PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Musings

bigmack
07-30-2012, 12:47 AM
- Use of music on women's floor routine is complete unnecessary. Pull the plug on that ferever.
- Allowing NBA players to compete in baketbawl is absurd.
- Why do people cheer swimmers? They can't hear anything.
- What's with all the empty seats?

lsbets
07-30-2012, 12:54 AM
[INDENT]- Use of music on women's floor routine is complete unnecessary. Pull the plug on that ferever.

As sick as I am of hearing my daughters floor music for hours on end every day, the routines are choreographed to the music. Floor routines would be pretty dull without the music. I can't understand why you want to get rid of it, but to each his own.

On a semi related note, I took my gymnastics knowledge and made some bets on the Olympics. Feel pretty good about my chances:

Have even money on US women for gold (they are so friggin good and deep, its like betting on Secretariat in the Belmont)
Got 5/2 on Douglass for the all around gold.
Got 4/1 on Douglass on the bars.
And have 6/1 on Raisman on the floor.

bigmack
07-30-2012, 01:06 AM
As sick as I am of hearing my daughters floor music for hours on end every day, the routines are choreographed to the music. Floor routines would be pretty dull without the music. I can't understand why you want to get rid of it, but to each his own.
In most cases there are 6 other events taking place. You have applause for beam performances, sighs from fallen competitors.

The fidelity of the music in the arena sucks. Sound waves bouncin' all over the place. And while I can appreciate the effort in choreography, the typical interpretation ain't exactly jivin' with the music. Not unlike these 'synced' fireworks with music. They're always out of whack.

Not that I want to be a killjoy or anything.

johnhannibalsmith
07-30-2012, 01:16 AM
- Use of music on women's floor routine is complete unnecessary. Pull the plug on that ferever.
- What's with all the empty seats?

- Why can I watch make believe sports like bicycle riding and swimming all day long but never seem to be able to catch a boxing match?

Tom
07-30-2012, 07:40 AM
When is the curling on TV?
I can't find it listed.

Jay Trotter
07-30-2012, 07:51 AM
I can't find it listed.2014 in Russia, I believe! :lol:

sammy the sage
07-30-2012, 08:45 AM
Faking...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/faking-enhancing-sound-olympics-201149772--oly.html

Tom
07-30-2012, 09:56 AM
What is the over/under on:

Russian women who turn to be Russian men
Chinese athletes who will fail drug tests

sammy the sage
07-30-2012, 10:40 AM
What is the over/under on:
Chinese athletes who will fail drug tests

Zero...they're using what "Ness" uses...Itpp ...don't think it's banned or checked for yet...

Greyfox
07-30-2012, 11:24 AM

Why?
The amateurism requirements that cost Jim Thorpe his medals were dropped long ago.
Therefore professional athletes can enter any sport.
Even the Boston Marathon winner makes bucks.
The Tennis players are millionaires.
At the Winter Games the U.S.A. and Canada load up on N.H.L. players.
N.B.A. players are on several teams at the Olympics. For example, France has 6.
Nations have to send their very best competitors in any sport.
In the case of basketball, that would mean N.B.A. players - unless you want to send a college team and lose.

DJofSD
07-30-2012, 11:41 AM
I'm not sure I completely understand this (http://www.cnbc.com/id/48396019) report.

Apparently, these games are the social media games, and, there have been some overload problems. These outages have raised the anger of the consumers which then causes them to voice their displeasure using the very networks that have failed them. Not too smart.

Where I have a little difficulty is this:Commentators on Saturday's men's cycling road race were unable to tell viewers how far the leaders were ahead of the chasing pack because data could not get through from the GPS satellite navigation system travelling with the cyclists.

Does that paragraph mean the information about the distance between the pelaton and the GC did not get through Twitter? A GPS receiver accessing data from the satellites is one thing. Are the competitors outfitted with devices which stream GPS locations via Twitter?

Or, am I just totally confused?

DJofSD
07-30-2012, 11:45 AM
Why?
The amateurism requirements that cost Jim Thorpe his medals were dropped long ago.
Therefore professional athletes can enter any sport.
Even the Boston Marathon winner makes bucks.
The Tennis players are millionaires.
At the Winter Games the U.S.A. and Canada load up on N.H.L. players.
N.B.A. players are on several teams at the Olympics. For example, France has 6.
Nations have to send their very best competitors in any sport.
In the case of basketball, that would mean N.B.A. players - unless you want to send a college team and lose.
Maybe the basketball competition should use the same rules as men's soccer.

Men's soccer teams are limited to just a few professional players. That's what killed ESP, they did not have the Puyol's and Picque's on the team. And, I think that is what was at the root of the GBR team electing to go with Giggs and not any other big-time player like Rooney.

elysiantraveller
07-30-2012, 11:57 AM

You can hear the crowd. Especially in breaststroke.

