PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Swimming Bias

linrom1
08-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Most racing handicappers are well aware of track bias and even TV commentators often point out how a past horse's race was comprised by track bias. But in swimming, medalists get credit for winning even though the wins are due to lane bias.

Almost all gold medals come from lanes 4-6, that's as if in horse racing top-rated horses would always race on the fast portion of the track while those deemed less talented would be always delegated to run on the deep and slow portion of the track.

If top Olympic swimmers like Phelps or Franklin were stuck in swimming lane 8, I wonder how many medals they would win---Zero.

In a nutshell, swimming results are mostly per-ordained.

horses4courses
08-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Most racing handicappers are well aware of track bias and even TV commentators often point out how a past horse's race was comprised by track bias. But in swimming, medalists get credit for winning even though the wins are due to lane bias.

Almost all gold medals come from lanes 4-6, that's as if in horse racing top-rated horses would always race on the fast portion of the track while those deemed less talented would be always delegated to run on the deep and slow portion of the track.

If top Olympic swimmers like Phelps or Franklin were stuck in swimming lane 8, I wonder how many medals they would win---Zero.

In a nutshell, swimming results are mostly per-ordained.

If I'm not mistaken, swimmers earn these premium lanes through previous qualification.
Ask a swimmer in lanes 1 or 8 if they would rather sit out the final?

Next thread please....... :rolleyes:

lsbets
08-06-2012, 11:22 AM
The pool is not faster in the middle lanes, the swimmers are:

During the final heat of Olympic swimming competition, the fastest qualifier is placed in lane four, while the slower qualifiers alternate on either side of the top qualifier. For example, the No. 2 qualifier is placed in lane five, while the No. 3-qualifier is placed in lane three. The No. 4 qualifier then goes in lane six, and the remaining swimmers alternate sides of the pool until the No. 8 qualifier is placed in lane eight.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/summer-olympics-lanes-assigned-swimming-200300194--oly.html

It would make sense that if the fastest qualifiers go in the middle lanes, most of the medals are won in the middle lanes.

Tom
08-06-2012, 12:48 PM
So will TLG be covering swimming on Tips and Traps this week?

HuggingTheRail
08-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Maybe they should make them carry extra weight to even out the field?

wisconsin
08-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Correct, in that they are earned. The middle lanes also afford the swimmer the view of his competion. Huge advantage you don't get from an outside lane.

Greyfox
08-06-2012, 01:22 PM
As I understand it, the middle lanes are earned from previous time performances.
Having said that, I've heard for years that the middle lanes do have a slight edge due to pool wave hydrodynamics.
As the Olympics is about world records, the fastest are assigned the middle lanes. Perhaps it would be fairer if the lanes were assigned randomly.

I've never been a competitive swimmer.
Perhaps someone on this board who has could throw more light on this subject for us.

elysiantraveller
08-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Faster swimmers earn the middle lanes. They have less chop but in reality don't make that much difference.

Native Texan III
08-06-2012, 06:50 PM
As I understand it, the middle lanes are earned from previous time performances.
Having said that, I've heard for years that the middle lanes do have a slight edge due to pool wave hydrodynamics.
As the Olympics is about world records, the fastest are assigned the middle lanes. Perhaps it would be fairer if the lanes were assigned randomly.

I've never been a competitive swimmer.
Perhaps someone on this board who has could throw more light on this subject for us.

The London Olympics pool is a purpose designed "fast" pool.

"Fast" pools have profiles that minimize turbulence. If the pool is uniformly 8 or more feet deep, wave reflection off the bottom is minimized. (Any pool that has a "deep end" and "shallow end" will not be as fast.) Wave spill-over gutter systems at edges absorb the majority of surface wave energy, rather than reflecting waves back onto swimmers. An empty lane on each side (so nobody has to swim next to a wall) also helps.

In the crawl, say, you will only see close competitors to the side that you turn head to intake breath.

bigmack
08-06-2012, 07:39 PM
I lived my entire life thinking Mark Spitz was like some super hero athlete. Now Phelps has what, 19 medals? Know why? There are 32 events in swimming.

Ever get the feeling that's about 18 too many?

elysiantraveller
08-06-2012, 07:42 PM
I lived my entire life thinking Mark Spitz was like some super hero athlete. Now Phelps has what, 19 medals? Know why? There are 32 events in swimming.

Ever get the feeling that's about 18 too many?

No. There were that many when Spitz was swimming too...

16 Events for men and women...

Michael Phelps = Beast Mode

bigmack
08-06-2012, 07:48 PM
No. There were that many when Spitz was swimming too...
I know. My point is that's WAY too many.

ArlJim78
08-06-2012, 07:52 PM
way too many events in swimming, that is way they are the ones setting the records for medal count.
50, 100, 200,400 1500
individual or relay,
medly or single stroke
free, breast, back.
Phelps is the greatest swimmer ever but I don't consider him the greatest Olympian. there is far more competition worldwide for the track events and therefore I put them at a higher level.

linrom1
08-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Mark Spitz was attempting to qualify for Beijing Olympics at an age of 50? or so. He swam faster than he did in 1972. How is this possible?

There are other biases in swimming than we know.

Greyfox
08-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Mark Spitz was attempting to qualify for Beijing Olympics at an age of 50? or so. He swam faster than he did in 1972. How is this possible?

There are other biases in swimming than we know.

The swim suit itself makes a difference.

NJ Stinks
08-06-2012, 08:26 PM
I know. My point is that's WAY too many.

Totally agree. :ThmbUp:

elysiantraveller
08-06-2012, 08:33 PM
way too many events in swimming, that is way they are the ones setting the records for medal count.
50, 100, 200,400 1500
individual or relay,
medly or single stroke
free, breast, back.
Phelps is the greatest swimmer ever but I don't consider him the greatest Olympian. there is far more competition worldwide for the track events and therefore I put them at a higher level.

They are different events that require completely different skill sets; the average person isn't even capable of swimming butterfly for instance. I know I won't change your opinion of it but these guys eat 12,000 calories a day to MAINTAIN weight...

As far as competitive access if you want to make that argument you open whole can of worms.

As far as Phelps IMO he is the greatest olympian ever and a top 5 or 10 greatest athlete of all time. I respect your and Macks opinion though and in the end it doesn't matter... 50 years from now when NO ONE has come close to what he has accomplished that attitude will change.

cj's dad
08-06-2012, 09:17 PM
I can't believe this thread is still alive.

It was explained quite succinctly how the lanes are assigned. The OP who did not understand that, nor did I, continues to post about lane bias.

Give it up, your theory has no traction; let it go.