04-13-2001, 10:19 AM
tried twice to correct this, should read:

www.espn.go.com/horse/columns/cronley_jay/1163736.html#

It's an article by cronley_jay

Karl

Druther
04-13-2001, 11:43 AM
Karl

Interesting article. At least Cronley can write, has a sense of humor and doesn’t come across as “The whole world’s stupid except thou and thee and sometimes I wonder about thou.”

I must confess, however, that I find no type of race less appetizing than one of those NW2 Lifetime claimers. But my “prejudice” stems from the fact that – insofar as racing is concerned – I grew up in Southern California. You just don’t see those kinds of horses around here. I’m not sure where they go – maybe northern California? – but they don’t hang around here.

In my work I used to do a lot of traveling and often got to attend a local track. I believe it was at that track in Lafayette, La. (Evangeline?) that I once saw one of these NW2L races where I counted that the field had collectively lost over 300 races. How on earth do you pick a winner from a field of horses that has demonstrated the only thing they’re good at is losing?

I’m sure, however, that some people are quite good at it. Just like some people have a talent for body language.

bdhsheets
04-13-2001, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Druther
Karl

I must confess, however, that I find no type of race less appetizing than one of those NW2 Lifetime claimers. But my “prejudice” stems from the fact that – insofar as racing is concerned – I grew up in Southern California. You just don’t see those kinds of horses around here. I’m not sure where they go – maybe northern California? – but they don’t hang around here.

Druther:

Please look again! Many of your optional claiming races are written for the overpriced California horses for NW2, NW3 etc. as part of the eligibility conditions, aaaaand this has been going on for some time.

Talking about ridiculous races, how about those 2 yo Maiden races at 2 Furlongs. WOW! I get a woodie thinking about those!!!!!!! I believe SA is the only major circuit that has these! And people wonder what happened to So. Cal racing?????? ha ha ha ha

BTW most high priced Cal. claimers come to the midwest
and get their clocks cleaned by "inferior" horses, ha ha ha ha.

Regards,

bdhsheets

Druther
04-13-2001, 06:06 PM
If you mistook my post as an expression of California pride, you have my utmost apology. The caliber of racing that once existed in California is purely a reflection of economics and has nothing to do with pride for this state – which I lack in any case. If it’s any consolation, I believe that what’s happened to California racing is a disgrace and I don’t play the Ca. tracks much and rarely attend anymore. About a month ago we went out to Santa Anita and that was only because friends were in town. Other than that I recall only one trip last year down to Del Mar.

I agree with you about Optional Claimers, however, no matter where they’re run. Much like Starter Allowances I think they’re an invitation for larceny and would gladly see them banished.

And 2YO racing should – in my opinion – be outlawed.

Druther
04-13-2001, 10:15 PM
You think racing in California doesn't stink, take a look at tonight's serving at Bay Meadows.

8 races, 47 horses after the early scratches. It's so bad the first 2 races have only 4 horses each. And they're maidens!

I respect that Stronach is entitled to do whatever he wants with his money, but if were him I'd sell it all off and get out so fast youd' think another earthquake struck.

Nobody in California gives a damn about the racing industry anymore. Including me.

Dave Schwartz
04-14-2001, 01:26 AM
Druther,

And yet I am finding that SoCal is the easiest circuit to beat in the country, with NY a close second.

While I am not thrilled with the NoCal productions, the southern stuff is still excellent racing.
Just one man's opinion.

Tom
04-14-2001, 10:17 AM
I tend to agree with Dave-California racing is easy if you pick your spots. Sure there a lot of races that you just pass-but there are enough good ones a week so you can hve some action. I still like No Califirnia, but I get a lot less playable races a week.
My favorite is Penn National, though-lots of really good prices on logical horses. I am just starting to follow Moutaineer, but it looks very promising.
And yesterday was opening day at Finger Lakes-the weather was beautiful, the field werre full, the track was in good shape, everything was too good to be true.
Even the snack bar speccial was good-I think it was
Ecoli and fries. HEHEHE
Every race was 4.5 furlongs-but speed was not golden.
The season is here-spring, triple crowns, turf racing,
Saratoga just around the corner...life is good.
I'll have to make a trip to Penn soon-nothing like night racing on a warm clear evening. I just love the smell of
horse**** in the evening!
Tom

JimG
04-14-2001, 10:40 AM
Tom:

Only to be toppled by Horse**** in the morning<g>. Seriously though, I still find good plays in So Cal racing although some cards can be dismal. Weekends are usually ok. I go back and forth between upper class and lower class racing but find I do best if I do not mix the two. Saratoga by day and Penn by night is too much culture shock for me. I do find Charles Town and Penn National to be a nice complement for each other when I am looking for some night racing.