DJofSD
07-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Does that paragraph mean the information about the distance between the pelaton and the GC did not get through Twitter? A GPS receiver accessing data from the satellites is one thing. Are the competitors outfitted with devices which stream GPS locations via Twitter?

Or, am I just totally confused?
On a reread, I think the problem is the fans lining the route for the race were not receiving Twitter feed for the race. I think....

Greyfox
07-30-2012, 12:08 PM
On a reread, I think the problem is the fans lining the route for the race were not receiving Twitter feed for the race. I think....

The announcers were not receiving the feed either for the breakaway group time gap and the peloton.
Compared to the Tour de France announcing, the calls were very poor.

Greyfox
07-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Maybe the basketball competition should use the same rules as men's soccer.

Why?
If you are going to a competition of the very best, you want your very best there.
Maybe men's soccer should wake up and adopt the rules for eligibility that basketball has.

DJofSD
07-30-2012, 12:13 PM
The announcers were not receiving the feed either for the breakaway group time gap and the peloton.
What, no Bob-ke, no Phil, no Cadillac Performance competition?

DJofSD
07-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Why?
If you are going to a competition of the very best, you want your very best there.
Maybe men's soccer should wake up and adopt the rules for eligibility that basketball has.
Why, then, use any amateur athletes at all?

Striker
07-30-2012, 12:15 PM
- Why can I watch make believe sports like bicycle riding and swimming all day long but never seem to be able to catch a boxing match?
Boxing coming up at 12:15pm-2pm(central time) on NBC Sports Network and at 4pm-7pm(Central time) on CNBC and replayed at 2am(central time) on CNBC.

Greyfox
07-30-2012, 12:18 PM
Why, then, use any amateur athletes at all?

If they are the best, there is no reason amateur athletes shouldn't be there.
In many nations, even the so called "amateur athletes" are "carded."
That is to say, they receive financial support from their nation.

Native Texan III
07-30-2012, 05:24 PM

Studio commentators were talking blind.

A BBC spokesman said that a lot of the problems arose as a result of the Outside Broadcast Service, who covered the race.

"The pictures are provided by the host broadcaster OBS to all global rights holders, these are not BBC produced pictures," the spokesman explained.

"We have raised our concerns with OBS who have explained that there were GPS problems with the Locog supplied timing graphics, which resulted in a lack of information for the commentary teams."

The International Olympic Committee has also said that spectators sending a high volume of tweets and texts during the race also caused problems for the OBS by jamming mobile networks.

DJofSD
07-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Seems that Twitter and NBC have each other's back.

Guys Adam's had his Twitter account suspended. Details here. (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--critic-of-nbc-has-twitter-account-suspended-after-network-complains.html)

Greyfox
07-30-2012, 05:59 PM
Studio commentators were talking blind.

Paul Sherwin and Phil Liggett were essentially talking "blind" during the Tour de France as well.
Every day they'd go to the end of the leg of the race and announce from a studio there.
Their efforts have always been world class.
The Olympic announcing of the cycling road race was the shits.

mostpost
07-30-2012, 07:46 PM
I can't find it listed.
2014. It's on ice. No skiing this time either. :rolleyes:

Tom
07-31-2012, 08:04 AM
NBC wins Gold in stupitiy!
Just moments before the event, NBC aired a promo saying that the Gold medal winner, of that event, Missy Whatshername would be interviewed! :lol:

Great coverage, boys.

DJofSD
07-31-2012, 08:53 AM
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/olympics/blogs/nbc-spoiled-missy-franklin-s-victory-moments-before-it-aired/article_98450251-f669-54f4-beaa-7577ab51f6d9.html

WaHoo
07-31-2012, 09:41 AM
American Lindsey Vonn has had to forfeit her
Gold Medal on Friday, June 15, 2012.

The International Olympic Committee announced today that it has
taken back the gold medal previously awarded to American skier
Lindsey Vonn and given it to U.S. President Barack Obama.

Olympic officials said Obama deserved the medal more than Vonn
because no one has ever gone Downhill faster than he has

PaceAdvantage
08-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Is it just me, or do at least two members of the gymnastic team look as if they've had plastic surgery (nose jobs - and pretty bad ones at that)?

How young are these girls again? :eek:

Tom
08-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Are they all girls?

cj's dad
08-01-2012, 10:31 AM
Native of Rodgers Forge (a Baltimore suburb) has become the leading medal winner in modern Olympic history. Way to go Michael.:ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

DJofSD
08-01-2012, 12:12 PM
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/go-gold-pay-irs_649187.html

Because conservatives are scrooges, the good folks at Americans for Tax Reform have gone through the fine print to find out what our Olympians will have to cough up to the IRS should they be lucky enough to win any medals in London.

Even by the standards of our government, the numbers are insane.

lsbets
08-06-2012, 11:07 PM
On a semi related note, I took my gymnastics knowledge and made some bets on the Olympics. Feel pretty good about my chances:

Have even money on US women for gold (they are so friggin good and deep, its like betting on Secretariat in the Belmont)
Got 5/2 on Douglass for the all around gold.
Got 4/1 on Douglass on the bars.
And have 6/1 on Raisman on the floor.

