PDA

View Full Version : Golfer loses libel case over handicap cheating claim

DJofSD
08-03-2012, 11:04 AM
A PENSIONER and amateur golfer has lost a High Court libel action against his golf club over a notice which, he claimed, meant he had effectively cheated about his playing ability.

The rest of the article here. (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0728/1224320946917.html)

Greyfox
08-03-2012, 12:05 PM
The rest of the article here. (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0728/1224320946917.html)

The case took years to come to trial and 21 days in court.
Court costs that were incurred went into the hundreds of thousands of Euros.
From the article:
"The judge also awarded costs of the 21-day case, expected to amount to hundreds of thousands of euro , against Mr Talbot, who said afterwards he intended appealing the costs order."

I'm shaking my head.
Surely Irish courts have more important matters to deal with than tie up their system for 21 days.
It wouldn't have taken me 21 minutes to decide that the charge was frivolous and thrown it out.
(I play with 3 sand baggers who fudge on their handicaps every day.)

The Judge should be sentenced to 5 rounds of golf with me as punishment.

TJDave
08-03-2012, 07:58 PM

It sounds like they've got you right where you want them.

I've played with guys like that but usually not more than twice. ;)

Greyfox
08-03-2012, 08:12 PM
It sounds like they've got you right where you want them.

I've played with guys like that but usually not more than twice. ;)

Not quite. I've got a pencil with an eraser.

Zippy Chippy
08-08-2012, 09:59 AM
People go crazy over handicaps/sandbagging. Last friday I was on my way to a tournament. I was getting gas and a guy that i know from the course pulled in behind me at the pump and got out of his car with a paper in his hand (it was the list of players and handicaps). He was pissed pointing at the paper yelling, "You're getting 6 SHOTS!?" My handicap literally went up 3 this year and everyone thinks im sandbagging. I showed them though by shooting an 83! (maybe ill go up to a 7)

Rookies
08-08-2012, 10:36 AM

The Judge should be sentenced to 5 rounds of golf with me as punishment.

:lol:

Played Slo-pitch for 20 years- CLASSIC baggers!

EVERY Tourney had a couple of entrants that were buffing their bats... I could tell, being only 50 feet away and watching balls go rocketing a couple of feet over my head! :D

DJofSD
08-08-2012, 10:37 AM
I wonder what would happen if those sand baggers were grouped together with other sand baggers during a club match. That might prove to be interesting.