PDA

View Full Version : Making maidens stand in gate for SIX MINUTES at Ellis

Milkshaker
08-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Opener at Ellis on 8/10--the #14 gets loose at the load and tours the track.

The entire 6:18 (according to the Ellis load clock) that this 35-1 maiden is being chased down, equipment adjusted, etc...with the resistant hoss rearing the entire time, the rest of the field is made to stand in the gate with jockeys aboard.

The #14 runs dead last. You didn't get a fair shake in this race if you bet on or against #14 considering the disruption.

Senseless not to just scratch the horse and remove him from the course as soon as he is collared.

Quesmark
08-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Once the field's loaded in the gate for a race they should be sent away ASAP,in Australia if a horse is scratched he/she's removed from the course quickly,and the other runners get racing;here in the U.S. there's usually a lengthy delay and the gate #'s need to be repositioned.
Another + is tracks which double load the horses,once it's post time getting the race going is preferable to the slower single loading process some places use.

duncan04
08-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Once the field's loaded in the gate for a race they should be sent away ASAP,in Australia if a horse is scratched he/she's removed from the course quickly,and the other runners get racing;here in the U.S. there's usually a lengthy delay and the gate #'s need to be repositioned.
Another + is tracks which double load the horses,once it's post time getting the race going is preferable to the slower single loading process some places use.

NYRA did that yesterday with a race. Horse got scratched at gate and they were sent off without a delay.

PhantomOnTour
08-10-2012, 05:16 PM
I disagree with scratching a difficult loader and then running the race without him immediately. He may have been part of the pace which will now give another runner a clear lead...all this with no time for the bettor to change or cancel his wager?
No way

Scratch him if he runs off like he did at ElP, but please don't just spring the latch and send the others on their way without giving me time to change or cancel my bet.

Besides, not all difficult gate horses run badly....many have held up a race for minutes and then won it.
Never forget Sam Lord's Castle delaying the Lafayette at Kee for a long time and then winning the race.