PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome -Web Security

BombsAway Bob
08-04-2012, 11:25 PM
Been using Chrome & happy, but last few days i've
not been getting the "Lock" symbol on web addresses.
Twitter & Facebook pop up w/lock symbol, but You tube
& racing sites, (incl. here) show white envelope saying
site not verified, & i've never visited. Anyone else have
similar issues, & any ideas to solve? Did usual douching of
files, cookies, etc. even my Adobe Flash which had an
update around time problems started.
Thanks in advance, i'm Sgt.Shultz when it comes to this stuff.

https://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95617&topic=14666&ctx=topic

Dave Schwartz
08-04-2012, 11:52 PM
Just guessing here, but I'd consider that it isn't Chrome but perhaps an upgrade to your anti-virus software.

BombsAway Bob
08-05-2012, 12:01 AM
Just guessing here, but I'd consider that it isn't Chrome but perhaps an upgrade to your anti-virus software.

that's why i included that Chrome link, to show what the white envelope i'm getting looks like.
it's a Chrome security feature.
Cursory scan of computer found no virus/malware.

headhawg
08-05-2012, 12:03 AM
Does the white "envelope" icon look like the first one shown in the link that you posted? If yes, everything is ok. It just means that the connection between you and the website is not using SSL/TLS encryption when you enter information. Only secure websites (or portions of them anyway) use encryption. And yes, that means that info that you are sending is sent in clear text. As long as it's not credit card or other PII (personally identifiable information) you should be just fine. If you're not getting the lock on websites that should be secure (PayPal, your bank, etc.) then it's a problem.

PaceAdvantage
08-05-2012, 12:12 AM
I'm getting that too. They recently pushed a new version of Chrome out, and it has been like this (white envelope) ever since the update. Chrome automatically updates itself, at least it does for me, and I don't think there is anyway to control that.

Chrome must have changed the way it identifies sites in the browser.

tupper
08-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Did usual douching of files, cookies, etc. even my Adobe Flash which had an update around time problems started.This "douching" could certainly be involved in your "never visited" messages -- you might have deleted your browsing history, along with the other stuff.

Also, if you formerly accessed the pages in some roundabout manner (such as typing the URL and relying on auto complete to fill-in the rest of the URL), your "douching" might have removed the stored autocomplete URLs. So, you are now typing the root/home URL which is taking you to the sites' unencrypted home pages (no "lock"), instead of going directly to the sites' encrypted login pages.

i'm Sgt.Shultz when it comes to this stuff.I like to think of myself as more of a "Carter."

BombsAway Bob
08-05-2012, 11:59 PM
This "douching" could certainly be involved in your "never visited" messages -- you might have deleted your browsing history, along with the other stuff.

Also, if you formerly accessed the pages in some roundabout manner (such as typing the URL and relying on auto complete to fill-in the rest of the URL), your "douching" might have removed the stored autocomplete URLs. So, you are now typing the root/home URL which is taking you to the sites' unencrypted home pages (no "lock"), instead of going directly to the sites' encrypted login pages.

I like to think of myself as more of a "Carter."
Actually, when i log on to Google with shortcut icon on bottom of notebook,
the Google Homepage comes with the white envelope.
i clean out files all the time since i run video from tracks, you-tube, etc.
& this has never happened before. Even my PPs are printing slightly
skewed to the left & print a bit nearer top of page since this began.

PaceAdvantage
08-06-2012, 12:26 AM
Like I said earlier, this is all due to a new version of Chrome that they pushed through the other day...it is what it is...

tupper
08-06-2012, 05:10 AM
Actually, when i log on to Google with shortcut icon on bottom of notebook, the Google Homepage comes with the white envelope. i clean out files all the time since i run video from tracks, you-tube, etc. & this has never happened before.Perhaps the recent Chrome update (mentioned above by PaceAdvantage) has reverted the settings to default in the "Clear Browsing Data" dialog. Check to see if "browsing history" is checked -- if so, that might explain the "never visited" messages.

