PDA

View Full Version : Why do juries have 12 members?

DJofSD
01-16-2004, 12:35 AM
A trivia question for the board.

Take a guess. The first correct answer will win you the respect and admiration of your fellow PA members.

DJofSD

Steve 'StatMan'
01-16-2004, 06:27 AM
My guess is after the 12 Apostles, having to do with discussion and discernment. Or perhaps it has its origins in ancient Greek government.

Larry Hamilton
01-16-2004, 09:19 AM
Its quite simple, really.

During the middle ages, around the time of Henry II, each small village had a wall just outside for morning urination. Each man visited the wall with a member and became a pee-er. It was proven statistically that one in twelve men with members of the pee-ers was hung. Therefore, it became very popular for defense lawyers to get at least twelve with members of the pee-ers, knowing that increased their probablility of a hung jury..

Steve 'StatMan'
01-16-2004, 10:19 AM
Ah ha! And that's how the name European came from, originally "you are peein'".

SandyE
01-16-2004, 11:48 AM
You guys are too funny for words.
But to be serious for a sec or more A judical system is based on English law, and basicly (and yes I'm using a law dictionairy to get some of the ideas from) "a body of citizens sworn to deliver a true verdict upon evidence submitted to them in a judical proceeding. They are respectively called juryman or jurors," you can have as few as 6 to 12 depending on the court system. Or it's what are founding fathers decided on? :D
To be judged by one peers, Something like that. :cool:

Dave Schwartz
01-16-2004, 12:21 PM
I like Larry's reasoning.

Perhaps truth is not always better than fiction? <G>

Dave Schwartz

BIG RED
01-16-2004, 02:16 PM
I'll be thinking of that one every time i'm in the head with my fellow jurors:D Good one Larry!

Tom
01-16-2004, 06:48 PM
A jury of your pee-ers????

:eek:

DJofSD
01-16-2004, 07:20 PM
I have not confirmed this but I've been told by two different lawyers the number reflects the twelve tribes of Judea.

DJofSD

wes
01-17-2004, 03:03 PM
twelve tribes of Judea.

What happened to the 13th tribe? It was made up from the other 12? There had to be someone to do the dirty work.

wes