They are sort of a modern day racing circuit since the same outfit runs both and they are close enough to do some shipping back and forth.

Anybody ever figured out Keeneland yet? This is my 4th year dabbling with it and no success yet.

Jim

TonyK@HSH
04-16-2001, 11:01 AM
Tom,

I too enjoy the racing at Penn National and like the NW races. I've found them to be an excellent vehicle for some not-so-obvious horses. I'm from that area and spend many nights there. If you plan to visit in the future, feel free to drop me a line. I'd be glad hook up with you.

Tony

Druther
04-16-2001, 12:56 PM
Tony

Unfortunately, Penn National isn’t one of the tracks covered in my downloads but I like what I’ve seen about that outfit. For one thing, they send out their own signal at high speed and from the races I’ve watched it looks to be a neat, clean track. The quality of the horses may not be up to “California fields” but I also feel most of my statements about California racing are misinterpreted anyhow.

First of all, whatever quality California racing was or is, it’s the result of economics. California has a population equal to – if not greater – than Canada. There’s a reason some of the top trainers, jockeys and horses are here. If South Dakota had the population/weather, they’d all be found in Pierre.

California does not allow any form of online wagering. The state’s position is, if you live in this state, you either go to the track or OTB or you don’t play.

In California, the OTBs are located in county fairgrounds. While a few have modern facilities, most are dumps. There’s one no more than 10 minutes from my home. It’s an ancient Butler building. Cold in the winter, hot in the summer and so noisy you can’t hear yourself think.

California has a law that no more than 23 out-of-state races can be simulcast into the state each day. If you think you can go to the track or OTB and play a race at Penn or DED because you found a spot play, think again.

The tracks that are simulcast into California each day tend to be whichever New York track is running and whichever track owned by Stronach or Churchill is currently racing. And because of the time differences, those tracks may be into their 3rd or 4th race before the doors are opened in California. If your spot play’s is the DD at AQU, you’re in for a surprise.

California has a pseudo intellectual for a governor. He’s anti-racing. Or, to be fair, he’s anti-gambling. The CHRB hasn’t had a full board for years. In fact, it couldn’t even conduct business for an extended period of many months because it didn’t even have a quorum. With all of the other problems the state has, political support/solutions for the state’s racing industry isn’t high on anyone’s radar screen.

California – more than any other state – has suffered from small fields. The tracks in the northern part of the state are the worst. When a track can’t find more than 4 runners for a Maiden Claimer, things are what you might call “bad.”

While California has one of the lowest takes – at least on straight wagering – few people know that the state gets an enormous chunk of it (it varies according to the amount of the meet’s total handle) and all of it is channeled into the general fund. Not one cent is earmarked for education. Yet 100% of the state’s revenue from lottery sales goes to education. You can buy a lottery ticket anywhere. But if you want to play the 6th at Santa Anita, you either drive to Santa Anita or your nearest OTB dump.

I could go on, but you get the idea of my gripes. And if I could play Penn, I would.

Druther
04-16-2001, 01:32 PM
BTW, I forgot to mention that what I also like about Penn is that it races at night.

There are many days that I can't play during the day because of other things. It'd be neat to be able to scan the Penn program for a spot play.

And, believe me, I have nothing against anyone who likes playing one of those NW races. What I said was that I personally dislike them. I also stink when it comes to any ability with body language.

I have lots of short comings. But I can also finds plays that everyone else misses by a mile. And I have far greater patience in passing races than anyone I know.

And my point is - play to your strengths. Nobody does everything well. Doctors, lawyers, accountants and construction people - every profession - specialize. And that's what I believe handicappers have to do, too.