PDA

View Full Version : And he is 70-1!!!!!

thaskalos
07-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Why do race announcers take such delight in pointing out to us that the winner of the race is 70-1...and the place horse is 44-1?

Do they really think that this is "good news"?

cj
07-29-2012, 03:21 PM
Why do race announcers take such delight in pointing out to us that the winner of the race is 70-1...and the place horse is 44-1?

I was watching. I don't really care if it is good or bad news, it just sounded pretty silly to me. Hey, at least he got the names right!

Speed Figure
07-29-2012, 03:30 PM
It is good news for the people that bet it.

maddog42
07-29-2012, 04:58 PM

I haven't picked a 70-1 shot in 10 years, but when you hit one you WANT the announcer to sound like that. For the rest of us it sucks.

maddog42
07-29-2012, 05:11 PM
I stayed away from some of the other threads criticising the announcers for
Jazzing it up, but lets face it most of us are old fuddyduddys, and will be dead soon. Have you noticed that in some other sports like bowling the audience
(and announcers) go crazy nowadays? Maybe we need announcers to make this sport more attractive and exciting to the young? And yes I know the sport is exciting to you and me, but if you look around at the track lately...
well nuff said. If bikini clad women jockeys would help this sport, I would applaud the change.

PaceAdvantage
07-29-2012, 06:43 PM

Do they really think that this is "good news"?Why not? It's an unusual occurrence...it lights up the tote board and gets people talking and excited.

I think it's more than appropriate...

TravisVOX
07-29-2012, 06:52 PM
We've really hit a new low if excitement over a 70-1 shot is the source of criticism.

windstone
07-29-2012, 06:53 PM
bikini clad my rear end. go chantel, go girl...:lol::lol::lol:

cj
07-29-2012, 07:01 PM
We've really hit a new low if excitement over a 70-1 shot is the source of criticism.

I personally wasn't criticizing the excitement, it just sounded strange to me when it happened. Durkin has made similar calls many times in the past, so this was nothing new.

Greyfox
07-29-2012, 07:29 PM

What do you think he should have said?

CryingForTheHorses
07-29-2012, 07:35 PM
In all honesty when my horse is in front I dont care about the odds,What I like to hear is a anouncer giving the lead horse the best acccolades he can as its the horse that wins the race.Tons of owners like to hear great calls for their winners as they are sometimes very few and far between.The anouncer should also have a vibe with the bettors in getting them excited and cheering.This is what its about.Maybe as a bettor and never owning horses this may also encourage other people to get a horse as the excitment holds no limits.

andtheyreoff
07-29-2012, 07:56 PM
Have we really gotten this cynical, to the point where a call of a longshot merits its own thread?

mistergee
07-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Have we really gotten this cynical, to the point where a call of a longshot merits its own thread?
yeah plus maddog said we will all be dead soon

thaskalos
07-29-2012, 08:28 PM
Hold on a second here...

When you decided to start a brand new thread to announce that the opening day list of entries at Saratoga "WAS OUT!!!" -- a thread which, by the way, garnered the grand total of 2 replies -- did I jumb aboard and declare that your thread was unnecessary and trivial?

I happen to think that a totally improbable race outcome, which causes 99%+ of the bettors to rip up their tickets in disgust, does not warrant gleeful announcements of the odds from the race caller.

I may very well be wrong, of course, and you are welcomed to disagree with me...but why question me for starting the thread?

Haven't we started threads about even more trivial things here?

maddog42
07-29-2012, 08:35 PM
yeah plus maddog said we will all be dead soon

Nothing personal Mistergee. I will turn 60 pretty soon and that and a friend dying has got me to thinking about my age and the average age of the fans I see at the OTB and track. A few of them have died as well. Just stupid depressing crap on my part. But it does point out the fact that most of the fans seem to be over 40. This is a great sport/hobby we have here and it is frustrating to see it in it's diminished state. And of course my statement was true, in that when you have this many 50-60-70 year olds, quite a few will die pretty soon.

maddog42
07-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Hold on a second here...

When you decided to start a brand new thread to announce that the opening day list of entries at Saratoga "WAS OUT!!!" -- a thread which, by the way, garnered the grand total of 2 replies -- did I jumb aboard and declare that your thread was unnecessary and trivial?

I happen to think that a totally improbable race outcome, which causes 99%+ of the bettors to rip up their tickets in disgust, does not warrant gleeful announcements of the odds from the race caller.

I may very well be wrong, of course, and you are welcomed to disagree with me...but why question me for starting the thread?

Haven't we started threads about even more trivial things here?

Damn right we have. Every day. Sorry to hijack the thread about morbid Sh*t. It did add some validity to my argument though.

Ocala Mike
07-29-2012, 09:06 PM
Durkin has made similar calls many times in the past, so this was nothing new.

