PDA

View Full Version : Cabrera suspended for 50 games

Ca9
08-15-2012, 02:54 PM
All star Melky Cabrera suspended 50 games.

Giants' All-Star Cabrera suspended 50 games (http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8271981/melky-cabrera-san-francisco-giants-suspended-50-games)

Robert Fischer
08-15-2012, 02:56 PM
The first paragraph or two I was seeing "violated... Drug Prevention"...

coke problem? multiple marijuana violations??

Nope =Testosterone overage...

Ca9
08-15-2012, 02:57 PM
The first paragraph or two I was seeing "violated... Drug Prevention"...

coke problem? multiple marijuana violations??

Nope =Testosterone overage...
Cabrera, the MVP of the 2012 All-Star Game, tested positive for testosterone. His suspension is effective immediately.

Robert Fischer
08-15-2012, 03:07 PM
ESPN.com news services
San Francisco Giants outfielder Melky Cabrera has been suspended 50 games after violating Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.

Cabrera, the MVP of the 2012 All-Star Game, tested positive for testosterone. His suspension is effective immediately.

cj
08-15-2012, 04:01 PM

Does this mean the NL has to give home field advantage back?

bettheoverlay
08-15-2012, 04:22 PM
He finishes the season with 501 plate appearances, you need 502 to qualify for the batting title. But I think there is a provision and formula used when you fall short of plate appearances, in which Melky might still win the title if no other batting average is close.

Robert Fischer
08-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Testosterone makes the HGH that everyone takes, work better.

cj
08-15-2012, 04:41 PM
He finishes the season with 501 plate appearances, you need 502 to qualify for the batting title. But I think there is a provision and formula used when you fall short of plate appearances, in which Melky might still win the title if no other batting average is close.

If he would still win by just giving him outs for the number of at bats he is short, I think he still gets it. Obviously in this case one at bat won't matter too much. I believe George Brett won the title with his 390 despite well less than 502 at bats.

bettheoverlay
08-15-2012, 04:49 PM
Hopefully, McCutchen can stay above him, and/or Votto gets hot when he returns, or otherwise the NL will have a tainted MVP one year and a bogus batting champ the next.

cj
08-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Hopefully, McCutchen can stay above him, and/or Votto gets hot when he returns, or otherwise the NL will have a tainted MVP one year and a bogus batting champ the next.

Hasn't Braun kind of laid to rest the tainted MVP argument with his numbers this year?

Valuist
08-15-2012, 05:47 PM
Hasn't Braun kind of laid to rest the tainted MVP argument with his numbers this year?

Absolutely. His numbers are right on line. I was skeptical coming into the season but he is making it look legit. Kind of strange considering the suspension was thrown out only due to a technicality.

cj
08-15-2012, 05:56 PM
Absolutely. His numbers are right on line. I was skeptical coming into the season but he is making it look legit. Kind of strange considering the suspension was thrown out only due to a technicality.

I'm not a big fan of saying it was a technicality. Those things are in place for a reason. I saw plenty of drug testing in my Air Force days to know they aren't full proof.

speed
08-15-2012, 06:49 PM
ESPN.com news services
San Francisco Giants outfielder Melky Cabrera has been suspended 50 games after violating Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.
I just fell out of my hammock reading this.
JOINT Drug Prevention. Then again, falling on my head might help me. :)

horses4courses
08-15-2012, 07:08 PM
Is there anyone reading this who actually cares about the Giants, and how this affects the rest of their season?
Or, does this just screw up a few peoples' fantasy teams?

I have a feeling that San Francisco fans are a rare commodity around here.

Robert Fischer
08-15-2012, 08:05 PM
I just fell out of my hammock reading this.
JOINT Drug Prevention. Then again, falling on my head might help me. :)

apparently these programs were instituted in the '60s...

Steve 'StatMan'
08-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Yeah, that is kinda funny. I'm sure they test for drugs that both are and are not admistered via JOINTS. :lol:

(<head Choomer on> This joint seems pretty good to me. :cool: , head Choomer off> )

Valuist
08-15-2012, 11:45 PM
Is there anyone reading this who actually cares about the Giants, and how this affects the rest of their season?

They can still be ok. They were fortunate to acquire HUnter Pence recently, and Aubrey Huff should be off the DL soon. He hasn't done much this year but if he can return to form from previous seasons, they will be ok. The Giants will go as far as their pitching takes them.

ElKabong
08-15-2012, 11:57 PM

i watch as many SF games as I can (mlb extra innings) they're my 2nd favorite team.