2 out of 3 so far. Profit on my Olympic bets no matter what. Feel really good about Raisman at 6-1 for my last bet.

bigmack
08-06-2012, 11:32 PM
2 out of 3 so far. Profit on my Olympic bets no matter what. Feel really good about Raisman at 6-1 for my last bet.
I wondered how you were doin'. Tip-top. Nice shootin' Tex. :ThmbUp:

May I interject something at this moment in time?

How come the dudes don't use music on their floor routines - Too boring? :p
----

It seemed Maroney was the biggest chalk in recent history that fell short. True?

lsbets
08-06-2012, 11:55 PM
I wondered how you were doin'. Tip-top. Nice shootin' Tex. :ThmbUp:

May I interject something at this moment in time?

How come the dudes don't use music on their floor routines - Too boring? :p
----

It seemed Maroney was the biggest chalk in recent history that fell short. True?

I know nothing about men's gymnastics. My son plays tennis. Its been great to watch. Del Potro/Federer was awesome.

If I remember correctly, Maroney was about 1/2 for the vault. While she is far and away the best in the world, there was no way I could bet her at that price.

Did you see when they superimposed her vault over the best men's vault? She starts from a lower platform and got up about 2 feet higher. Amazing.

bigmack
08-07-2012, 12:47 AM
Did you see when they superimposed her vault over the best men's vault? She starts from a lower platform and got up about 2 feet higher. Amazing.
Funny you should mention that. I'm rarely awed by athleticism but that was incredible.
--
I see the ease in which the top sprinters conduct business. Throughout the semi's, and into the gold rounds, the look of ease on the part of Jeter, Bolt & all the other golds, make them look like it's a walk in the park. I guess it's like when Jeff Beck picked up a Strat or Federer picked-up a racket.

Ease of operation comes with talent.
-----

Good to hear the son is taking up tennis. It was my game throughout HS. Tell him if he's ever in SanD, we'll play on clay and I'll show little in the way of mercy. :kiss:

lsbets
08-07-2012, 01:05 AM
Funny you should mention that. I'm rarely awed by athleticism but that was incredible.
--
I see the ease in which the top sprinters conduct business. Throughout the semi's, and into the gold rounds, the look of ease on the part of Jeter, Bolt & all the other golds, make them look like it's a walk in the park. I guess it's like when Jeff Beck picked up a Strat or Federer picked-up a racket.

Ease of operation comes with talent.
-----

Good to hear the son is taking up tennis. It was my game throughout HS. Tell him if he's ever in SanD, we'll play on clay and I'll show little in the way of mercy. :kiss:

The thing I love about Ben playing tennis is I can get out there with him and really enjoy it.

Maroney is a freak on the vault. I hope she comes back in 4 years. Our team might actually be stronger in 2016 than it is now. Kyla Ross turns 16 this year and only made the team this year because Anna Li got injured. Maroney is 16. Katelyn Ohashi turns 16 next year, and a lot of people think she would have been the best gymnast on this team if she were old enough (you have to turn 16 in the year of the Olympics to compete). Her coach (Nastia Liukin's Dad) thinks she might be the best he has ever trained, and his gym also trained Carly Patterson.

sammy the sage
08-07-2012, 06:49 AM
nsfw...olympic commentary... :lol:

http://kottke.org/12/08/some-boats-in-a-race

DJofSD
08-07-2012, 09:44 AM
nsfw...olympic commentary... :lol:

http://kottke.org/12/08/some-boats-in-a-race
"It's the beginning of the race! I got it wrong, it's the beginning of the race!"

Even though the joker realized his mistake at the very end, he still comes off as a blithering idiot.

First rule of broadcasting: engage your brain before opening your mouth.

FantasticDan
08-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Oh no! Faux News suggests that US uniforms and chanting aren't as patriotic as they should to be..

http://thinkprogress.org/alyssa/2012/08/06/644531/fox-news-doesnt-think-olympic-gold-medalist-gabby-douglas-is-patriotic-enough/?mobile=nc

:lol: :bang:

lsbets
08-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Raissman wins gold on the floor.

3 for 4 with a hell of an ROI betting women's gymnastics. :jump:

thaskalos
08-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Womens beach volleyball is fast-becoming my favorite Olympic sport. :jump:

delayjf
08-10-2012, 09:34 AM
I do not like the version of the Star Spangled Banner they play when America wins gold. I think its being sped up.

FantasticDan
08-10-2012, 12:04 PM
I do not like the version of the Star Spangled Banner they play when America wins gold. I think its being sped up.
HmJHHp3Q1Hw

wisconsin
08-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Holy smokes, when I was in elementary school, I was tought "My Country Tis of Thee", which I suddenly realize is really a ripoff of "God Save the Queen".

I just got over people singing "Oh Christmas Tree" just before the Preakness.