PDA

View Full Version : Shocking ride at Hoosier...

thaskalos
08-03-2012, 07:38 AM
I haven't bet Hoosier Park for 2 years, because I consider it to be the worst track in the country...but I decided to go against my better judgement, and wagered on their late pick-3 yesterday...in races 8, 9 and 10.

I used three horses in the 8th, one horse in the 9th, and three horses in the 10th...investing $108 into what turned out to be a pick-3 wagering pool of $1,223.

When one of my horses won the 8th race and paid $16.80, I got excited...because in the next race, I had singled the 3-5 "sure thing" ridden by Leandro Goncalves...and also thought I had the last race "covered" by using the three best horses in a race where they faced no apparent competition.

My excitement was short-lived, however, because in the 9th race, I witnessed a ride unlike any that I have ever seen in my 30 years in this game.

Jockey Goncalves had the 3-5 choice Man Of Miracles in perfect position behind 2 battling front runners...but then, as the horses approached the far turn, and for no apparent reason, he checked the horse so hard that it came to almost a complete halt...causing me to think that the horse had broken its leg. The horse quickly retreated into the field...and my concern for my wager was quickly replaced by concern for the horse and jockey Goncalves.

Imagine my surprise when I soon found out that the horse had not gone lame at all...but was now under a heavy whip as the horses were turning for home...with jockey Goncalves now attempting a late run from last place in a field of 9.

He finished 6th...and, of course, one of my picks in the 10th race completed the pick-3 and paid $15.40 to win.

I paid $108 for a lesson that I had already learned...and now I want to pass it on to you.

Avoid Hoosier Park at all costs...if you value your money (and your sanity).

sammy the sage
08-03-2012, 08:19 AM
Wonder if you'll get the SAME response I got...in THIS thread...

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95078

fiveouttasix
08-03-2012, 08:26 AM
Wager Type Winning Numbers Payoff
$2 Pick 3 1-7-3 (3 correct) 10,024.00

This is how they listed the payout...looks like only 1 winning 50 cent wager.

Maximillion
08-03-2012, 08:37 AM
I haven't bet Hoosier (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/hoosier/hoosier-tires.jsp) Park for 2 years, because I consider it to be the worst track in the country...but I decided to go against my better judgement, and wagered on their late pick-3 yesterday...in races 8, 9 and 10.

I used three horses in the 8th, one horse in the 9th, and three horses in the 10th...investing $108 into what turned out to be a pick-3 wagering pool of $1,223.

When one of my horses won the 8th race and paid $16.80, I got excited...because in the next race, I had singled the 3-5 "sure thing" ridden by Leandro Goncalves...and also thought I had the last race "covered" by using the three best horses in a race where they faced no apparent competition.

My excitement was short-lived, however, because in the 9th race, I witnessed a ride unlike any that I have ever seen in my 30 years in this game.

Jockey Goncalves had the 3-5 choice Man Of Miracles in perfect position behind 2 battling front runners...but then, as the horses approached the far turn, and for no apparent reason, he checked the horse so hard that it came to almost a complete halt...causing me to think that the horse had broken its leg. The horse quickly retreated into the field...and my concern for my wager was quickly replaced by concern for the horse and jockey Goncalves.

Imagine my surprise when I soon found out that the horse had not gone lame at all...but was now under a heavy whip as the horses were turning for home...with jockey Goncalves now attempting a late run from last place in a field of 9.

He finished 6th...and, of course, one of my picks in the 10th race completed the pick-3 and paid $15.40 to win.

I paid $108 for a lesson that I had already learned...and now I want to pass it on to you.

Avoid Hoosier Park at all costs...if you value your money (and your sanity).

I stopped playing the night tracks because it was simply too much action
for me,and because I also seen some things that,lets just say didnt jibe at a few of them.

Are all the night tracks like this?...of course not.....but since Im handicapping with the drf like you......im just not "buying" the pm edition any more.

the little guy
08-03-2012, 08:53 AM
I think the more incredible thing was making a $12 3x1x3 Pick-3 into a $1200 pool where there were results where the parlay was more than was in the wagering pool ( such as would have been the case had your single won ). How can this be anything other than a negative value play? Am I missing something?

TexasDolly
08-03-2012, 08:53 AM
I have seen it any number of times. More often on non favorites however. It ends up looking like a "Z" pattern in the running line up,back,up.
A more subtle way of "losing" a race recently has been a
no response or a hard check out of the gate and then when it
is clear the horse can't win ride it hard to the wire. The take up at the start on early speed horses is "tolerated"
far too often for my taste.
TD

PaceAdvantage
08-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Wonder if you'll get the SAME response I got...in THIS thread...

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95078You're bordering on spamming with this constant whining. The funny thing is, when one goes back and reads most of these threads where you claim to be "bashed," it doesn't read like that at all, unless of course the new definition of bashed = simply disagreeing with you... :rolleyes:

Robert Fischer
08-03-2012, 11:33 AM
The horse Man of Miracles had a rough stride (IMO may have clipped heels) shortly before dropping back in the field. He then failed to make a significant run. He finished about a neck to a length in front of 3 hopeless 30-1 shots at the tail end of the field.