Surprised nobody's commented on the fun he had calling the 4th horse, "Thingamajigg," in the 2nd race today. Go back and listen to the call; priceless!

EJXD2
07-29-2012, 10:47 PM
I haven't picked a 70-1 shot in 10 years, but when you hit one you WANT the announcer to sound like that. For the rest of us it sucks.

Spot on... when I had All Squared Away in the Lexington, I took particular pleasure in Kurt Becker playing up the longshot nature of the victory.

On the other hand, when a bomb is nosing me out it does make me even more upset!

jdhanover
07-29-2012, 11:08 PM
I think because it was an unexpected result, the announcer notices it and comments. Never thought it was a problem per se. Of course, it helps if you have a few $ on him !!!

GARY Z
07-30-2012, 06:10 AM
first, he is a SHE, aka 3 year old filly.

second, the filly figured:2nd time lasix, w/o on 6/1 was huge, and
blinker on, Espinoza off. :bang:

Trainer stats last year was 1/24, jock last year was .06 percentage rider. :eek:

sure this thread is lol,but the fav was overbet and suspect.

The hype is sometimes gets the juices going with both novices and
experienced handicappers especially in 100 degree heat at the Spa.

All of us look for a score even if the overlay was 5-1 vs a 3-5.

time to turn the page..

gregrph
07-30-2012, 09:45 AM
I was at Saratoga yesterday and thought the call was very appropriate. I've seen many favorites win and higher priced horses win, but it IS an uncommon occurance when a 70-1 shot and a 45-1 shot come in first and second. Kinda nice to see something happen that is not too common. All the talk I heard around me afterwards was how exciting it was and how cool it was to see a rare occurance. It didn't hear any angry words about how those rseults should not have happened or how the jockey gave a bum ride or there was a fix. It might not be something for the pros here to get excited about but it DID bring excitement to the fans in the stands!

classhandicapper
07-30-2012, 09:49 AM
I think to some extent he was playing to a slightly less sophisticated crowd in Saratoga.

brivolta
07-30-2012, 11:13 AM
That Al Michaels guy had a lot of nerve getting so excited about the 70-1 shot USA Hockey Team beating the Soviets. "DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES???? YES!!!!" Would have been much better if he said "Game's over folks. Nothing to see here."

tzipi
07-30-2012, 11:26 AM

I agree, what the heck is the problem with an announcer calling out a huge longshot where people who were smart enough to play it are getting paid big time. It doesn't happen often so there's an excitement to it. How there's a thread about it, is beyond me.

Little Watermelon
07-30-2012, 12:16 PM
I agree, what the heck is the problem with an announcer calling out a huge longshot where people who were smart enough to play it are getting paid big time. It doesn't happen often so there's an excitement to it. How there's a thread about it, is beyond me.

I don't have an opinion one way or the other about how Durkin calls it, although Sunday wasn't the first time he has referred to the odds in his call. But take a look at the PP's for that winner. The only upside to the horse was that he only had two bad races on his resume, so there was room to improve. No speed, an unknown trainer. The only people I know around me who had it were playing daily doubles to "all", and a friend's kid who asked the groom as he was coming in if the horse was going to win and the groom said "yes". He knew the right groom to ask.

The Contessa horse looked more likely, as he had two turf routes and was running back on the dirt, and there were a couple turf route-dirt wins this weekend.

If someone has a reasonable handicapping angle to pick this horse, I'd welcome hearing it. I disagree with your statement about people "smart enough to play it", but if you have a good reason after looking at the PP's for the race, let me know, please.

overthehill
07-30-2012, 12:57 PM
the only angle i have to offer was that the rail who was the ml favorite and some peoples best bet was tepidly bet early. in a bottom rung maiden claimer on off-track when the favorite is suspect a long shot winning cant be too much of a surprise, also i believe that the second favorite got involved in a speed duel with the other long shot, so the winner sitting third essentially picked up the pieces and when the chalk didnt fire was home free. besides the two favorites anyone could pretty much have won on paper.

Little Watermelon
07-30-2012, 01:08 PM
Since Ess Shape won that maiden claimer for Frank Martin last year at the meet, I look for longshots in those races, as they are sometimes chaotic. This was a tough one to have, though. If a handicapper saw something in him that gave him confidence to play him, I salute him.

Also, I look for something in the running lines, brief speed, a move and flattened out, impossible post, a run late, troubled trip, etc., but it looked like the horse was just slow.

Durkin mentioned the odds in his call of that race, too.

tbwinner
07-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Don't play pick 4s every card but when there's a state-bred bottom maiden claimer full of slobs (in New York or especially Illinois) I usually hit the ALL button.

cj
08-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Durkin again...apparently heading into the stretch, not only was Bizzy Caroline on the lead, she was also blowing by horses on the outside.