Even my PPs are printing slightly skewed to the left & print a bit nearer top of page since this began.Huh? Are you opening PPs in Chrome?

Canarsie
08-06-2012, 08:12 AM
I have the same exact problem as others have described.

Another headache in the new update is watching video from 4NJbets. For a while it didn't work at all and now it will if opened as a standalone player. Switched to FF and there was no problem but at least to a color blind person like me the video through Chrome is superior. Chrome is constantly updated the odds of a fix coming soon is probably 90%-10% that it will rather quickly.

Canarsie
08-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Like I said earlier, this is all due to a new version of Chrome that they pushed through the other day...it is what it is...

Spot on had to do a little checking up on it. Here's some info from the developers.

Website security indicators

http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95617

Issue 136547: Globe Icon Missing

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=136547

address bar showing a blank paper?

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!searchin/chrome/favicon/chrome/8zMRJ5L8RoQ/pAeSWqV6oG8J

It's great to know that 4NJBets isn't secure the horsemen group is really looking out for their bread and butter. :bang:

PaceAdvantage
08-06-2012, 02:09 PM
And by the way, I'm not seeing where anything is actually "wrong" with this Chrome update that would require an immediate release of a new version.

tupper
08-06-2012, 03:10 PM
@Canarsie

Not sure if the links are entirely related to the OPs complaint.

Website security indicatorsThis page is merely a legend of the Chrome security symbols.

Issue 136547: Globe Icon MissingThis is a bug report page regarding the "globe" icon not appearing. The OP's primary complaint concerned the absence of security indicators ("lock" symbols).

Indeed, post #12 in this bug report clarifies that this bug might not be related to security indicators:
Comment 12 by robert.l...@gmail.com, Aug 4 (2 days ago)

Re: here is the ansewer in this back and forth chromium blog:ending mixed scripting

I'm not sure if this is relevant to this issue. I think you're assuming this is an issue with secure sites. Quite the opposite. Secure site's show the correct https icon (at least for me). All other sites (ones that make no claim on being secure) no longer show the standard globe as illustrated in the original post.

address bar showing a blank paper?This page explains (in the post by Jacky H) that a recent Chrome update has replaced the globe icon with a "blank page" icon, which might be the reason for the complaints in the above bug report.

However, this page and the others linked do not address the OP's security indicator issue, nor do they touch on the OP's "never visited" error messages, nor do they mention the OP's problem printing PP's (in Chrome?).

@BombsAway Bob

Some web sites have both secure and "unsecure" logins. It might be worthwhile to go to each "root" home page of the web sites in question, and see if you can navigate from that home page and into the secure login page.

bigmack
08-06-2012, 11:22 PM
As one of the early converts to Chrome, years ago, and I know I was harpin' about it here way back when, Chrome is awfully slick in its live updates that you're unaware of even taking place.

Not very often they do something integral that alters the familiar fashion of which you've known. Funny thing is, in a few days you become so used to that, you forgot what it was like prior to you not liking it. errrr...

I've learned to adapt to all their tinkering after all this time.

Have i mentioned, with the exception of them becoming WAY TOO BIG, i'm nuts about Google?

Gawd I should have bought that stock when Leo Laporte said to.

Canarsie
08-08-2012, 11:09 AM
@Canarsie

Not sure if the links are entirely related to the OPs complaint.

However, this page and the others linked do not address the OP's security indicator issue, nor do they touch on the OP's "never visited" error messages, nor do they mention the OP's problem printing PP's (in Chrome?).

@BombsAway Bob

Some web sites have both secure and "unsecure" logins. It might be worthwhile to go to each "root" home page of the web sites in question, and see if you can navigate from that home page and into the secure login page.

Just throwing stuff out there that may give others a better idea how to fix it. Something doesn't have to be entirely related to get opinions and the thought process moving along.

I would also try IE Tab in Chrome to see if the printer does the job like it's supposed to do.

http://www.ietab.net/