

This program works great with Office files.

http://www.dataviz.com/products/documentstogo/android/

Great app for lots of horse racing news and video links. Also available on Ipad.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.briox.riversip.android.horses

$199 is a steal its a shame she doesn't read this board it would be something that I would like.

fast4522
08-28-2012, 07:15 PM
I would like Ralph suggest 10.1 tablet for the 16X9 screen resolution (1280X800) primarily for less printouts in PDF that can be annotated. I got a 7" that I am happy with just for a taste, and plan to get a 10.1 later when the dust settles. In November Microsoft will release Office for Android which should bring macro's and page linking into the fray. I might caution about cheep when your making the move to buy, if you do not want to pay allot for that muffler you could always do what I did and buy the Galaxy 2 7" with ICS until you decide to pop for the 10.1. Any questions about this tablet at all fire away, more than glad to expound on it.

daydreamer
09-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Is there anyone use kindle fire or nexus 7 to download pps and can u download 2 or 3 tracks and refer back to them doing race day?

vegasone
09-23-2012, 02:49 AM
On any of the tablets, you would have to convert the PP to a format readable on the tablet. I am assuming you are referring to PP in racing form type format. I tried it by converting the output to a pdf format. It took several steps to get it there. Using dropox you can retrieve files on the tablet easily. I don't use the PP but was just testing things.

raybo
09-23-2012, 08:10 AM
Is there anyone use kindle fire or nexus 7 to download pps and can u download 2 or 3 tracks and refer back to them doing race day?

Don't know about the Kindle, but there are tablets now that are also cell phones, and there are programs you can download, for free, that allow you to run your home computer via your phone. So, anything you can access on your home computer you can access on the tablet phone.

HUSKER55
09-23-2012, 01:19 PM
just a thought,........

considering everything that is out there perhaps it would be advisable to go to the place that regularily services your computer and see what they can match for what you want to do.

of course, I am no guru so I don't buy nothing that the repair shop can't fix and do warranty work.