PDA

View Full Version : Romney insults an ally; Dines and accepts contributions from potential felons,

mostpost
07-26-2012, 05:00 PM
http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-politics/20120726/EU.Romney.Britain/?cid=hero_media

In London for a fundraiser, Mitt Romney called into question the ability of Great Britain to host the Olympic Games. British Prime Minister David Cameron was not amused.

Romney was in London to attend a fundraiser sponsored by Barclays Bank. That is London, England, not New London, Ct. Why is an American presidential candidate going to a foreign country to raise campaign funds. What is he promising in return for those funds.

Barclays is one of many banks involved in the LIBOR scandal. They have already been fined $450M and many of their executives are facing criminal prosecution.

The scandal is not limited to Great Britain and the US justice department is investigating US banksters in regard to LIBOR

Pace Cap'n
07-26-2012, 05:31 PM
Aren't we all!

Saratoga_Mike
07-26-2012, 05:33 PM
http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-politics/20120726/EU.Romney.Britain/?cid=hero_media

In London for a fundraiser, Mitt Romney called into question the ability of Great Britain to host the Olympic Games. British Prime Minister David Cameron was not amused.

Romney was in London to attend a fundraiser sponsored by Barclays Bank. That is London, England, not New London, Ct. Why is an American presidential candidate going to a foreign country to raise campaign funds. What is he promising in return for those funds.

Barclays is one of many banks involved in the LIBOR scandal. They have already been fined $450M and many of their executives are facing criminal prosecution.

The scandal is not limited to Great Britain and the US justice department is investigating US banksters in regard to LIBOR

Hmm, and who oversees the three US banks that submit LIBOR to the BBA? Oh, the NY Fed. Who was the head of the NY Fed in 2008? Oh, Tim Geithner. What's he doing now? Oh, he's Obama's Treasury Sec. So what were you saying about Romney and Barclays?

Steve 'StatMan'
07-26-2012, 05:45 PM
I thought he expressed a concern any planner of major events would be wondering. Sure, the games portion might be organized, but wasn't it just within the last week that their security vendor, whom thay paid millions of pounds to, had to go to the government (and them to the military) because they only had 7,000 of the 10,000 sercurity guards/forces that they were to supply.

Plus wasn't their a major labo groiup that only within the last 2 days held off on their threat to strike - think it had to do with transporation that would have reaked swerious havoc on everything.

Don't know if he said it or wasn't quioted, but I know I'm still wonderign about if they can put on the games without serious problems. I have confidence in them, but it only takes one evil madman, like the movie theatre shottings, or the evil of the PLO members that kidnampped and killed the Israeli athletes to really ruin the event. I am concerned every year for our own Super Bowl for the same reasons. Yes, many preparations in place, but I think an aware person always wonders at least a little until it's all over.

Guess Romney will learn to be much more guarded in his public responses, although I thought it wasn't necessarily a bad statement or thought, but it was made around a lot of proud and anxiiuos politicians and a blood-thirsty media (there and perhaps here.)

Steve 'StatMan'
07-26-2012, 05:47 PM
P.S. I'll state on the forum again that I am SO GLAD that Chicago, the town I live in, DID NOT GET the 2016 Olympics!

Steve 'StatMan'
07-26-2012, 05:51 PM
As Vito Corleone slapped Sonny and said "Don't ever tell anyone outside the family what you're thinking."

bigmack
07-26-2012, 05:54 PM
Just the first in a long line of stories without legs that will be posted from North Riverside, IL for the next 8 years, as a result of hatred for Mr. Romney for no other reason than him being white.

Haters, if you will.

elysiantraveller
07-26-2012, 06:10 PM

I'm pretty sure Fox, CNN, MSNBC, the BBC, and every other major media outlet already did that a week ago... was David Cameron amused when he had to deploy the Queen's soldiers to fill the security gaps?...

:jump:

The rest of your post is absolutely fantastic though... just like European Gun Crime your Gumshoe abilities rival even those of the "detective."

Saratoga_Mike
07-26-2012, 06:15 PM

Granted it isn't Obama raising the funds himself overseas (although I think he did in 2008), but what do his donors expect in return?
"AP, July, 1, 2012

George Clooney, who last month pulled in a record $15 million for President Barack Obama’s re-election during a fundraiser at his home, will host two more events on the president’s behalf this summer — this time, in Switzerland."

Also, you do realize Romney (and Obama) are just raising money from American citizens living overseas?

Greyfox
07-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Why is an American presidential candidate going to a foreign country to raise campaign funds. What is he promising in return for those funds.

