PDA

View Full Version : I don't believe the numbers

Actor
07-28-2012, 05:55 PM
I've never gotten book value for my car when I trade it in. And I've never been able to talk a dealer down to book value when buying a used car. Maybe I'm just a lousy horse trader but I think this is the experience of most people.

Where are they getting these numbers from anyway?

Tom
07-28-2012, 06:03 PM

CBO?

Overlay
07-28-2012, 06:05 PM
I don't know about the exact source of the "blue book" values, but I've found it helpful when shopping for a price not to wait until my current car is on its last legs, or I'm under some other kind of time pressure for the purchase. The ability to walk away (especially after I've indicated that I'm ready to buy immediately if the price is right) has been effective for me in getting salesmen to a level that I'll accept.

TJDave
07-28-2012, 06:30 PM
I've never gotten book value for my car when I trade it in. And I've never been able to talk a dealer down to book value when buying a used car. Maybe I'm just a lousy horse trader but I think this is the experience of most people.

Depends on whether they intend to resell or wholesale. I don't buy new but my wife trades her car yearly. The dealer retails her trade-in. She gets a good deal.

fast4522
07-28-2012, 07:28 PM
It is much like poker, the car dealer has good months and also sometimes bad months. If the sales are hot at that dealership for the month you are not likely to get a great deal, if on the other hand the dealer is sitting on inventory that has been there too long they are more inclined to make less profit on your trade to open a footprint and move inventory in the right direction. I know several people who have traded in for a new car because their brother directed them when to trade and buy. Also if the trade in is under 80,000 miles has the most impact.

lamboguy
07-28-2012, 08:39 PM
good going gus, i am glad you hit your race this afternoon.

this is the second time i have seen you step up to the plate like this.

if you guys want to learn something, you are very fortunate to have gus on your side. he is the real deal.

thank you gus

johnhannibalsmith
07-28-2012, 11:27 PM

if you guys want to learn something, you are very fortunate to have gus on your side. he is the real deal.

thank you gus

Seconded.

PaceAdvantage
07-28-2012, 11:30 PM

thank you gusWHAT?

lamboguy
07-29-2012, 12:08 AM
he cold-conked a $50 exacta at Arlington Park today.

he is the top handicapper on this board, bar none.

PaceAdvantage
07-29-2012, 12:18 AM
he cold-conked a $50 exacta at Arlington Park today.

he is the top handicapper on this board, bar none.WHAT?

PaceAdvantage
07-29-2012, 12:20 AM
This is supposed to be a thread about used cars, no?

lamboguy
07-29-2012, 12:30 AM
i see, i posted in the wrong thread, but my problem is not a used car, its this new one. i have spent about 3 weeks trying to figure this one out. you start the car with your foot on the break and press a button. the mirrors move when you open and close the door. to shift gears you tap a ever, up for reverse and down for drive. to put the care in park you press a button.

the care has a phone that i have no clue how to use, and the radio and a/c are tough to figure as well. and when you are in reverse you can see whats in back of you on a screen.

i think i like old buicks better.

PaceAdvantage
07-30-2012, 02:18 AM
Maybe you should just stick to your scooter? Just sayin'...

wisconsin
07-30-2012, 11:31 PM

What book? There is Blue Book which sets the west coast market, NADA, which has thin margins for a dealer, and Black Book (only goes back 5 years).

Everybody wants "Excellent" trade value for high mile vehicles. If a car is truly excellent, it has new tires, new brakes, new shocks, and is lot ready. These cars are extremely rare. Cars come onto my lot less than stellar, and if your driving a dime-a-dozen car, there is no premium you are going to get, no matter what.

Want to buy a car at book wholesale? Ain't happening. I will, however, trade Blue Book Retail to Blue Book Excellent any day, but it never happens that way.

We have software that tells us market day supply and competitor pricing, so we know what the value is, based on that. If you are trading-in a common car with 100 day market supply in a 100 mile radius, it is worth LESS than book. It's gonna sit.

I have to laugh at so many people who are in love with their clunky beat-up, filthy 10 year old trade-ins with check engine lights on, among so many other things. You are better selling private, than trying to negotiate on a $500-$1,000 trade that's going to cost me just to send it to auction via carrier and auction fees.

Lefty
07-31-2012, 12:38 AM
I've bought a lot of used cars in my life and a few new ones. I've always gotten good deals on the buying and the selling. I think you're better off selling your used car than trading it in. I bought a new Nissan last Sept and the dealer didn't want to give me hardly anything for my crippled 20 year od Honda. I sold it for a grand. I asked $1500 and came down. Always ask for more than you really want.