PDA

View Full Version : Is This Billboard In Bad Taste ?

cj's dad
07-30-2012, 12:41 PM
The billboards reads the following:

One side features a picture of shooter James Holmes, with the the caption "Kills 12 in a movie theater with assault rifle, everyone freaks out." The other side shows a picture of Obama, along with the text "Kills thousands with foreign policy, wins Nobel Peace Prize."

Billboard.jpg (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9474&stc=1)

PhantomOnTour
07-30-2012, 12:51 PM
My option would be...
yes, it's in bad taste, but we are a country of free speech, so too bad if you don't like it :D

Tom
07-30-2012, 01:13 PM
Yes, bad taste.
TRUE, but bad taste.

Unlike the stinking democrats, though, as with all things in bad taste, it is my problem if I don't like it. I won't tryot o prevent anyone from opening a business nearby, I won't try to have anyone banned from the airwaves, I won't try to punish anyone for their beliefs.

Because any democrat is in far more bad taste that that ad is.
The right side tends to be adults.

DJofSD
07-30-2012, 01:22 PM
I normally don't vote in these polls, especially those in OT.

But, I did and I voted no, this is free speech.

I selected that option because it is exactly this kind of speech which the Constitution is meant to protect. Free speech is more than just being able to say what you want, when you want and to use whatever language you choose.

But even that kind of wide open license to say whatever, etc., is limited. The classic example is yelling "fire!" in a crowd theater.

Even though it is a misattribution to Voltaire, the phrase "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" is an important ideal to protect.

Marshall Bennett
07-30-2012, 03:00 PM
I find it less than very inappropriate so I voted no opinion. As much as I disapprove of the job Obama's doing, I also don't feel it's appropriate to be disrespectful of a sitting president in this manner either. I don't believe free speech should be the issue. There are other venues.

Tom
07-30-2012, 03:16 PM
I didn't like it, but not because of Obama - but because you don't use a mass murder for anything.

Obama is a big boy - if ha can't handle the insult, he should stop earning them.

A sitting president is nothing more than one of our employees - he is due no special respect. This one is due no respect.
FUBO

NJ Stinks
07-30-2012, 03:41 PM
Of course, it's very inappropriate. So that's the way I voted.

Please note - all you "stinking" Republicans - that I didn't say it was or should be illegal.

fast4522
07-30-2012, 04:04 PM
It is what it is, free speech sometimes cuts both ways and not good for America because of lack of sensitivity in this case to James Holmes victims and family members. As far as Barack Hussein Obama is concerned I would have preferred a poster in line with his policy and the handling of "fast and furious". I do not feel the picture as captioned hits the nail on the head, if your going to do something like that at least do it right to be sensitive for the loved ones of the lost lives.

Wagergirl
07-30-2012, 04:21 PM
The question was "Is this in bad taste?" That is obvious in my mind. YES.

To bring up free speech seems like someone just trolling for an argument. This is a country of free speech, you are free to say what ever you want. Including be a complete a$$. Doesn't change the fact it's bad taste.

Saratoga_Mike
07-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Disgusting - just like those who compared GWB to a Nazi - both groups are disgraceful.

elysiantraveller
07-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Politicizing mass murder is always bad taste.

Shit like that; and that's what it is, shit, can not help a cause only hurt it.

Saratoga_Mike
07-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Also, this has nothing to do with free speech. I wouldn't support banning the billboard, but I certainly find it offensive.

bigmack
07-30-2012, 04:53 PM
What's the difference between a billboard and a sign?

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/9222.jpg

Saratoga_Mike
07-30-2012, 05:03 PM
All those signs are disgusting, too.

DJofSD
07-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Well, if the billboard is in poor taste, and, the protestor's signs are in poor taste, what about the lyrics of most rap music?

Valuist
07-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Well, if the billboard is in poor taste, and, the protestor's signs are in poor taste, what about the lyrics of most rap music?

That's a given.

I certainly lean toward the right but I did think the billboard was in bad taste. If one wants to point out Obama's flaws, there's better ways than that billboard.

mostpost
07-30-2012, 06:13 PM
It's not only inappropriate, it's stupid and it is dishonest. The people who put up that billboard, whoever they are, care nothing about the thousands of people who died. The foreign policy that Obama is pursuing in Iraq and Afghanistan is very similar to the one followed by George Bush. The big difference being that Obama is tying to end hostilities.

Then there is the incredible hypocrisy. If Obama had ceased military operations he would have been accused of being a Muslim or Muslim sympathizer. If he had closed Guantanamo he would would have been accused of being soft on terrorists. If Obama had stopped drone attacks he would have been accused of not protecting us.

Of course military operations are still going on, Guantanamo is still open and drone attacks have accelerated. Result? Even though Obama has done everything the crazy right wanted him to do, they still call him a Muslim or Muslin sympathizer who is soft on terror and unable to protect the American people. What a joke they are.

fast4522
07-30-2012, 06:23 PM
quite right, do you wipe him after he's done too?

