PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy football

Valuist
08-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Who are you bullish on, and who are you bearish on? Here's a few thoughts:

The days of waiting for the later rounds to take a QB may be gone. Even in a RB dominated league (like one I'm in), the big 3 (Rodgers, Brees and Brady) just have separated themselves too much from the rest of the pack. As good a year as Eli Manning had, he still was around 100 pts behind Rodgers in many leagues.

Gronkowski and Graham were huge difference makers at TE. While many teams had to settle for 3 catches for 35 yards from their TE, those two were putting up numbers more reflective of a top quality WR.

As for WRs, I'm devaluing them a bit. Just too many capable of putting up big numbers. IMO, in a 12-14 team league, there's only one (Calvin Johnson) worthy of a 1st round pick.

Several RBs return from injuries......Charles has had three more months of rehab than Adrian Peterson and I expect him to outperform Peterson. Chris Johnson disappointed last year but that was off a holdout. With a full training camp, I'm expecting a big year out of him. A couple of big name rookie QBs in Luck and RGIII. Will either approach Cam Newton's numbers? As for Newton, I am expecting a regression. With the addition of Tolbert, no way Newton gets 14 rushing TDs this year.

My top 5: 1) Foster 2) Rice 3) Rodgers 4) McCoy 5) Brees

Bettowin
08-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Our league tends to let the Qb's go until the last of the first round and early 2nd round. If I am the person with the last pick in the first round and 1st pick in the 2nd I am taking Rogers and Brees or any combo of the big 3 you mentioned. Should provide for some real good trade bait after the draft is complete.

PS - I had the 2nd pick last year and took Johnson over Foster which screwed up my whole year.

Valuist
08-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Our league tends to let the Qb's go until the last of the first round and early 2nd round. If I am the person with the last pick in the first round and 1st pick in the 2nd I am taking Rogers and Brees or any combo of the big 3 you mentioned. Should provide for some real good trade bait after the draft is complete.

PS - I had the 2nd pick last year and took Johnson over Foster which screwed up my whole year.

Johnson screwed a lot of people up last year. He held out and was apparently out of shape because he was terrible until about the midway point last year. He's got a full training camp this year and I think he could be a top 5 RB.

Ryan Matthews could also move forward this season. No Tolbert to share carries; its all him as long as he doesn't get hurt.

I'm curious to see where both Gronkowski and Graham go this year. They could go anywhere from 12th to 30th.

JBmadera
08-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Johnson screwed a lot of people up last year. He held out and was apparently out of shape because he was terrible until about the midway point last year. He's got a full training camp this year and I think he could be a top 5 RB.

Ryan Matthews could also move forward this season. No Tolbert to share carries; its all him as long as he doesn't get hurt.

I'm curious to see where both Gronkowski and Graham go this year. They could go anywhere from 12th to 30th.

Had Matthews last yr, never again. was listening to fantasy radio yesterday and one of the reporters was saying that he thought he was hobbling around at practice. Loved him in college but with RB's once they get nicked it can stay with them for the rest of their career.

looking forward to another great season!

Valuist
08-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Here's a question for those that like math riddles.

I'm in two leagues. One by myself and another in which I co-manage with a friend. The one with the friend has always been a 12 team league. We've been in since 2004 and have never drafted higher than 7th. What are the odds of never drafting higher than 7th for 9 seasons? The league is split with 8 in NYC and 4 in Chicago. Smells like collusion to me. I can relate to Ruxin in The League. Collusion!

JBmadera
08-10-2012, 07:24 AM
Had Matthews last yr, never again. was listening to fantasy radio yesterday and one of the reporters was saying that he thought he was hobbling around at practice. Loved him in college but with RB's once they get nicked it can stay with them for the rest of their career.

looking forward to another great season!

He's out 4-6 weeks. Guys that have already had their drafts are screwed, I've seen him going in the first round...yikes!!!.

Valuist
08-10-2012, 08:07 AM
I saw him top 10-12 in a number of rankings. If Adrian Peterson isn't any higher than 30 or so due to his injury status, hard to put Matthews above him.

Uncle Salty
08-11-2012, 06:05 AM
What kind of scoring system makes a league more RB dominated than QB? Is it 2 pts difference between passing/rushing? 4 pts?

I got 4th pick in our draft this year...kind of a newcomer to the whole thing but I can't see A Rogers not getting snatched up before any RBs, based on projections.

JBmadera
08-11-2012, 07:24 AM
What kind of scoring system makes a league more RB dominated than QB? Is it 2 pts difference between passing/rushing? 4 pts?

I got 4th pick in our draft this year...kind of a newcomer to the whole thing but I can't see A Rogers not getting snatched up before any RBs, based on projections.

It's a combo of scoring system/league rules, player projections and draft position/player availability.

I like this site very much:

http://www.fantasysharks.com/index.php

Valuist
08-11-2012, 10:55 AM

Yes, in some leagues rushing and receiving (and defensive) TDs are worth more than passing TDs.

Rodgers should be top 5 in ANY draft but there will be plenty of leagues where Foster-Rice-McCoy go 1-2-3.

Valuist
09-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Surprise pick of the draft? Sproles going in the top 10. Seemed shocking at first, but the league is a PPR, and there's bonuses for yards/carry. Seeing that he had 86 catches and over 6 yards/rush avg last year, its not that big of a stretch.