PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga Sunday Selections Live!

Teach
08-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Hi Everyone,

It's a steamy Sunday afternoon at "The Spa," but there are a line of showers just to the west. That could change everything. I'm doing this live on a race-by-race basis. If you want to chime in, please feel free. I'll be back with my Race One analysis at approx. 12:50. As always, good luck!

Teach

Teach
08-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Race One:

I'm going to try for a moderate upset. I like :5: Vapour Musing. She broke her maiden at Colonial about a month-and-a-half ago, She should be well rested; that's a factor. I'm also a fan of Ramon Dominguez, especially, for some strange reason - on Sundays. I can't quantify that, just one of my "jockeys for racing days" hunches. Graham Motion is an excellent trainer. This filly has a solid European turf pedigree. I think she'll relish the added distance. Underneath: :9: Trophy Wife. As Steve Crist mentioned in "Talking Horses," this Storm Cat-bred filly is "bred to run five and half miles." Solid turf pedigree. I also like :1: Centrina. THis horse is a threat off her mile and a quarter win in her last race at Belmont on July 8th. Cornelio Velasquez for Dom Galluscio. Finally, :10: Hunter Forward. This Sadler's Wells-bred mare won her last. She had been racing overseas in route race. She did reasonably well. She fits in this company.

Teach
08-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Race Two:

My choice is :9: Input. The Unbridled-bred colt has a solid turf pedigree. Junior Alvarado has been riding very well. The Hall-of-Famer, Bill Mott, trains. The colt was second in his last after getting off a beat slow. He may appreciate the added distance. Should benefit from outside starting post. Solid recent works. Underneath: :4: Hogue is my mild upset try. The horse should relish the distance. He is making his first start in many a moon. I'm also a big fan of Julien Laparoux, especially on the green. The horse was "full of run" at this distance in his last on the main track. :2: Conspiracy did little in his only start, a turf race; yet there is room for improvement. He does have a solid turf pedigree. Maybe with a race under his belt... A solid rider-trainer combo: Rrramon Dominguez and Chad Brown. Finally, :1: Lelaps is shipping in from the UK where he acquitted himself quite well. He might just be "a sleeper" here. The veteran, Edgar Prado, is in the irons for Graham Motion.

Teach
08-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Race Three:

What a difference an hour makes! Well, all my turf handicapping goes out the window. Why didn't I play today's Pick-4? I guess "Ignorance of the Law Is No Excuse,"or, should I say, in this case - the rules of the New York State Racing Commission. Yes, Tom Durkin, I'm confused. Anyway, enough grousing. I like :2: Rockin Boogie. He has Ramon Dominguez in the irons. Bruce Levine as a trainer. And, a second in his only race on a muddy track. There won't be much value, but... :5: Loud Pipes did nothing in his two turf tries. He may just benefit from the race being taken off the turf and run on the main track. Javier Castellano for Mike Maker. :4: Frothy Market would have had little or no chance in my turf handicapping, but now, with the race on the main track - this horse may just have a chance.

Teach
08-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Race Four:

As William Bendix used to say: "What A Revolting Development...!" That was hard to swallow. Ouch! Well, let's recoup. I like :6: Resonating. The filly demolished the field in a maiden-breaking win. Should prevail. Joel Rosario for James Jerkens.Underneath: :7: Willet looks like the main threat. She's won three in a row. This A.P. Indy-bred filly has three wins and a second in four lifetime starts. Ramon Dominguez for Jim Iselin. :9: Age of Aquarius did not handle the turf in his only try on the lawn at Arlington Park. Now, back on a dirt surface, this Storm Cat-bred filly may surprise. David Cohen for Wayne Catalano. :8: Finders Key won her last by a head; she now cuts back a half-furlong. Has some "off-track" pedigree. Might surprise. Rajiv Maragh for Tom Albertrani.

LAP_520
08-05-2012, 02:47 PM
Think it is time to throw in the towel and not bet ...

this track is a big sloppy mess. I have an uneasy feeling a horse is going to go down and cause major damage.

Teach
08-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Race Five:

It looks like three horses: :8: Junoon. She looks prohibitive. Has been off a couple months. Yet, I personally don't see her as a lead-pipe cinch. :10: Always Home. The Phil Serpe-trainee didn't do much in her only try in the mud. Yet, it appeared she was trapped down on the inside. :1: Corinthian's Lark did finish fourth in the mud at six and one-half furlongs. Although she looks like she can hit the board; there may be some question of getting the distance.

Teach
08-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Race Six:

I believe it comes downs to three horses: :9: Tap Twenty One looks like she holds the edge. Didn't do much in her only start, but she was steadied at the start and made up a ton of ground in the stretch. She stretches out a bit here, that should help. Rosie Napravnik for Rusty Arnold. The two others I like are
:3: Double Tapped and :6: Pink Traffic.

Teach
08-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Race Seven:

My top pick is: :10: Going Green. Should handle the "off" going; might pay a price. Joel Roario for Gary Gullo. Underneath: I like a logical pick, :1: I Dreamt I Was. Another horse to consider is the MTO, :15: Mischief Maker. While I'm at, I throw in another MTO, :16: Purely Majestic.

Teach
08-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Race Eight:

:5: Ascended Fever gets my nod. Was second on a muddy track. Adds blinkers. Second in both her pari-mutuel races. Underneath: :7: Uncaged Heart. The filly is a first-time starter with a degree of wet-track pedigree. :9: Uncle Southern is another filly who looks like she can handle the "off" going. Finally, :3: Read The Personals might just get part.

Teach
08-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Race Eight:

:8: Cajun Breeze treks up from Florida and brings along his rider, Juan Leyva. This colt has been running in stakes competition. She has a second on a wet track. Class-wise, she looks like a factor. Appears to benefit from an outside post. Underneath: :6: Professor Fate has finished first and third on wet surfaces. He's cutting back a furlong; that should help. :4: Ascauga (Why am I thinking of John Ascauga's "Nugget" in Reno, NV?). Anyway, this gelding broke his maiden in impressive fashion at Parx. Edgar Prado in the irons for Graham Motion. :3: Thermal Cat is capable of completing a gimmick. Joel Rosario for Wayne Catalano.

Teach
08-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Race Ten:

In the Grade 1 Alfred G. Vanderbilt, I'm going out on the limb with a longshot try, :7: Jersey Town. I like the way the horse has been working up to this race; he's put in some solid efforts in his morning works. Edgar Prado is most capable. The horse handles the off-going very well. :1: Shackleford is the logical. I'm just not sure it's his best distance. No question: he's the class. But I don't think the rail is the place to be. John Velazquez is going to have to angle his colt out. Believe me, on class alone, this horse is very much a factor. Also, :2: Emcee is a classy sort. He was fourth in the Carter and third in the Tom Fool. Finally, :4: Rothko comes in from Praire Meadows where he finished second in the Iowa Sprint Handicap. He has a first and a second on a wet surface.

Teach
08-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Race Eleven:

Last Chance Saloon. I'm looking seriously at :13: Zow. The more I look, the better I feel about this horse's chances. You can throw out this horse's last. The colt stumbled and threw his rider up at Finger Lakes. A chance to make amends with Johnny V. Underneath: I'm looking at three "outside" horses: :11: American Legend; :9: Slinger, and for good measure, :12: Warrior From Above.