PDA

View Full Version : tales of success

horsemaven
01-16-2004, 01:05 PM
I've been reading this board since early last year. Some of you may remember that I was on the winning Netcapper team as part of the Interboard Handicapping Championships. I digress.

This board, as far as horse racing knowledge, is "the" board. That's why I've always wondered why members rarely talk about their scores. I'd like to know how much you bet, how you bet, why you liked your key, etc.

Now, I had a pretty good day yesterday. I made that score at ehorseX in the first at GP. I collected $67.80 for every $2 wagered, the track price was $65.60. I bet $48 on the FG 7-8-9 pick 3 and picked up $386. The turf finale at the aforementioned Gulf resulted in a $1200+ trifecta collection. I liked the speed (winner) with the top late pace (third) for a paltry $20 investment. Since I won it offshore at Pinnacle (I'll take that seven percent), there are no "tax" implications.

Mike

ranchwest
01-16-2004, 03:34 PM
Congratulations on your big day.

This board has traditionally had a lot of cross words exchanged when people "red board" because it frequently comes across as chest thumping rather than a post mortem of the achievement strategy.

As for the "tax implications", I don't mean to rain on your parade, but the tax implications are still there, you are simply in a better position to ignore those tax implications than if you wagered onshore.

horsemaven
01-16-2004, 04:01 PM
Your points are well taken. But I might split hairs with you over
"redboarding" based on my post. That's something I've never been accused of previously anywhere. When it was popular at the Netcapper website to post regular spot plays, I had numerous months with an ROI of 2.5+ based on 15-20 selections with average prices of $15.

As far as taxes go, I've never been audited even though I had 27 "tax" tickets in 2001. That's because I report all documented
income. That's not to say, though, that I don't offset some of my winnings by itemizing deductions.

Mike

Tom
01-16-2004, 07:15 PM
Stop in the War Room and you can read about the scores as they happen. We are not bashfull about bragging about them.
My personal favorite score is the box car payoffs when Derek says a horse sucs! :D
Serioulsy, we do a lot of race diescting in the WR, and sometimes, someone throws out a real juicy one. I admitt I have learned a thing or two from Derek,,,he knows his stuff,

ranchwest
01-17-2004, 12:17 AM
Horsemaven,

You asked why people don't post about their good days.

I didn't say you were redboarding. I just pointed out that people here are a bit gun shy about posting their winners because of the feuds in the past over redboarding. Some of the criticisms were probably valid based on the specific situations involved.

What I believe would be interesting would be a post-race analysis of aspects of selection that may not have been obvious.

And, if you have a particularly good day like you did, I'm sure a lot of people would like to share your joy (send the check to... uh, guess that won't work, eh? lol).

lousycapperII
01-17-2004, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by horsemaven
That's why I've always wondered why members rarely talk about their scores. I'd like to know how much you bet, how you bet, why you liked your key, etc.
Mike

Mr. Horsemaven,

:D Winning players are not going to discuss their, as you put it, "scores" and wagers, any more than a person in business will tell you how large their business is and how much profit they make. I doubt there are more than 3 members of this forum whose vocation is wagering on horses. I hope to be one of them someday. The last 5 years of federal and state income tax returns will prove me wrong. LOL :D

-LCII

sq764
01-17-2004, 01:10 PM
I have always found that the quiet ones are the ones making money.. The loudmouths that hit a $100 exacta once every month are the habitual losers.

Dave_K
01-18-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by sq764
I have always found that the quiet ones are the ones making money.. The loudmouths that hit a $100 exacta once every month are the habitual losers.

I once heard it said: those who lose at the track say they break even, those who break even say they win, but those who win don't say anything.

sq764
01-18-2004, 11:04 AM
I say, if I break even after all the beers and horseracing, then I made money for the day! :-)

DealMe3
01-20-2004, 07:36 PM
I tend to agree with others that chest-thumping is pretty low class. If you were to sit next to me at an OTB; you'd never figured that I had won a tri or super. I just sit there, listen to the losers complain about how they think the track stewards are fixing a race, and then collect my winnings.

I've seen a lot of people thump their chest at the OTB. While it does get to be annoying from time to time; I smile when they quietly leave wondering why thier winning streak ended.

I've been reading this board for a while, and I'm not surprised that there are other people that feel the same about red boarding.

dav4463
01-20-2004, 10:22 PM
It drives me NUTS to be at Lone Star Park live racing to see the frat boy type or the know-it-all "Mr. BIG BUSINESS" suit type YELL AT THE TOP OF THEIR VOICE.......Come on 5, come on 5, come on 5, yep, you are the best and then proceed to cash their $8 exacta as the Steve Asmussen 3-5 shot edges the Cole Norman 2-1 horse !!!

superfecta
01-20-2004, 11:50 PM
the time at RP when a fella in front of me is yelling for his horses to come in,when they do he whoops it up as the tri pays him almost two grand.Well two races later he's rooting his horses in and wins another thousand +.he looks around serious as can be and says"now I'm even for the day,guess I'll go home".

JustRalph
01-21-2004, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by dav4463
It drives me NUTS to be at Lone Star Park live racing to see the frat boy type or the know-it-all "Mr. BIG BUSINESS" suit type YELL AT THE TOP OF THEIR VOICE.......Come on 5, come on 5, come on 5, yep, you are the best and then proceed to cash their $8 exacta as the Steve Asmussen 3-5 shot edges the Cole Norman 2-1 horse !!!

That would drive me nuts........thank god we can play from home....