PDA

View Full Version : Slew's Horse to Watch: Unbridled Humor - again!

MeSlew
07-28-2012, 11:11 PM
We're back with a Horse To Watch and with some thoughts on tomorrows Grade 3 Matchmaker at Monmouth Park in Oceanport, NJ.

Jersey is the only place I know of in the the entire Milky Way that has a shore instead of a coast. And certainly, the lovely gem that sits just a stones throw from the Jersey SHORE, hard by the mighty Atlantic Ocean will be the focal point of the racing world tomorrow for one of two reasons: either it will be because Monmouth Park will host the Haskell Invitational OR it will be because they ran the Haskell Invitational using flippers, nose clips and life guards instead of saddles, bridles and stewards. Lets all pray for sunshine, Snookie, and great hotdogs. Not necessiarlly in that order.

Let's also consider the former option, shall we? We shall. Race 10 on the undercard is the G3 Matchmaker. And in the Matchmaker, breaking from post number 2 is Unbridled Humor. Now this somehow seems to be Slew's default key horse. And here she is again. On June 29th in this very same space, I extolled the virtues of this very same runner prior to the Eatontown, which was won by Silver Screamer. Silver Screamer is trained by Rudy Rodriguez. The very same Rudy Rodriguez of multiple fames. Student of Richard Dutrow Jr., oh let's see what else...oh yes: win percentage of .24% on the year and...hmmmmm....oh my word: .39% at Monmouth Park. And he has done with Silver Screamer what Bill Mott and George Weaver could not do.

In all fairness, she was a very late foal (May) and most likely needed some extra time to develop, although one would think smart guys like them would know that. Both Mott and Weaver lost her to claims when she refused to win in her first 3 MSW races, and then when Weaver dropped her to the Mdn 25K level. Such impatient sorts. I guess Mr. Rodriguez looked at her birth certificate and thought:

"Hmmmmmmmmmmm". So here we are. $230K later, 6 wins, 3 places, 1 show out of 12 starts and oh yes...5 wins in 7 starts including the G3 Eatontown - during which time she exposed Unbridled Humor as preferring to give up the lead instead of hold it - for the afore mentioned Rudy R. and we meet again, this time in the Matchmaker.

What to do?

Use them both. If Silver Screamer remains at her ML odds of 4-1, and Bejarano takes the money on Laughing, and the track is under water I will live or die using her with Unbridled Humor in an exacta. If the track is somehow good to firm, I will play the same way I played Zultanite when Dancing Solo beat her in the Boiling Springs: alternate bet of a trifecta based on the looks of a third entry: Laughing. If laughing looks imposing, a minimum $20 trifecta using Laughing(Goldberg & Bejarano) over Silver Screamer and Unbridled Humor as long as the odds hold on Silver Screamer.

Otherwise, I'll get over to the SHORE, grab some of the famous hot dogs at Max's, and go looking for Snookie.

Except for the hot dogs, I'd rather hit either bet!

However you see it, good luck and good 'capping! - Slew