PDA

View Full Version : PDFs & E-mail, help

BIG RED
01-17-2004, 12:55 AM
Everytime I get a pdf file sent to me thru e-mail, I go to download and the adobe won't let me. It says cannot open file either not supported file type or file has been corrupted (for ex.- sent as e-mail attachment and wasn't correctly decoded ) Also tried downloading to computer and it still won't open, but it's there. I'm new with these, as you can tell! Any quick fixes??:mad:

GameTheory
01-17-2004, 01:38 AM
Your ISP/email host probably has a virus scanner that doesn't allow .pdf files (often .exe files aren't allowed either). If they are being sent by someone you know, have them either zip the file (.zip extension) before sending it to you, or simply changing the file extension to .txt or .zip, and then after you save the file on your end change it back to .pdf.

Not guaranteed to be the problem, but worth a shot. Trying sending a .pdf file to yourself and see if it works...

Thomason
01-18-2004, 11:26 AM
Big Red,

Game Theory is right. If you're using Outlook Express, I can be real specific about what's causing your problem.

I have Outlook Express 6. There is a default setting that will prevent you from opening certain files. To change the setting, select "Tools", "Options" and "Security". UNCHECK the item "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus."

I could not open a .pdf file or an .exe file if someone sent it to me as an attachment. It has been downloaded and it's there on your computer, but the attachment is grayed out. Change that setting and you can open and save it.

Of course, it would be advisable if you had Norton Antivirus or something comparable.

thomason

ceejay
01-18-2004, 01:29 PM
Also, make sure that you are using Acrobat 6 reader rather than one of the earlier verisons.

Red Knave
01-18-2004, 02:02 PM
I had this happen right after I "upgraded" to Acrobat 6. I had not completely removed Acrobat 5 and some of the peripheral files from Ver 5 were interfering with Ver 6.
I wound up doing a Remove on both versions then using File Explorer to go to Program Files\Adobe and removing everything under this directory.

GameTheory
01-18-2004, 04:39 PM
I was talking about the file being filtered/altered before it ever reached your computer (by your email host -- many will not let through .exe's anymore), but your home virus protection / email scanner may be doing the same thing as suggested above...

BIG RED
01-21-2004, 08:49 AM
Thanks people, been away for a couple of days. I do have the norton virus scanner, and just before I tried to open them I downloaded the new adobe 6.0. Will get back to you after I try a few things. Did notify sender of files, still waiting. BIG RED

BIG RED
01-21-2004, 10:31 AM
just tried mailing to myself and it came up totally blank, still working on it.

BIG RED
01-21-2004, 12:03 PM
Went back to e-mail and tried taking off Norton before opening. This time I atleast saw the file open and 'flow' thru the air, then it shut down again?? Could it be the Adobe? It seems to open everything else.