Why is an American President having a fund raising dinner in Switzerland hosted by George Clooney at $30,000 a plate? What is he promising in return for those foreign funds?

Clooney Takes Obama Fundraising Abroad With $30,000 Swiss Dinner

Read more on Newsmax.com: Clooney Takes Obama Fundraising Abroad With $30,000 Swiss Dinner (http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Obama-Clooney-fundraising-Switzerland/2012/06/29/id/444036#ixzz21lmKI9n3)

NJ Stinks
07-26-2012, 06:30 PM
P.S. I'll state on the forum again that I am SO GLAD that Chicago, the town I live in, DID NOT GET the 2016 Olympics!

When I heard the Olympics were being held in London, I had the same kind of thoughts as you, Steve. I wondered why the hell they even wanted it.

Then I saw where most of the games are being held (and the Olympic Village placed) and I thought this is doubly crazy. I know that area pretty well and it's not the best neighborhood in London by any standard.

But in the last few months I changed my mind. First, the location of the Olympic village, stadiums, etc. have really effected massive improvements in the East End of London. Secondly, who stages anything better than the English? Nobody is a fair guess.

Anyway, if terrorists don't ruin the games, I think it will be something the UK will be proud of for a long time. I just wish we got the BBC coverage instead of NBC's over-hyped/over-taped coverage. But then I think us capitalists here are getting exactly what NBC paid so much for to broadcast the Olympics here. So far that's a billion dollars worth of commercials we can look forward to sitting through. :bang:

Native Texan III
07-26-2012, 07:50 PM
The huge area of land available in the East End of London is often heavily contaminated by past industries. It needed Government pump priming funding to take the huge clean up and planning risks so that private capital could then help so that working together is more than the sum of the parts. They built up the new financial centre at Canary Wharf this way - built London Docklands Railway - an extensive driverless Metro system and rebuilt stations for the 200 mph new railway lines that come in from the East. As the centre of gravity of London gradually moves East the land soars in value plus more industries are attracted - so that the Olympics is seen as pump priming to start long term investment - not a short life investment cost in itself. Publicly funded BBC have the rights to all UK Broadcasting of Olympics - zero adverts - zero messages from our sponsors - informed and impartial broadcasters - a civilised country.

mostpost
07-26-2012, 08:11 PM
Aren't we all!
No. I am referring to people who have already committed the crime and are just waiting to be caught; not to be someone who might conceivably commit a crime in the future.

mostpost
07-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Granted it isn't Obama raising the funds himself overseas (although I think he did in 2008), but what do his donors expect in return?
"AP, July, 1, 2012

George Clooney, who last month pulled in a record $15 million for President Barack Obama’s re-election during a fundraiser at his home, will host two more events on the president’s behalf this summer — this time, in Switzerland."

Also, you do realize Romney (and Obama) are just raising money from American citizens living overseas?
You are right about Obama. The Clooney fund raiser in Switzerland is for Americans living abroad. That is stated twice in the Newsmax article which Greyfox linked to.
On the other hand there is this in the Comcast article which I posted.
(Barclays) Chief executive Bob Diamond resigned. Diamond was to have been a host of Romney's fundraiser. He dropped out of the event but had already sent a check for $2,500.

So have 82 others who listed their employer as Barclays or Barclays Capital on Federal Election Commission records, including two who gave the maximum to the Romney campaign both in 2011 and 2012.

So we have at least 82 employees of the British Bank Barclays who have contributed to Romney's campaign. And what was one of the main themes of his remarks to the group.
"I believe Dodd-Frank has gone beyond what was appropriate," Romney said of the banking bill.
He wants to repeal the legislation that would prevent banks from gambling peoples money away.

mostpost
07-26-2012, 08:32 PM
Why is an American President having a fund raising dinner in Switzerland hosted by George Clooney at $30,000 a plate? What is he promising in return for those foreign funds?

Clooney Takes Obama Fundraising Abroad With $30,000 Swiss Dinner

Read more on Newsmax.com: Clooney Takes Obama Fundraising Abroad With $30,000 Swiss Dinner (http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Obama-Clooney-fundraising-Switzerland/2012/06/29/id/444036#ixzz21lmKI9n3)

For3ign funds are not involved here as is clearly stated in the article you posted.

mostpost
07-26-2012, 08:42 PM
Just the first in a long line of stories without legs that will be posted from North Riverside, IL for the next 8 years, as a result of hatred for Mr. Romney for no other reason than him being white.

Haters, if you will.

