PDA

View Full Version : Ryan's no different than ANY other politician

sammy the sage
08-17-2012, 08:36 AM
He's a LIAR...and a flip-flopper

http://news.yahoo.com/presented-letters-ryan-admits-requesting-stimulus-cash-234025910--abc-news-politics.html

""Two years ago, during an interview on WBZ's NewsRadio he was asked by a caller if he "accepted any money" into his district. Ryan said he did not.

"I'm not one [of those] people who votes for something then writes to the government to ask them to send us money. I did not request any stimulus money," the congressman answered.

But as we've now learned, Ryan did write letters. He did request stimulus funds.

"The Olympics may be over but Paul Ryan could have gotten a gold medal in hypocrisy," a senior administration official told ABC's Jake Tapper. "As someone who spends all day every day railing against government spending, but then secretly seeks millions in funds for pet projects, he is as Washington as it gets."

Saratoga_Mike
08-17-2012, 08:56 AM
You got him Sammy. Glad he's debating Biden and not you.

sammy the sage
08-17-2012, 09:15 AM
:lol:

Wish I could DEBATE all 4 of them AT once... ;)

Saratoga_Mike
08-17-2012, 09:17 AM
That I'd like to see

cj's dad
08-17-2012, 09:38 AM
He's a LIAR...and a flip-flopper

http://news.yahoo.com/presented-letters-ryan-admits-requesting-stimulus-cash-234025910--abc-news-politics.html

""Two years ago, during an interview on WBZ's NewsRadio he was asked by a caller if he "accepted any money" into his district. Ryan said he did not.

"I'm not one [of those] people who votes for something then writes to the government to ask them to send us money. I did not request any stimulus money," the congressman answered.

But as we've now learned, Ryan did write letters. He did request stimulus funds.

"The Olympics may be over but Paul Ryan could have gotten a gold medal in hypocrisy," a senior administration official told ABC's Jake Tapper. "As someone who spends all day every day railing against government spending, but then secretly seeks millions in funds for pet projects, he is as Washington as it gets."

Ah, the old unnamed reliable source.

acorn54
08-17-2012, 10:22 AM
i think he wants to allow people to invest part of their own social security payments into the investment vehicle of their choice.
brilliant.
most people don't know how to budget their own finances now, imagine if their money for retirement was given to them to invest! lord help us.
then in their old age they will be penniless and we will have to shoot them.
brilliant!
methinks mr. romney picked a real screwball for a v.p.

rastajenk
08-17-2012, 10:28 AM
What a surprise.

lamboguy
08-17-2012, 10:37 AM
he might be debating HILLARY

Valuist
08-17-2012, 10:43 AM
i think he wants to allow people to invest part of their own social security payments into the investment vehicle of their choice.
brilliant.
most people don't know how to budget their own finances now, imagine if their money for retirement was given to them to invest! lord help us.
brilliant!
methinks mr. romney picked a real screwball for a v.p.

They don't have to make that choice. Ryan is just trying to give them THAT OPTION. That is in stark contrast to Obamacare, which will penalize those that don't get insurance.

Valuist
08-17-2012, 11:00 AM
When I think of Ryan, I'm reminded of a quote I saw recently from Jeff Macke:

"The problem with being real smart is waiting for the rest of the world to catch up".

My fear is the public won't "catch up" to Ryan by November.

acorn54
08-17-2012, 11:11 AM
They don't have to make that choice. Ryan is just trying to give them THAT OPTION. That is in stark contrast to Obamacare, which will penalize those that don't get insurance.

do you really think people are wise enough to know whether they are capable with investing money or not?
everyone i know who "plays" the stock market thinks he is smarter than the next guy.
then when these people lose their money and are penniless in their old age, the government will have to pick up the tab for their room and board-brilliant!

