PDA

View Full Version : Handicapping for Bettor or Worse

cj
01-16-2004, 10:23 AM
Anyone heard of this book, or maybe even the author? It says it will be available April 1, 2004.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=2XPHAFPWDD&isbn=1581501056&itm=2

andicap
01-16-2004, 03:17 PM
here's more

http://www.eclipsepress.com/current_titles/B11-1080.html

cj
01-16-2004, 03:47 PM
It sounds very interesting in my humble opinion...maybe some fresh material for what has been a pretty stale topic lately.

Derek2U
01-16-2004, 06:15 PM
I disagree cause #1 he miss spelt better & also it should be
worseest or most worse or at least worser but never worst.

plainolebill
01-17-2004, 04:53 AM
Thanks for the heads up, I think I'll buy it. That author looks like a guy I used to see at Longacres.

Buddha
01-17-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Derek2U
I disagree cause #1 he miss spelt better & also it should be
worseest or most worse or at least worser but never worst.

i seriously hope you are joking or being sarcastic.

GameTheory
03-21-2004, 07:58 AM
This book is now available.

You can read a sample chapter here:

http://www.exclusivelyequine.com/cgi-bin/eenew.storefront/EN/Product/B11-1080

kingfin66
03-21-2004, 01:24 PM
I would be interested in reading some reviews by anyone who buys and reads this book. Based on the sample chapter regarding value, I'm not sure if this book is for me or not. I would be especially curious to hear about some of the handicapping angles.

It should be noted that this author does his horse playing at Emerald Downs in Auburn WA. This is a track featuring small fields, many maiden races with multiple first time starters, and is hard to make money at in general. There could be something interesting in the book for someone like me who attends/plays that track, so I'm open to his ideas.

cj
03-21-2004, 02:14 PM
I just purchased it, I'll post my thoughts once I receive it and have read it. It is cheaper at Barnes and Noble, even more so if you are a member as I am. $17 and change.

Memogram
03-22-2004, 01:42 PM
I will be looking forward to your review. I read at another site the author races horses and combines his experiences as an owner with those as handicapper for a different view of handicapping (as seen from owners/trainers). At least there is something new out there.

Steve

Memogram
03-22-2004, 02:32 PM
I forgot to post the ad:

Professional handicapper John Lindley offers horse players a practical guide on how to use available betting information to develop their own method. He explains the pros and cons of methods used by other popular handicapping authors, reveals how he prepares for a day at the races, and gives specific examples of how to maximize betting opportunities. As part-owner of several racehorses, Lindley also gives bettors a look at the behind-the-scenes decisions that can effect the outcome of their wagers.

Memogram
03-22-2004, 03:12 PM
In searches, I found out another new handicapping book is going to be released, this on by the Daily racing Form called Handicapping 101, but it isn't out yet

Tom
03-31-2004, 08:22 PM
Just got my copy of Bettor or Worse today from Amazon.
Thunbing thorugh it, it is an easy read, and flows nincely, interesting stuff. No rocket scinece, but in the style of William Scott's writing.
Going to pour a cold one, slice up a hot pepper to go with my shrimp ccoktail, and put the LazyBoy in its full, out position and have a good read tonight.

kingfin66
04-01-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Tom
Going to pour a cold one, slice up a hot pepper to go with my shrimp ccoktail, and put the LazyBoy in its full, out position and have a good read tonight.

So, what did you think?

Tom
04-01-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by kingfin66
So, what did you think?

So far, a fun read. Some good idead, not a lot of statistics or examples. The shrimp and the brewski, however, put me to sleep before I got too far into it.
Reading more tonight-will report Friday.

Speed Figure
04-01-2004, 10:55 PM
Tom,

Did you save some of those shrimp?:D

cj
04-06-2004, 02:34 PM
Tom,

Any update? I'm still waiting on my copy, damn APOs!

John
04-06-2004, 06:07 PM
Hi CJ, Hope all is well.

Amazon .com has it....

1. Handicapping for Bettor or Worse: A Fresh Perspective to Betting the Races by John Lindley (Hardcover - April 2004)
Usually ships in 24 hours
Buy new: $17.47 Used & new from $17.45

John

Tom
04-06-2004, 06:08 PM
Been off my feed last couple of days and going to sleep as soon as I get home from work.
Feeling better today, so I got another batch of shrimp and and reading it tonight.
More later.

Tom
04-10-2004, 05:47 PM
Got through some of the book this week. This guy writes like a player and he spends time in the forum on the Sheets website talking to players about horses he has ownership in. I sense someof the chapters were written at his table in the clubhouse while he was watching the races.
His chapter on speed figures started off to sound like the typical here are the types of figures out there blah blah blah, but then he gets into some interesting insights into using figures. Craig, he looks for "wrong" Beyers like we have discussed before, and he puts the form cycle ideas of the sheets into perspective. He makes his own speed and pace figures and used the pace figs to explain so called bounces or reactions.
He talks about some tracks having thier Beyers just plain off from reality and uses his own speed figures to support his premice. I see this type of thing at times-a horse runs in the low 70's consistently at Track A and then ships to Track B and starts running in the low 80's. I have validated this using HTR and Cramer figures as opposes to Beyers before. Aslo, sometimes a big change in a Beyer will happen a few weeks later on.
A reason that a horse might run bettor or worse numbers though is still it's acclimation to the surface and you have to consider this when a horse returns his favorite track.
All in all, a good read-more like listening to a sotry than reading a book.
I will read more tonight and continue tomorrow while the tracks are closed.

cj
04-10-2004, 06:12 PM
Hopefully, mine will arrive next week, Friday and Monday are holidays here, so no mail. Hoping for Tuesday!

cj
04-23-2004, 07:31 AM
The book finally arrived this morning. I've read the first section, and I find it to be a good read. Very interesting analysis and unbiased evaluation of Beyers and Sheets/Thorograph speed figures to start. Hopefully the rest continues as good...I'll report back soon.

John
04-23-2004, 02:28 PM
Cj , please do report back....God Bless.

cj
04-27-2004, 03:41 PM
I finished this book yesterday. I think I have to re-scan it just to be fair. My initial thoughts were that it started out strong, but kind of faded in the stretch to run well beaten 3d. Not awful by any means, but I was impressed with the first section and let down in the others. Went from sophisticated to easy instead of the other way around. Maybe I'm just spoiled having read about every racing book that exists. Initial grade = B-

I will check back in with specifics later in the week.

John
04-27-2004, 04:58 PM
thanks CJ,

I will keep my money in my pocket " for better or for worse."

John

GameTheory
05-23-2004, 06:12 AM
What's the final word on this book? Am I going to get any good ideas out of it? Anything new or thought-provoking?

cj
05-23-2004, 06:31 AM
GT,

Personally, I would not really recommend it unless you are a beginner, which I know you are not.

Tom
05-23-2004, 10:22 AM
Was more of a good read on a rainy afternoon than a learning experience. Well wroth the read, but not if you are looking for the holy grail.

thelyingthief
05-24-2004, 07:57 PM
i recently read the book, and liked it well enough. however, i echo the other reservations expressed above, with this caveat: a number of his observations are specifically aimed at digesting the form and conditioning cycles of the thoroughbred; and as an owner/claimer of racing animals with the purpose of betting on them, he does have insights perhaps not understood by the general run of handicapper. myself, i'm beyond the slavish numbers approach to handicapping, finding more and more that it's about understanding the race, and less and less about the abilities of its participants. this book helps with that.