As a white person myself, why would I hate Romney for being white? My first choice in the 2008 election was Hillary Clinton. Obama was also a good choice.
My disdain for Mitt Romney is not based on the color of his skin, it is based on his convictions. He believes in supply side; I believe in demand side. He is anti gay marriage; I am pro gay marriage. He believes in giving the haves more and the have nots less; I believe the economy grows from the bottom up. He opposes national health care; I favor it.

And I don't post stories without legs, I just post stories which you refuse to acknowledge the truth of. Which is not my problem.

bigmack
07-26-2012, 09:06 PM
As a white person myself, why would I hate Romney for being white?
And I don't post stories without legs, I just post stories which you refuse to acknowledge the truth of. Which is not my problem.
Do you know what 'having legs' means? Here's a hint: It has nothing to do with truth or fabrication. It's called Nowheresville. This "story" has all the staying power of wet toilet tissue.

Arguably, I'm running another one of my little ploys by calling you a hater. Given all the schmoes who frolicked through here saying anyone who criticized BO was doing so because he is 'black' I don't remember you ever wondering if those being accused of being haters were black, white, green or Polish.

Odd.

Steve 'StatMan'
07-26-2012, 09:26 PM
Mosty and others don't hate Romney because he's white. They hate him because he's golden.

Tom
07-26-2012, 10:51 PM
What is he promising in return for those funds.

Did you ask that question when Obama went to Germany and reenacted Hitlers' Nuremberg parades?

Did you ask that question when Obama told Puten to hang on until after the election, then he could do more to aid and abet the enemy?

Of course you didn't.
You would applaud anything this idiot does to diminsh this country.

Tom
07-26-2012, 10:54 PM

Do they give out gold medals for stupid?
Maybe some here would have been on the dais.:rolleyes:

Saratoga_Mike
07-27-2012, 08:39 AM
"AP, July, 1, 2012

I was wrong here. Read an article in the WSJ last night, and it indicated O did not personally travel overseas in 2008 for fundraising purposes. However, his team has been prolific at the task nonetheless - see yesterday's WSJ for details (don't have link; read paper version).

Saratoga_Mike
07-27-2012, 08:40 AM
As a white person myself, why would I hate Romney for being white? My first choice in the 2008 election was Hillary Clinton. Obama was also a good choice.
My disdain for Mitt Romney is not based on the color of his skin, it is based on his convictions. He believes in supply side; I believe in demand side. He is anti gay marriage; I am pro gay marriage. He believes in giving the haves more and the have nots less; I believe the economy grows from the bottom up. He opposes national health care; I favor it.

Geeh, my issue with him is his lack of convictions.

Tom
07-27-2012, 09:43 AM
He believes in giving the haves more and the have nots less

What fairer way is there than to let each EARN what each gets?
You use of the word give tells me you have no clue how the real world works.

btw, as far a your preposterously ridiculous comment about Mitt insulting the Brits......remember what one of the first things Obamba did when he took office?

Hint: Winston Churchill bust. :lol:

mostpost
07-27-2012, 02:32 PM
Geeh, my issue with him is his lack of convictions.
I have a problem with his lack of convictions too. Maybe a good prosecutor can remedy that.

Tom
07-27-2012, 02:41 PM
You know, if the bottom feeding Obama-bots want to shoot their big mouths off while their brains are unloaded, it is time for them to put up or shut up.
IF he is breaking laws, THEY are the justice department - do something about it.

You libs talk big and walk lightly.

mostpost
07-27-2012, 02:43 PM
You know, if the bottom feeding Obama-bots want to shoot their big mouths off while their brains are unloaded, it is time for them to put up or shut up.
IF he is breaking laws, THEY are the justice department - do something about it.

You libs talk big and walk lightly.
It was a pun. Sad that I have to explain it. :rolleyes:

mostpost
07-27-2012, 02:44 PM
What fairer way is there than to let each EARN what each gets?
You use of the word give tells me you have no clue how the real world works.

btw, as far a your preposterously ridiculous comment about Mitt insulting the Brits......remember what one of the first things Obamba did when he took office?

Hint: Winston Churchill bust. :lol:

I'd rather have the June Wilkinson bust anyway.

elysiantraveller
07-27-2012, 05:46 PM
I have a problem with his lack of convictions too. Maybe a good prosecutor can remedy that.

Yep... You are no different that the righties you disdain with their insulting attacks.

Saratoga_Mike
07-27-2012, 07:02 PM
Yep... You are no different that the righties you disdain with their insulting attacks.

Unless he really believes Romney belongs in jail, I think he was just cleverly twisting some words around.

mostpost
07-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Unless he really believes Romney belongs in jail, I think he was just cleverly twisting some words around.
I'm glad someone gets it. :ThmbUp:

Tom
07-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Please, Mike, never use the words cleverly and mostie in the same post.
The balance of power in the universe is at risk.

