PDA

View Full Version : Did Wise Dan break a bit early?

Ca9
08-11-2012, 09:07 PM
After watching the replay in slo mo did Wise Dan break a bit early?

A Ron Ellis horse was disqualified yesterday after breaking too soon.I saw no difference between the gate break from yesterday and today.Different rules?

Some_One
08-11-2012, 09:17 PM
His gate appears to open at the same time and rate as the others, just really good timing he lunges as the starter hits the button.

Robert Fischer
08-11-2012, 09:19 PM
I don't think he broke through the gate before the gate swung open.

It would take a frame-by-frame HD or at least sharp resolution to tell. I can get close to that but I couldn't tell. I thought he broke through on live action.

It looked like he may have been leaning into the gate and reared out of it the instant it opened, while the others were flat-footed.

EDIT- didn't see Some One's post, but agree.

Itamaraca
08-11-2012, 09:27 PM
did it (the fraction of a second, if, in fact, his gate opened early) matter?

Ca9
08-11-2012, 09:28 PM

Did it matter in the race?no.If it opened a fraction of a second soon he shouldve been declared a non starter,its a rule.

Stillriledup
08-11-2012, 09:55 PM

Did it matter in the race?no.If it opened a fraction of a second soon he shouldve been declared a non starter,its a rule.

The NY rule is the horse is disqualified, not declared a non starter.

Itamaraca
08-11-2012, 10:03 PM

We're talking about OBVIOUS cases. More importantly, cases where it gives a horse an advantage. If it were a SECOND, it would be more than OBVIOUS. You really want to DQ a horse like this for a thousandth of a second difference? I mean, doesn't the game have enough problems? If you're letting stewards make decisions based on how an event affects the outcome of the race, you really want to take down a horse that won by FIVE lengths (and could've won by more) because his gate opened 1,000th of a second earlier?

MightBeSosa
08-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Nothing happened. The gate of the 9 was open the same width as the 2, some of the others slightly lagged.

I suspect this minutia is the least of anyones problems at the Spa.

classhandicapper
08-12-2012, 11:13 PM
I know he just won a 500K race, but did anyone besides me think this was a somewhat unusual spot for him?

I know they planned on running Successful Dan in the Whitney, but this horse just missed in the Stephen Foster and ran a killer race on synthetic. The SF came up a little slow, but I thought it looked like a pretty strong and deep field. Plus he was already a Grade 1 winner on dirt.

It worked out really well, but I think I would have been more inclined to run this horse in the Whitney and then maybe the Del Mar Classic.

cj
08-12-2012, 11:52 PM
The Foster was on the slow side because of the pace. Wise Dan, Fort Larned, and Alternation have all returned to win in good time.

menifee
08-13-2012, 01:05 AM
I know he just won a 500K race, but did anyone besides me think this was a somewhat unusual spot for him?

I know they planned on running Successful Dan in the Whitney, but this horse just missed in the Stephen Foster and ran a killer race on synthetic. The SF came up a little slow, but I thought it looked like a pretty strong and deep field. Plus he was already a Grade 1 winner on dirt.

It worked out really well, but I think I would have been more inclined to run this horse in the Whitney and then maybe the Del Mar Classic.

It was an unusual spot. I was at the track on Saturday and when I saw he was entered I could not believe it. When I saw that I was getting 3/2 on him, I was ecstatic. I don't usually bet chalk, but he is an ultra impressive horse right now. He looked so beautiful on the track and given his class, I thought he would romp in that field. If he stays healthy, I can't wait to bet him in the Breeders Cup Classic. He is awesome on turf, dirt and synthetic. I can't remember an older horse that has accomplished that.

classhandicapper
08-13-2012, 11:02 AM
The Foster was on the slow side because of the pace. Wise Dan, Fort Larned, and Alternation have all returned to win in good time.

I agree that the pace was an issue in the final time, but Ron the Greek also ran much faster next out.

I think that race was a freaky combination of pace and the fact that the inside wasn't quite as fast as some of the other paths. So just about everyone was disadvantaged. It looked like a good race on paper.

Leparoux
08-13-2012, 04:33 PM

I thought it was an unusual spot as well but he was already a G2 winner on the turf. Just showing off how versatile this horse is. I wonder where they plan on him running in the Breeders Cup.