Valuist
08-17-2012, 11:28 AM
do you really think people are wise enough to know whether they are capable with investing money or not?
everyone i know who "plays" the stock market thinks he is smarter than the next guy.
then when these people lose their money and are penniless in their old age, the government will have to pick up the tab for their room and board-brilliant!

Some are capable of it. I trust myself handling my own money better than a financial planner who has 300 clients. Do I believe social security will be around forever, or even another 30 years? Not a chance.

You are basically saying people shouldn't have a choice. Government knows best, just like they always do.

GaryG
08-17-2012, 11:36 AM
I know nothing about the stock market, but I assume that it is like playing the horses. Those that make a profit at it are usually the ones who put in the many hours of work. And, those who dabble in it are more than likely the ones who lose. I can't imagine giving my money to someone to invest for me. If I don't have what I think is a good basis for putting my $$ down then it stays in the bank.

mostpost
08-17-2012, 11:59 AM
Ah, the old unnamed reliable source.
Also known as copies of the letters Ryan signed and sent to the government requesting stimulus money. :rolleyes:

acorn54
08-17-2012, 12:25 PM
Some are capable of it. I trust myself handling my own money better than a financial planner who has 300 clients. Do I believe social security will be around forever, or even another 30 years? Not a chance.

You are basically saying people shouldn't have a choice. Government knows best, just like they always do.

okay let people play with the money they contribute to social security.
what is your solution for those that lose their money due to poor investments, are alone in their old age, without family to care for them.
it is not called the "safety net", for nothing.

Greyfox
08-17-2012, 12:31 PM
I have a Question.

"Hands up if you know any Federal politician who HAS NOT flip-flopped and lied?"

(I rest my case. Some do it more than others. Take Obama for instance...)

NJ Stinks
08-17-2012, 12:35 PM
Let's see if I got this right.

Ryan never ran a business. Nor has he ever invested his own money in his own business.

How can conservatives trust this guy? :p

In fact, this appears to be the extent of Ryan's exposure to any work outside of government work unless you count working as a kid at McDonald's:

Early Life

Paul Davis Ryan was born on January 29, 1970 in Janesville, Wisconsin. Father Paul Ryan Sr. worked as an attorney, and mother Betty Ryan was a stay-at-home mom. Ryan has one sister, Janet, and two brothers, Tobin and Stan.

After graduating from Miami University in Ohio with a degree in economics and political science in 1992, Paul Ryan began working as a marketing consultant for a family run branch of a Wisconsin construction company. He entered politics a few years later, working as a legislative aide for U.S. Senator Bob Kasten, and later for Senator Sam Brownback and New York Republican Representative Jack Kemp.

Lnk: http://www.biography.com/people/paul-ryan-20828085

Of further interest to conservatives who despise government types is the fact that Ryan actually started government work a 22 (in 1992) while apparently working as the marketing consultant mntioned above. See paste below.

Prior work: Aide to U.S. Sen. Robert Kasten of Wisconsin, 1992; legislative director for U.S. Sen. Sam Brownback of Kansas, 1995-1997; speechwriter for Jack Kemp vice-presidential campaign, 1996

Link: http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/gen-politics/paul-ryan-biography/nQrL8/

Oh well.

Valuist
08-17-2012, 12:35 PM
So Ryan was opposed to the stimulus. Most conservatives were.

When the stimulus went thru, why would he not ask for funds for his district? He wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't.

mostpost
08-17-2012, 12:42 PM
So Ryan was opposed to the stimulus. Most conservatives were.

When the stimulus went thru, why would he not ask for funds for his district? He wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't.
The problem, which you are blind to, is his repeated denials that he asked for stimulus money. And the fact that he consistently claimed the stimulus was not working, while writing letters explaining how many jobs the money he was requesting would create in his district.

Nobody is saying he should not have asked for the money. Only that he should have been more forthcoming about it.

Valuist
08-17-2012, 12:56 PM
The problem, which you are blind to, is his repeated denials that he asked for stimulus money. And the fact that he consistently claimed the stimulus was not working, while writing letters explaining how many jobs the money he was requesting would create in his district.

