PDA

View Full Version : Golf instruction

mountainman
07-29-2012, 02:49 PM
I've been taking lessons and improving by leaps and bounds. I always knew something was completely wrong with my swing, and my instructor nailed it within 3 minutes and got me taking the club back on proper plane, which has made a world of difference, He's an old-school guy who espouses the "one swing fits all clubs" doctrine. This approach-hit down into the ball and keep the right shoulder back-works great with middle irons, and has even got me spinning the ball backwards (occcasionally) with my wedges, but on short chip shots, it feels like overkill and just doesn't work right. The resultant grounders and skulls have me frustrated and confused. Any golfers out there with thoughts on this?

Greyfox
07-29-2012, 03:08 PM
I've been taking lessons and improving by leaps and bounds. I always knew something was completely wrong with my swing, and my instructor nailed it within 3 minutes and got me taking the club back on proper plane, which has made a world of difference.

That's great Mike. Continue what he's telling you.

In my own instance I've golfed for years and years. Being only a once a week golfer, it's hard to improve. Yet, I love the game and have read a lot of instruction books on it.

This year....golfing just once a week...I've made a breakthrough. If you call 7 shots a round a breakthrough.

I discovered a number of videos by Paul Wilson of Swing Machine Golf on the internet. I've studied several of them and I've improved.
The grip is very light, and the wrists are very loose. The arms just go along for the ride, with the main source of power being the body.
Here's one of them:

-yDlNY7W-ys&feature=related

Jay Trotter
07-29-2012, 04:18 PM
... but on short chip shots, it feels like overkill and just doesn't work right. The resultant grounders and skulls have me frustrated and confused. Any golfers out there with thoughts on this?This sounds like an issue of clubhead speed. With the shorter chip shots players tend to lack the confidance to take a big enough backswing and generate the necessary clubhead speed to get the ball up in the air.

My suggestion, go somewhere you can practice taking a full swing and let the loft of the club do its work. The more short shots you take with a fairly full swing the more confidant you'll be when your in an actual game. You have to trust your swing and take your lumps at first but eventually you'll realize that letting the loft do its thing will cure this problem.

Hope that makes sense.

Trotter:ThmbUp:

Greyfox
07-29-2012, 05:23 PM
, but on short chip shots, it feels like overkill and just doesn't work right.

Chip shots? Here's what Paul Wilson (youtube) says:

v5H4Yy9bKQI&feature=relmfu

Jay Trotter
07-29-2012, 05:42 PM
My comments were not for the "short chips" as per Greyfox's last video post, rather for shots slightly farther back where you need to clear a hazard or can't bump and run.

bigmack
07-29-2012, 06:32 PM
Markus -

That 'one swing fits all clubs' is balderdash. I hear pro's say that all the time, but to a novice it just doesn't work. Clearly, there a pile of changes for chip and runs. A nuanced shot, like all short play, will oftentimes be where the novice seriously augments his/her score.

Open up the blade, choke-up, take it further back in your stance, bla bla...

Go out and hit 1000+ balls at a facility that has a pitching/chipping area. If you get a chance have your kid or somebody shoot you on video hitting balls at the range. You can learn a load by watching yourself. Shoot from the side and behind.

And don't be like every other duffer and take the game too serious. Have fun and enjoy the flight of well hit shot or drained 30' putt.

PaceAdvantage
07-29-2012, 09:06 PM
That's great Mike.Mark.

mountainman
07-30-2012, 12:32 PM
Mark.

.....edward patterson. but chicks, mcmichael included, usually call me markie.

Bettowin
07-31-2012, 10:53 AM
Magic Mark!

DJofSD
07-31-2012, 12:37 PM
I've been taking lessons and improving by leaps and bounds. I always knew something was completely wrong with my swing, and my instructor nailed it within 3 minutes and got me taking the club back on proper plane, which has made a world of difference, He's an old-school guy who espouses the "one swing fits all clubs" doctrine. This approach-hit down into the ball and keep the right shoulder back-works great with middle irons, and has even got me spinning the ball backwards (occcasionally) with my wedges, but on short chip shots, it feels like overkill and just doesn't work right. The resultant grounders and skulls have me frustrated and confused. Any golfers out there with thoughts on this?

Short chip shots -- are we talking green side only? Or are we talking about anything less than a pitch regardless of distance?

There is a rule of thumb that I've tried to get my son to understand. And, it seems as of late, it is now making sense to him. Huzza!

The ROT has to do with where is the pin, or, how much green do you have to play with? If there is a lot of green between where your ball lies and the pin, get the ball down onto the surface ASAP and let it roll. If there is very little distance to play with, the shot with a lot of elevation (think flop) is generally called for. Distances between those two extremes are a judgement call -- your confidence and comfort level will help you decide what type of shot to use.

There is a traditional gage for which club to use when landing the ball on the green ASAP to let it roll to the hole. Generally, the target to land the ball onto the green is about 1 stride or 1 yard onto the green from the fringe. If the distance between your ball and the landing spot on the green is the same distance as the landing zone to the pin, use your SW. If the distance is 1 part to the landing zone and 2 parts from the LZ to the pin, use the PW. The ratios and club selection follows from there.

As to the grounders and skulls, are we talking about all lies or just thin lies?

Bettowin
07-31-2012, 02:51 PM
I like an 8 iron for pitch and run shots. The less height the better.

mountainman
08-01-2012, 04:09 PM
tx guys--i read each response carefully.