PDA

View Full Version : Distances vs. Surfaces?

Race Promoter
07-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Is it more exciting to see horses compete for a triple crown over three different distances ( The U.S. Triple Crown ) vs. what they do in Canada where their Triple Crown is raced over three different surfaces and distances...?

Queen's Plate - Woodbine Polytrack 10 furlongs
Prince of Wales - Ft. Erie Traditional Dirt 9.5 furlongs
Breeders Stakes - Woodbine Grass 12 furlongs To be raced this Sunday 8.5.12 at Woodbine

I like the challenge of an all surface type of horse. Especially these days with Poly. JMO

cj
07-30-2012, 05:58 PM
Is it more exciting to see horses compete for a triple crown over three different distances ( The U.S. Triple Crown ) vs. what they do in Canada where their Triple Crown is raced over three different surfaces and distances...?

Queen's Plate - Woodbine Polytrack 10 furlongs
Prince of Wales - Ft. Erie Traditional Dirt 9.5 furlongs
Breeders Stakes - Woodbine Grass 12 furlongs To be raced this Sunday 8.5.12 at Woodbine

I like the challenge of an all surface type of horse. Especially these days with Poly. JMO

This may be the last year for that challenge as the Prince of Wales S. is probably moving to Woodbine.

Race Promoter
07-30-2012, 06:14 PM
Maybe they can run the second leg on the harness track?

Tom
07-31-2012, 07:44 AM
And pull a sulky!

Race Promoter
08-01-2012, 07:14 PM
How about a 3 race, 3 distance, 3 surface series run over 18 weeks vs. 7 weeks. I think this would produce some excitement and would take a great all around horse to win.

Tom
08-01-2012, 10:11 PM
18 weeks is longer than a lot of 3yos last there days!

Some_One
08-02-2012, 12:19 AM
This may be the last year for that challenge as the Prince of Wales S. is probably moving to Woodbine.
Well we don't know yet Woodbine will be around next year either (although I think something will happen somehow).

classhandicapper
08-02-2012, 11:13 AM
I've always considered versatility to be a "plus" on a horse's resume. I think more high level US dirt horses should take a shot on turf and synthetic once in awhile late in their career when the purse warrants the risk. Secretariat and Dr. Fager both ran on turf.