Lefty
07-27-2012, 10:15 PM
No. I am referring to people who have already committed the crime and are just waiting to be caught; not to be someone who might conceivably commit a crime in the future.

You mean like Obama when he was doing all the drugs?

Tom
07-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Or Holder, when he sold guns to drug lords?

woodtoo
07-28-2012, 09:24 AM
[/B]

I'd rather have the June Wilkinson bust anyway.

They are a better fit for you and WC wouldn't be caught in the same room with you:lol:who could blame him.

mostpost
07-28-2012, 05:28 PM
Or Holder, when he sold guns to drug lords?
Boy, are you confused. :eek:

Tom
07-28-2012, 05:37 PM
No, not at all.
You don't actually believe him do you? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Lefty
07-28-2012, 05:47 PM
mosty, obama took drugs, Holder provided guns to terrorists. And you talk of potential felons elsewhere? :bang:

mostpost
07-28-2012, 06:48 PM
No, not at all.
You don't actually believe him do you? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

The guns were sold by gun dealers, not Holder. ATF observed the sales and followed the guns. (Poorly-to say the least.) ATF never owned the guns and never sold them.

Lefty
07-28-2012, 06:51 PM
mosty, something sure stinks. Let's say allowed not sold, and everybody's got their asses covered by Obama. I think the lot are what you so aptly term: POTENTIAL FELONS

mostpost
07-28-2012, 06:52 PM
mosty, obama took drugs, Holder provided guns to terrorists. And you talk of potential felons elsewhere? :bang:

Obama took an occasional hit of cocaine and smoked marijuana occasionally. How many on here have done the same, including you?

The Banksters who rigged the LIBOR rates cost businesses and municipalities millions; billions in total.

bigmack
07-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Obama took an occasional hit of cocaine and smoked marijuana occasionally. How many on here have done the same, including you?

KaRist what a tool. Now you're here to defend how much weed and blow your mancrush did by pointing an accusatory finger to every man & woman and whimpering "You did too."

Look in the mirror and see the quintessential definition of a tool.

tool - One who lacks the mental capacity to know he is being used.

Tom
07-28-2012, 07:42 PM
The apologists are out in force today.
Sad, so much at stake, such fools enabling failure after failure.

Lefty
07-28-2012, 08:06 PM
mosty, I am 75 but I never have taken any drug except alcohol, but that's legal isn't it? I gave up alcohol when I was 50.

Lefty
07-28-2012, 08:09 PM
Oh, and Obama has cost this country trillions and Holder and his gang with their Fast and Furious b.s. have cost thousands of lives!

Saratoga_Mike
07-28-2012, 09:01 PM

The Banksters who rigged the LIBOR rates cost businesses and municipalities millions; billions in total.

Did the "Banksters" work to manipulate LIBOR higher OR lower in 2008? LOWER. Now explain to me how that cost businesses (except for other "banksters") and municipalities (except those entered into swap agreements) billions? Why did the "banksters" want to self-report lower inter-bank borrowing rates? Because higher inter-bank borrowing rates at the time* were perceived as a sign of weakness, and you didn't want that perception at the time, fearing a bank-run or a potential forced nationalization (granted it would have taken a little more than inter-banking borrowing reporting to do that). Were their traders who also benefited from LOWER rates? Sure.

*At the time, Tim Geithner did NOTHING to seriously stop the under-reporting. When the Fed extended credit to AIG in 2008 why did they use LIBOR (AFTER they knew about the "bankster" manipulation)? They could have used Fed Funds or prime, but they did not.

Rookies
07-29-2012, 10:08 AM
mosty, I am 75 but I never have taken any drug except alcohol, but that's legal isn't it? I gave up alcohol when I was 50.

That's a loooong time between Screwdrivers (the choice du jour for me at the Spa).

Tom
07-29-2012, 10:49 AM

There now, mosite - you have it all wrong, again.It is UNIONS that rig LIBOR rates!

Saratoga_Mike
07-29-2012, 03:17 PM
There now, mosite - you have it all wrong, again.It is UNIONS that rig LIBOR rates!

He's frantically googling and wikipedia'ing the matter right now; I expect to be overwhelmed with links shortly - maybe even a clip from The Ed Show!

mostpost
07-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Clever.

PaceAdvantage
07-29-2012, 07:48 PM
Romney was in London to attend a fundraiser sponsored by Barclays Bank. That is London, England, not New London, Ct. Why is an American presidential candidate going to a foreign country to raise campaign funds. What is he promising in return for those funds.You do know the real reason why he was in London, correct? It's because he headed up the Salt Lake games. I would guess that's the major reason why he is in London, England.