PaceAdvantage
08-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Durkin again...apparently heading into the stretch, not only was Bizzy Caroline on the lead, she was also blowing by horses on the outside.I was watching the race and didn't even notice...I was too busy smiling as the :7: just won as easy as she pleased...

cj
08-06-2012, 05:04 PM
I was watching the race and didn't even notice...I was too busy smiling as the :7: just won as easy as she pleased...

I knew which horse was coming which is why I noticed. I really am fan of Durkin, but this meet he is slipping big time. I don't pay that much attention and I hear mistakes nearly every day.

cj
08-06-2012, 05:32 PM
I also find his commentary on fractions comical, but that is nothing new.

thaskalos
08-06-2012, 05:36 PM
I really am fan of Durkin, but this meet he is slipping big time. I don't pay that much attention and I hear mistakes nearly every day.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one...

cj
08-06-2012, 05:38 PM

I don't have much else to do, we are finishing up three straight weeks of topping the 100 degree mark here in OKC, and some days the index was over 120. There doesn't appear to be any relief in site until at least the 16th.

PhantomOnTour
08-06-2012, 05:40 PM
I hear his slip ups a lot too...makes me sad as i'm a big fan.

He gets a lot of pub for, "Tiznow wins it for America" which is probably his greatest call, but i love two of his Belmont Stks calls (esp the fist one):

"A picture is worth a thousand words; this one is worth five million dollars"
(Victory Gallop beats Real Quiet)

"It's been 25yrs, just one furlong to go...."
(Birdstone beats Smarty)

Oops, almost forgot, "Dehere has been defeated; there's a new kid on the block and his name is Brocco"

johnhannibalsmith
08-06-2012, 06:01 PM

It's tough on a guy that has always considered him head and shoulders above his peers to hear him stammer and flounder through call after call these days... :(

thaskalos
08-06-2012, 06:19 PM
It's tough on a guy that has always considered him head and shoulders above his peers to hear him stammer and flounder through call after call these days... :(
I agree...

I am probably more critical than most here when it comes to pointing out Durkin's decline...but I mean no disrespect by it.

Time takes its toll on us all...:(

bigmack
08-06-2012, 06:41 PM
I hadn't realized TD grew up in Chicago and was a big fan of Phil Georgeff, like myself; Herschel 'Slansky' Bittman.

EDkHBaf1U70

Durkin studied drama at St. Norbert College in De Pere, Wisconsin. In 1971, he was hired as a race caller at Quarter Horse and Thoroughbred races at county fairs in Wisconsin. He did this each summer through 1975 then the following year was employed by the Daily Racing Form as a call taker responsible for documenting the comments and statistics used in the official charts of the races at Cahokia Downs and Thistledown Racecourse. He went on to work as a race caller at Florida Downs in Oldsmar, Florida, Miles Park Race Track in Louisville, Kentucky, Quad City Downs in East Moline, Illinois, Balmoral Park Racetrack in Crete, Illinois, Hialeah Park Race Track in Hialeah, Florida, Meadowlands Racetrack in East Rutherford, New Jersey, and Gulfstream Park in Hallandale Beach, Florida and in 1990 was hired to call races at the New York Racing Association's Aqueduct Racetrack, Belmont Park and Saratoga Race Course.

thespaah
08-07-2012, 05:03 PM

It rarely happens. Somebody won a lot of money. Most likely a newb...AND because they won a lot of money, they might just come back and bet some more!
Ya know, sometimes ya gotta let what's left your hair down and have a little friggin fun!

thaskalos
08-07-2012, 05:21 PM
It rarely happens. Somebody won a lot of money. Most likely a newb...AND because they won a lot of money, they might just come back and bet some more!
Ya know, sometimes ya gotta let what's left your hair down and have a little friggin fun!
Golly gee...why didn't I think of that?

Thanks for the insight...and for the helpful advice.

Sadly...I have no hair left to let down.

When I see a horseplayer with a full head of hair...I have to assume that he is not betting enough...

thespaah
08-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Golly gee...why didn't I think of that?

Thanks for the insight...and for the helpful advice.

Sadly...I have no hair left to let down.

When I see a horseplayer with a full head of hair...I have to assume that he is not betting enough...
The unwarranted sarcasm is duly noted.
Settle down.
I posted tongue in cheek.
Jesus Christ!

thaskalos
08-07-2012, 09:10 PM
The unwarranted sarcasm is duly noted.
Settle down.
I posted tongue in cheek.
Jesus Christ!
Sorry...

It's been a hard day...

BlueShoe
08-07-2012, 11:33 PM
You think our race callers get a bit overly dramatic at times? Catch a Latin American soccer match sometime. When a goal is scored their announcers make our guys sound almost passive. :D

jeebus1083
08-08-2012, 04:22 PM

:-D