Nobody is saying he should not have asked for the money. Only that he should have been more forthcoming about it.

Actually, the REAL problem is the stimulus didn't work. If we could go back in time, I'm sure Ryan would vote against it again. Do I really believe he felt it would create long term jobs? Of course not. Did he have to present a case where it could help in the short term? Absolutely. Was there 0% benefit to the stimulus? No. But did we get anywhere in benefits near $900 billion? I hope you know the answer to that.......but something tells me you don't.

PaceAdvantage
08-17-2012, 01:03 PM
brilliant.
brilliant!
methinks mr. romney picked a real screwball for a v.p.When you have a 401K, you have the ability to pick and choose where you want your money allocated. Would Ryan's SS recommendations be any different than this?

Why do we allow people to allocate where their 401k money is invested?

The government and/or "experts" (the same experts who have blown people's 401ks in the past?) should be the only ones allowed to make decisions for us...is that what you advocate?

PaceAdvantage
08-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Let's see if I got this right.

Ryan never ran a business. Nor has he ever invested his own money in his own business.

How can conservatives trust this guy? :p

In fact, this appears to be the extent of Ryan's exposure to any work outside of government work unless you count working as a kid at McDonald's:

Early Life

Paul Davis Ryan was born on January 29, 1970 in Janesville, Wisconsin. Father Paul Ryan Sr. worked as an attorney, and mother Betty Ryan was a stay-at-home mom. Ryan has one sister, Janet, and two brothers, Tobin and Stan.

After graduating from Miami University in Ohio with a degree in economics and political science in 1992, Paul Ryan began working as a marketing consultant for a family run branch of a Wisconsin construction company. He entered politics a few years later, working as a legislative aide for U.S. Senator Bob Kasten, and later for Senator Sam Brownback and New York Republican Representative Jack Kemp.

Lnk: http://www.biography.com/people/paul-ryan-20828085

Of further interest to conservatives who despise government types is the fact that Ryan actually started government work a 22 (in 1992) while apparently working as the marketing consultant mntioned above. See paste below.

Prior work: Aide to U.S. Sen. Robert Kasten of Wisconsin, 1992; legislative director for U.S. Sen. Sam Brownback of Kansas, 1995-1997; speechwriter for Jack Kemp vice-presidential campaign, 1996

Link: http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/gen-politics/paul-ryan-biography/nQrL8/

Oh well.You mean he has more work experience than Obama in the private sector? That's good enough for me then, especially since he's only running for VP.

rastajenk
08-17-2012, 01:46 PM
He's a Miami grad, that's good enough for me.

Signed,
Rastajenk
M.U. Class of '78

ArlJim78
08-17-2012, 01:47 PM
it's takes some chutzpah to challenge Ryan on anything with regard to the VP post, considering the embarrassing doofuss that currently occupies that office.

Did you here that they sent Biden back to Delaware, he's been benched after having yet another gaffetastic week.

acorn54
08-17-2012, 02:19 PM
When you have a 401K, you have the ability to pick and choose where you want your money allocated. Would Ryan's SS recommendations be any different than this?

The government and/or "experts" (the same experts who have blown people's 401ks in the past?) should be the only ones allowed to make decisions for us...is that what you advocate?

the social security system we have is a bad system, to support people in their old age when they can no longer work, but all the other alternatives are worse, in my opinion. we can agree to disagree.

cj's dad
08-17-2012, 05:34 PM
the social security system we have is a bad system, to support people in their old age when they can no longer work, but all the other alternatives are worse, in my opinion. we can agree to disagree.

R U KIDDING ME ? I have paid into SS since I was 16. Now, since I am close to retirement age, I shouldn't get any benefit ?

I'm sure you are fine with the anchors who work zero f-in days and receive everything they need from the gub'mint.