DJofSD
07-30-2012, 06:24 PM
You left out the kitchen sink.

fast4522
07-30-2012, 07:27 PM
You want the kitchen sink?

cj's dad
07-30-2012, 08:32 PM

To bring up free speech seems like someone just trolling for an argument. This is a country of free speech, you are free to say what ever you want. Including be a complete a$$. Doesn't change the fact it's bad taste.

Hey- you know what ? I am tired of the insults and name calling here. I don't know you and you certainly don't know me. I posted a question based on a billboard put up in Idaho and was curious as to what folks here at PA thought about it. That makes me a troll. Are you f-ing kidding me?

Get a life girlie and get back to me when you have one.

Til then have a nice life.

Greyfox
07-30-2012, 08:53 PM
Hey- you know what ? I am tired of the insults and name calling here. I don't know you and you certainly don't know me. I posted a question based on a billboard put up in Idaho and was curious as to what folks here at PA thought about it. That makes me a troll. Are you f-ing kidding me?

Get a life girlie and get back to me when you have one.

Til then have a nice life.

cj's Dad, I don't think that Wagergirl was referring to you.
At least, I didn't take her comments that way.

cj's dad
07-30-2012, 08:57 PM
cj's Dad, I don't think that Wagergirl was referring to you.
At least, I didn't take her comments that way.

Maybe not. Just getting tired of the name calling or inferences.

Why I don't post so much any longer on OT.

nijinski
07-30-2012, 09:37 PM
In respect to the family of the theater victims , It's in poor taste !
Say what you want about Obama without turning this tragedy into a campaign opportunity.

Not pointing fingers here .

NJ Stinks
07-30-2012, 09:44 PM
My two cents is that this poll gives us something worthy of discussion. And free speech has to be part of that discussion.

Now I understand that Marshall Bennett, Wagering Girl, & Saratoga Mike disagree with me on bringing free speech into it. That's OK with me. If we agreed on everything, boredom would set in fast.

bigmack
07-30-2012, 09:53 PM
Then there is the incredible hypocrisy. If Obama had ceased military operations he would have been accused of being a Muslim or Muslim sympathizer. If he had closed Guantanamo he would would have been accused of being soft on terrorists. If Obama had stopped drone attacks he would have been accused of not protecting us.
Funny little soap box you got there. You really have become a cartoon like character with this little bit of yours, suckin' on all things BO. Get a room, would ya?

------------

Blame the caper on Ralphie Boy.

Maurice Clements, the man in charge of the billboard, says he is part of a group who honor the memory of the late Libertarian activist Ralph "What's That" Smeed.

He says the group is angry over Obama not bringing troops home from war.

"We’re all outraged over that killing in Aurora, Colo., but we’re not outraged over the boys killed in Afghanistan," Clements said of his message.

http://smeedonstate-ism.com/ralphy.jpg

Ralphy was a potato from Idaho and would -

One of his more interesting projects was the construction of a 15’ x 36’ foot reader board sign at the edge of Caldwell , Idaho. Its messages continue to amuse, tantalize and provoke the citizens of Caldwell and SW Idaho

Those Idahoian provocateurs, what a hoot they is. :ThmbUp:

Gettin' all libertarian & all.

PaceAdvantage
07-31-2012, 01:57 AM
And free speech has to be part of that discussion.Why? Whether something is in bad taste or not has nothing to do with whether or not it should exist in the first place, or be banned by the government.

I voted that it is very inappropriate.

newtothegame
07-31-2012, 02:50 AM
I voted very inappropriate.....
Fully, with the understanding that those who say "free speech" an their position.
But, we must remember just because we have the right to do something doesn't mean its right to do.
Definitely bad taste!

Marshall Bennett
07-31-2012, 06:34 AM
My two cents is that this poll gives us something worthy of discussion. And free speech has to be part of that discussion.

Now I understand that Marshall Bennett, Wagering Girl, & Saratoga Mike disagree with me on bringing free speech into it. That's OK with me. If we agreed on everything, boredom would set in fast.
You can talk about free speech all you want. I certainly believe in free speech. All I meant was the billboard was inappropriate in that it was directed in poor taste towards a sitting president and that free speech wasn't the issue. Suppose these billboards were posted mile after mile on every interstate in the country, would free speech still make it appropriate?

Tom
07-31-2012, 07:51 AM

Unless you live in Chicago, Boston, of DC, where the democrat will penalize you for doing so. As long as you agree with stinking dems, you can say it.

Saratoga_Mike
07-31-2012, 09:05 AM

Most are quite revolting, I suspect (not a fan of rap myself, so I'm far from an expert). Why do you ask?

DJofSD
07-31-2012, 09:25 AM
Just to probe the boundaries of political correctness.

Tom
07-31-2012, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by DJofSD

Some of them cross the line. While they have the right to rap it, any responsible media organization would not play it or sell it.

And we all have the right to not listen to it.....which brings up a point about these stupid bass-boosting car stereos that you can hear three blocks away......