And like Obama, he isn't going to miss a chance to campaign or raise some dough.

Obama hasn't stopped campaigning since when? 2006 at least...

Native Texan III
07-30-2012, 05:34 PM
You do know the real reason why he was in London, correct? It's because he headed up the Salt Lake games. I would guess that's the major reason why he is in London, England.

And like Obama, he isn't going to miss a chance to campaign or raise some dough.

Obama hasn't stopped campaigning since when? 2006 at least...

No, he is definitely on election fund raising dinner activities in "friendly" countries UK, Israel and Poland.

"A group of senior US financiers will tonight host a $25,000-a-plate fundraising dinner in London for US Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney. Executives at Barclays have reportedly donated more than $1m (£645,000) to to US Republican presidential candidate Mr Romney (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/mitt-romney/)'s election campaign. They are set to hand over more this evening.
Despite this, Cyrus Ardalan, Barclays' head of UK and European government relations, insisted the bank was not a supporter of the presidential hopeful.

"I ... would like to clarify that all political activity undertaken by Barclays' US employees, including personal fundraising for specific candidates, is done so in a personal capacity, and not on behalf of Barclays," he wrote in a letter to MPs.

"Barclays is politically non-partisan, makes no political donations nor seeks to influence the political activities of its employees

"JERUSALEM—Mitt Romney raised more than $1 million at a campaign fundraiser here on his way out of Israel.
At least 40 donors paid between $25,000 and $50,000 apiece to attend a breakfast with Romney at a hotel—including Las Vegas casino magnet Sheldon Adelson, who has contributed more than $20 million to Republicans and conservative super PACS so far this election cycle. Of that total, $10 million went to Restore Our Future, a political committee backing Romney's bid for president."

Lefty
07-30-2012, 08:30 PM
A big so what? Only Obama is allowed to do fundraisers? Actually Romney was invited to London and he was asked about the Olympic games. He gave an honest answer, something Obama seems incapable of.

NJ Stinks
07-30-2012, 09:15 PM
He gave an honest answer, something Obama seems incapable of.

That reminds me of the time Obama said the cop acted stupidly (or something like that) when the cop arrested the black professor for breaking into his own house.

You guys can't handle honest answers! :lol:

dartman51
07-30-2012, 09:50 PM
That reminds me of the time Obama said the cop acted stupidly (or something like that) when the cop arrested the black professor for breaking into his own house.

You guys can't handle honest answers! :lol:

Come on NJ, you're better than that. You know he wasn't arrested for breaking into his own home. And besides, Obama himself, said he didn't know the facts, but chose to say the police acted stupidly anyway. After all, how dare the police arrest a HARVARD professor. :ThmbUp:

NJ Stinks
07-30-2012, 09:56 PM
Come on NJ, you're better than that. You know he wasn't arrested for breaking into his own home. And besides, Obama himself, said he didn't know the facts, but chose to say the police acted stupidly anyway. After all, how dare the police arrest a HARVARD professor. :ThmbUp:

Yea, I think you're right. If memory serves, the prof was arrested for giving the cop a hard time.

But still, it was an honest response from Obama.

Valuist
07-30-2012, 11:29 PM
You are right about Obama. The Clooney fund raiser in Switzerland is for Americans living abroad. That is stated twice in the Newsmax article which Greyfox linked to.
On the other hand there is this in the Comcast article which I posted.

So we have at least 82 employees of the British Bank Barclays who have contributed to Romney's campaign. And what was one of the main themes of his remarks to the group.
"I believe Dodd-Frank has gone beyond what was appropriate," Romney said of the banking bill.
He wants to repeal the legislation that would prevent banks from gambling peoples money away.

Dodd-Frank has done nothing. It tries to attack the symptom but does nothing to solve the problem. Banks can still be too big to fail under Dodd-Frank. Except now, it gives banks another reason to push additional surcharges on customers.

The answer is simple: Get Glass-Steagel back on the books.

Tom
07-31-2012, 07:59 AM
Yea, I think you're right. If memory serves, the prof was arrested for giving the cop a hard time.

But still, it was an honest response from Obama.

I think the word you meant is typical.
Obamba is asked a question about something he knows no details, but since the so-called victim was Black, he immediately sides with hima dn the poloice voer-rated.

NJ, put your obvious bias aside and think for a minute - is that an appropriate thing for a sitting president to comment on, knowing nothing about it, and then going against the cops? He could have started a race riot - history tells us Blacks are quick to resort to excessive violence for no good reason. Do we really need a racist POTUS agitating the situation?