NJ Stinks
08-17-2012, 06:30 PM
When you have a 401K, you have the ability to pick and choose where you want your money allocated. Would Ryan's SS recommendations be any different than this?

Just in case you did not know, the following is pasted from SS website;

By law, income to the trust funds must be invested, on a daily basis, in securities guaranteed as to both principal and interest by the Federal government. All securities held by the trust funds are "special issues" of the United States Treasury. Such securities are available only to the trust funds.

In the past, the trust funds have held marketable Treasury securities, which are available to the general public. Unlike marketable securities, special issues can be redeemed at any time at face value. Marketable securities are subject to the forces of the open market and may suffer a loss, or enjoy a gain, if sold before maturity. Investment in special issues gives the trust funds the same flexibility as holding cash. Data on trust fund investments (http://www.ssa.gov/oact/progdata/investheld.html) provide a breakdown by interest rate and trust fund for any month after 1989.

Ocala Mike
08-17-2012, 10:30 PM

Yes, but he worked as a salesman for Oscar Meyer, and reputedly drove their Weinermobile. I would say he is thus supremely qualified to accomodate the American senior citizen on Medicare after the BOHICA order comes down from DC (Bend Over, Here It Comes Again!).

PaceAdvantage
08-17-2012, 10:50 PM
This was a hilarious read:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tom-morello-paul-ryan-is-the-embodiment-of-the-machine-our-music-rages-against-20120816

Don't mistake me, I clearly see that Ryan has a whole lotta "rage" in him: A rage against women, a rage against immigrants, a rage against workers, a rage against gays, a rage against the poor, a rage against the environment. Basically the only thing he's not raging against is the privileged elite he's groveling in front of for campaign contributions.

You see, the super rich must rationalize having more than they could ever spend while millions of children in the U.S. go to bed hungry every night. So, when they look themselves in the mirror, they convince themselves that "Those people are undeserving. They're . . . lesser." Some of these guys on the extreme right are more cynical than Paul Ryan, but he seems to really believe in this stuff. This unbridled rage against those who have the least is a cornerstone of the Romney-Ryan ticket.

But Rage's music affects people in different ways. Some tune out what the band stands for and concentrate on the moshing and throwing elbows in the pit. For others, Rage has changed their minds and their lives. Many activists around the world, including organizers of the global occupy movement, were radicalized by Rage Against the Machine and work tirelessly for a more humane and just planet. Perhaps Paul Ryan was moshing when he should have been listening.

My hope is that maybe Paul Ryan is a mole. Maybe Rage did plant some sensible ideas in this extreme fringe right wing nut job. Maybe if elected, he'll pardon Leonard Peltier. Maybe he'll throw U.S. military support behind the Zapatistas. Maybe he'll fill Guantanamo Bay with the corporate criminals that are funding his campaign – and then torture them with Rage music 24/7. That's one possibility. But I'm not betting on it.

JustRalph
08-17-2012, 11:09 PM
yeah, we just don't understand the music. That's the problem.

Jann Wenner's personal viewpoint has been a piece of shit for the last 20 years.

The only way you get a voice in RStone is if you agree with the pervert.

PaceAdvantage
08-17-2012, 11:16 PM
Jann Wenner's personal viewpoint has been a piece of shit for the last 20 years.Am I reading his Wiki page right? He was married to a woman whom he had three children with, and separated in 1995. Since then, he has been with his partner, a Mr. Matt Nye, whom he also has three additional children.

Plus it looks like he never actually divorced his wife.

Swell guy... :lol:

jognlope
08-18-2012, 12:02 AM
Up until ACA, people were already being penalized with high premiums due to unfunded patients.