Valuist
08-03-2012, 11:50 AM
I just watched the replay and something clearly went wrong. I was thinking its possible the rider was starting to come out of the irons. Its almost too blatant to be a stiff job.

Just went back and looked at the Equibase chart and they say the horse was getting out on the turn.

johnhannibalsmith
08-03-2012, 11:57 AM

Just went back and looked at the Equibase chart and they say the horse was getting out on the turn.

I actually went back and watched the pan and head-on a handful of times and the rider sure acted like he thought the horse was going to get out and onto heels when he was in the turn.

Some_One
08-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Horse blew the turn simple as that.

If you think things are fixed, why are you betting?

Simple Syrup
08-03-2012, 12:21 PM
I'm not going to defend the racing quality at Hoosier, but the fact it's less than ten minutes from where I grew up makes it hard for me to pass it up.

Robert Fischer
08-03-2012, 12:41 PM
when i watched the replay it didn't seem to be the turn so much (wasn't really that wide) as the chart describing it that way.

i thought he may have clipped heels , but also what Valuist said with the irons is possible. The horse itself was falling back in the field as well, may not have been solely the rider. (Thaskalos did mention he initially thought the horse may have gone wrong).

maybe it was a stiff job. It's hard to say 100% either way, but i would guess it was heels/irons/bad step type of issue.

It's easy to get frustrated in the heat of moment. I had one last week where i went from a big multi-x exacta to a much smaller exacta with a DQ. I still don't like the decision!, but in hindsight it is much more reasonable.;)

thaskalos
08-03-2012, 01:03 PM
I think the more incredible thing was making a $12 3x1x3 Pick-3 into a $1200 pool where there were results where the parlay was more than was in the wagering pool ( such as would have been the case had your single won ). How can this be anything other than a negative value play? Am I missing something?

I found out the size of the wagering pool later that evening, when I looked up the chart online...and I was stunned.

Like I said, I don't play Hoosier...and I had no idea that the pools were so small.

thaskalos
08-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Horse blew the turn simple as that.

If you think things are fixed, why are you betting?

Thanks for the advice; I promise to keep it in mind...

thaskalos
08-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Wager Type Winning Numbers Payoff
$2 Pick 3 1-7-3 (3 correct) 10,024.00

This is how they listed the payout...looks like only 1 winning 50 cent wager.

When the winning payoff is exaggerated in such a manner...isn't it a deliberate attempt to mislead the public as to the size of the wagering pool?

the little guy
08-03-2012, 03:06 PM
I found out the size of the wagering pool later that evening, when I looked up the chart online...and I was stunned.

Like I said, I don't play Hoosier...and I had no idea that the pools were so small.

Was this an aberrationally low pool for Hoosier?

thaskalos
08-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Was this an aberrationally low pool for Hoosier?

As it turns out...no.

But, with the way some tracks choose to report some of their exotics payoffs...it's impossible to determine the actual size of these pools without consulting the result charts.

cj
08-03-2012, 03:18 PM
When the winning payoff is exaggerated in such a manner...isn't it a deliberate attempt to mislead the public as to the size of the wagering pool?

Honestly, though that seems possible, I doubt it. In my mind it is just another of the countless reminders that the sport remains about 50 years behind in the technological area.

JimG
08-03-2012, 03:58 PM

I think it is deliberately done to generate handle in the future for the bet as uniformed bettors look at the payoffs and say "look what I could have hit"

Jim

schweitz
08-03-2012, 04:08 PM
Pool for this P-3 was $3194 not $1223.

.50 cent p-3 paid $2506.

rastajenk
08-03-2012, 04:22 PM
I think it is deliberately done to generate handle in the future for the bet as uniformed bettors look at the payoffs and say "look what I could have hit"I don't think so. Bettors are too fiercely independent as to have to wear a uniform.

Wagergirl
08-03-2012, 04:23 PM
:D I don't think so. Bettors are too fiercely independent as to have to wear a uniform.

JimG
08-03-2012, 04:43 PM
I don't think so. Bettors are too fiercely independent as to have to wear a uniform.

But some are capable of making uninformed replies on a message board.

Jim

melman
08-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Nice avatar JimG. We have good taste. :)

JimG
08-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Nice avatar JimG. We have good taste. :)

Thanks Mel. That iconic poster was on my wall as a teenager. Don't think I was the only one. :)

Jim

PaceAdvantage
08-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Nice avatar JimG. We have good taste. :)What avatar?

Tom
08-04-2012, 11:21 PM
The invisible man?

melman
08-05-2012, 07:07 AM
What avatar? Maybe Jim decided to edit his own avatar. That's his call. I can assure you it was there and a very well known picture.

JimG
08-05-2012, 07:42 AM
Sorry for the confusion. I reinstated the avatar for now.

Jim

Karakiozis
08-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the advice; I promise to keep it in mind...

Alo mounopano autos.