Their fans (in the stands) are as loud as any in baseball. Passionate as hell. Of course if they had to deal with our weather, 105 degrees at first pitch as opposed to 70 in the Bay, it might be a different story

ElKabong
08-16-2012, 12:01 AM
They can still be ok. They were fortunate to acquire HUnter Pence recently, and Aubrey Huff should be off the DL soon. He hasn't done much this year but if he can return to form from previous seasons, they will be ok. The Giants will go as far as their pitching takes them.

Timmy has had his problems....they miss the ******** looking guy with the fake colored beard, but others have picked up what slack they can

Hunter has been in a funk for awhile, hopefully he can break out quick

Canarsie
08-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Since he admitted using it I would have offered to halve the suspension if he turned over a vial of every illegitimate drug he took.

Of course what I just wrote is "fantasy" he would never do it. But in the one in a million chance he did some lab might be able to come up with a test that flags the masking agent.

BillW
08-16-2012, 01:46 PM

Random HGH testing doesn't come into effect till next year. In season testing only for probable cause this season. It is extremely unlikely that Braun wasn't guilty. Remember, there is absolutely no proof of any wrong doing, only a smart lawyer picking out a technicality. He easily could have continued use. For that matter how effective is HGH in the weeks and months after usage stops? I don't know :confused:

Robert Fischer
08-16-2012, 02:04 PM
I don't know what the off season testing policies are.

Surely if it isn't year round randoms, these guys will use steroids(in moderate to high doses) with HGH in the offseason.

In season there is apparently some kind of Limit on testosterone similar to horses and stuff like clenbuterol (or testosterone in some cases).

They take their HGH on schedule and can take small doses of steroids to get an advantage under the limit.

Valuist
08-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Random HGH testing doesn't come into effect till next year. In season testing only for probable cause this season. It is extremely unlikely that Braun wasn't guilty. Remember, there is absolutely no proof of any wrong doing, only a smart lawyer picking out a technicality. He easily could have continued use. For that matter how effective is HGH in the weeks and months after usage stops? I don't know :confused:

But if all the eyes are on you, like in Braun's case this year, do you take the chance and use? Isn't what happened to him enough for probable cause?

ElKabong
08-16-2012, 09:39 PM
one thing's for sure - josh hamilton's FA stock just went even higher after Milkman's PED outing. Teams are going to look at Melke and wonder if he'll slide back into an avg hitter w/ o the juice

Found this funny...I guess the Bronx is the 2010's equivalent of the 1990s Arlington

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/10/sports/baseball/melky-cabrera-reaches-new-heights-with-giants.html?_r=3&pagewanted=all

Through the first six years of his career, five of them with the Yankees, Cabrera was a .267 hitter. But from the beginning of last year through Thursday, after being prodded into more rigorous off-season workouts by Alex Rodriguez, his mentor and friend and former teammate, Cabrera had accumulated more hits, 288, than anyone in baseball.

ElKabong
08-16-2012, 09:41 PM
But if all the eyes are on you, like in Braun's case this year, do you take the chance and use? Isn't what happened to him enough for probable cause?

last nite Freddie Coleman on espn radio said the Balco guy was quoted that fully 1/2 MLB players are still on PEDs. Said there's a cream players can spread on them after games, is out of their system in 8 hrs...not super potent, but a PED nonetheless & is supposedly illegal / a substance that would sit a player if caught

cj
08-16-2012, 11:10 PM
last nite Freddie Coleman on espn radio said the Balco guy was quoted that fully 1/2 MLB players are still on PEDs. Said there's a cream players can spread on them after games, is out of their system in 8 hrs...not super potent, but a PED nonetheless & is supposedly illegal / a substance that would sit a player if caught

I was listening, interesting stuff. He says that the players know how to circumvent the system, and that they get probably 25% of the effect with what they do know as opposed to injecting. The guy, not surprisingly, knows his stuff and seems like he learned his lesson.

JustRalph
08-20-2012, 06:20 PM
Was reading how cabrera created a fake website and invented a mystery product that was being sold on the site? To explain the positive?

That is grand stuff :lol:

If he was dealing with a criminal investigation he would get hung for that

Valuist
08-20-2012, 07:59 PM
I guess this means no ginormous multi-year contract for Cabrera.

Mr G
08-20-2012, 08:11 PM
Was reading how cabrera created a fake website and invented a mystery product that was being sold on the site? To explain the positive?

That is grand stuff :lol:

If he was dealing with a criminal investigation he would get hung for that

Yep

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/melky-cabrera-bizarre-scam-avoid-drug-suspenion-attracts-attention-federal-investigators-article-1.1139909 (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/melky-cabrera-bizarre-scam-avoid-drug-suspenion-attracts-attention-federal-investigators-article-1.1139909)

ElKabong
08-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Bartolo Colon busted 2 days ago.....bye bye A's