Lefty
08-18-2012, 12:08 AM
acorn, it's amazing to me that pipples like you think people are too stupid to invest their own money. Meanwhile Medicare and SS are broke, so I guess we would be better off to let the govt continue to invest for us, eh what? :bang: :bang: :bang:

acorn54
08-18-2012, 04:00 AM
acorn, it's amazing to me that pipples like you think people are too stupid to invest their own money. Meanwhile Medicare and SS are broke, so I guess we would be better off to let the govt continue to invest for us, eh what? :bang: :bang: :bang:

all i know is that people were too stupid to know that they could not afford a house and we had a housing bubble and a financial mess as a result
and now we have a college school loan crisis where kids today don't have enough sense to know that they are getting their lives all messed up from borrowing for college, when the jobs they will get won't cover the expense they incurr.

newtothegame
08-18-2012, 05:14 AM
Up until ACA, people were already being penalized with high premiums due to unfunded patients.
So, now they will get the high premiums AND the penalty ...nice reasoning there JOG :bang:

newtothegame
08-18-2012, 05:16 AM
all i know is that people were too stupid to know that they could not afford a house and we had a housing bubble and a financial mess as a result
and now we have a college school loan crisis where kids today don't have enough sense to know that they are getting their lives all messed up from borrowing for college, when the jobs they will get won't cover the expense they incurr.
Partially right. People were only too stupid ONCE the government stepped in and told the people they had a RIGHT to home ownership (no matter the price).

newtothegame
08-18-2012, 05:17 AM
And aren't most of the loans government subsidized???? So who really is the stupid one????

Tom
08-18-2012, 07:13 PM
R U KIDDING ME ? I have paid into SS since I was 16. Now, since I am close to retirement age, I shouldn't get any benefit ?

I'm sure you are fine with the anchors who work zero f-in days and receive everything they need from the gub'mint.

Can I get an AMEN brother?

Unlike 47% of the leeches we let live here, WE PAID OUR WAY.

Saratoga_Mike
08-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Can I get an AMEN brother?Unlike 47% of the leeches we let live here, WE PAID OUR WAY.

Why do you view Social Security as so sacrosanct? As you've said in the past, circumstances change. If you believe we have a right to reduce the pension benefits of already retired public sector workers, we certainly can take a look at SS. Maybe I don't remember your stance on public sector pensions correctly.

Tom
08-18-2012, 07:30 PM
The difference is as a taxpayer, I PAID MY SS.
The public union drags are getting money from ME TOO.

There is a hell of a difference in SS and a publicly funded pension.
They can have whatever is left after my taxes stop going towards it.
They pension is their problem , not mine.
My stance is if you paid into it, you deserve it.
If I am paying into it, you can go to HELL. The sooner the better.

JustRalph
08-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Why do you view Social Security as so sacrosanct? As you've said in the past, circumstances change. If you believe we have a right to reduce the pension benefits of already retired public sector workers, we certainly can take a look at SS. Maybe I don't remember your stance on public sector pensions correctly.

Mike, please take into account that most public sector employees don't pay into social security. That means a 12% advantage in salary.

Ocala Mike
08-18-2012, 09:53 PM
Mike, please take into account that most public sector employees don't pay into social security. That means a 12% advantage in salary.

Really? I must be an outlier, then. I am retired from NY State where I worked from 1972-1996. I paid into Social Security for 25 years. Perhaps your statement applies to current public sector employees.

acorn54
08-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Really? I must be an outlier, then. I am retired from NY State where I worked from 1972-1996. I paid into Social Security for 25 years. Perhaps your statement applies to current public sector employees.

did you work for the railroad, i think they pay into it
there is some special situation for them, not quite clear what it is, maybe they collect both a pension and social security

JustRalph
08-19-2012, 05:28 PM

Most cops and fireman don't pay into it. There are a lot of cops and fireman.

The nice part is that almost every cop and fireman I knew, worked part time somewhere and paid in a small amount to qualify for SS when they retire, at a reduced rate though. Some only for a few years, and then once qualified they quit. So they get both benefits when they get older.

Steve R
08-21-2012, 09:08 AM
Actually, the REAL problem is the stimulus didn't work. If we could go back in time, I'm sure Ryan would vote against it again. Do I really believe he felt it would create long term jobs? Of course not. Did he have to present a case where it could help in the short term? Absolutely. Was there 0% benefit to the stimulus? No. But did we get anywhere in benefits near $900 billion? I hope you know the answer to that.......but something tells me you don't.
Maybe you should watch videos of speeches he made in 2002 when on the floor of Congress he was touting the virtues of Keynesian economics as the salvation of an economy in recession. There he was proclaiming how government spending in bad economic times keeps people working, creates new jobs and generates the revenues required to keep the government functional. And he noted this approach was proven historically. On top of that he was advocating extended unemployment insurance and subsidized health care for people out of work.

I don't live in the US so I don't give crap who wins in November. From the outside I can't see much difference. But I continually marvel at politicians from both sides who defend a political philosophy as if it was written by the hand of God and then, when convenient, defend the opposite position with equal vigor when it serves their political purpose.

Ryan, like Romney, like Obama, like Biden, like all the others is a scummy p.o.s. Why anyone believes anything a politician says instead of examining what they have actually done confounds me. If you had followed Obama's voting record prior to 2008 it would have been obvious that the "hope and change" message was bullshit. He had been in the pocket of the oligarchs all along. Similarly, Romney's rants against the Heritage Foundation-inspired Obamacare is ludicrous considering it was essentially the same plan he instituted when governor of Massachusetts.

That people rally around these hypocritical pricks with such fervor is truly astounding.

Anyway, this is the link to the videos of Ryan advocating Keynesian economic stimulus in 2002: http://www.alternet.org/hot-news-views/watch-chris-hayes-skewer-paul-ryans-budget-hypocrisy

lamboguy
08-21-2012, 09:37 AM
on paper Paul Ryan sounds great, that would be in theory. in reality, it will be pretty tough to for anyone to carry out a great economic plan like he has.

the United States budget today runs on borrowed money. the revenues that the treasury takes in is hardly enough to pay the interest on the debt owed. then you have to have a military, maintain roads and air space, and run a government. the fact is that we can't survive to many years of this borrow to run the government no matter how small you want to make it. you can't even tax people more without throwing most of the population to the streets of this country. Bill Clinton got lucky with the internet boom, and then the money got squandered after that. we need another blockbuster industry pronto to get revenues into the treasury.

Lefty
08-21-2012, 01:40 PM
SteveR, I think what he believes now is much more relevant than what he believed in 2002. If he has seen the error of his ways, I say good.

Steve R
08-21-2012, 02:44 PM
SteveR, I think what he believes now is much more relevant than what he believed in 2002. If he has seen the error of his ways, I say good.
It's not just what he believes now. In 2002 he was insistent that government spending during economic downturns was a tested and proven effective way to restore employment. In those 10 years there has been little to challenge those original conclusions compared to the many decades of economic cycles that came before.

Sorry, but I lump him with all the other disingenuous and opportunistic politicians who jump on board a movement because at the moment it represents the best path they can follow to achieve power. He's a phony and apparently always has been. His ridiculous explanation for requesting stimulus funds after he said he didn't and after he voted against the bill is pure b.s. Interesting, though, that he supported the 2002 Bush stimulus package and that he voted for a $715 billion stimulus bill that was proposed by Republicans as an alternative to Obama’s and with an almost identical price tag. That said, he's probably not a bigger phony than the overwhelming majority of Congressmen. I do think he's more dangerous than most because he exudes the arrogance of a politician driven more by ego than principle. Unfortunately there are plenty of those including the last three POTUSs.

Lefty
08-21-2012, 02:50 PM
He is representing, right now, at this moment, what this country needs--change if you will, change from socialist ideals and ideas back to the capitalistic ones that will put this country back to work.
And as a voter, that's what matters to me.