PDA

View Full Version : Computer freeze

soupman2
07-25-2012, 11:32 AM
My computer keeps freezing when I am on the internet. It freezes like it had a keystroke logger in it. I scanned with Microsoft Essentials; Hitman Pro but they found nothing. I also used ccleaner, but it still is doing it. My kids were on this recently and I'm afraid they picked something up that is living in the RAM. I am running XP; 1.86ghz processor; w 2 Gig of ram.

Because of how it is, I can't watch the video's from Twinspires.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Bob

Red Knave
07-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Go to TaskMgr (Ctl-Alt-Del) and scan down the CPU column for a big number (i.e. some process using lots of CPU). Post back what you see there.

soupman2
07-25-2012, 12:29 PM
Nothing out of the ordinary. Right now it says 0...except SystemIdle- many times I have checked it and there are processes running. Next time I have some I will write them down. Right now all is quiet....

DJofSD
07-25-2012, 01:14 PM
General approach is to divide and conquer.

You said your computer freezes, but, you need to narrow that down more.

Is it really the entire computer? If you can select another application that is already running, or, even start something else like a game of Solitaire then your computer is not frozen.

Is it the browser that is frozen? Can you open another tab within the current browser? Are there any messages from the browser that it is waiting on a web site? Does the problem repeat if you use a different browser, say, if you are a regular user of FireFox, does IE have the same problem, or, vice versa?

If it does not appear to be a problem on your PC or with the browser, are you able to see other web sites at all? What happens if you use the DOS prompt and enter at the command line: ping www.google.com (just the proceding)?

soupman2
07-25-2012, 02:12 PM
General approach is to divide and conquer.

You said your computer freezes, but, you need to narrow that down more.

Is it really the entire computer? If you can select another application that is already running, or, even start something else like a game of Solitaire then your computer is not frozen.

For instance, this morning I was going to my home page and there was a video playing on it. Because it isn't (I believe...but I really don't know anything) loading the internet correctly, the video was moving like an old 8mm film and the voice echoed. I tried to click on the speaker icon, it did not come up for sometime. Then it just stayed there. My lights are flashing like something is going on with the hard drive...but everything just has to wait until it is finished with what it is doing.

Is it the browser that is frozen? Can you open another tab within the current browser? Are there any messages from the browser that it is waiting on a web site? Does the problem repeat if you use a different browser, say, if you are a regular user of FireFox, does IE have the same problem, or, vice versa?

Yes- it seems to have the same problem. Of course this is like going to the dentist when you have a toothache. When you get there, you don't have the toothache anymore. Well, since I posted this, it hasnt happened yet. But it does "freeze" in both Firefox and explorer.

If it does not appear to be a problem on your PC or with the browser, are you able to see other web sites at all? What happens if you use the DOS prompt and enter at the command line: ping www.google.com (http://www.google.com) (just the proceding)?

I go to run and type www.google.com and it goes to the google page.

soupman2
07-25-2012, 02:28 PM
OK- I just shut it down and restarted. I see the following (fluctuating as you know0 MpCmdRun; Svchost; MsMpEng; Carbonite service (which I canceled sometime ago) As I am typing this, there is a delay between the time I hit a key and the time it appears on the screen. Only happens every once in a while. Don't know if any of this helps.

But thank you for trying to give me a clue :)

Bob

DJofSD
07-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Regarding the Carbonite service. I know what it is but have not used it. Does it require any software to be installed when you first start to use it? If you're sure you are no longer using it, then look in the list of installed software. Control Panel, Uninstall a Program -- be patient while it builds the list -- then scroll down the list. If you do find something for Carbonite, remove it by selecting it then click on the uninstall.

The SvcHost is kind of a catch all and is a MS facility used to do work when requested by either an app or other MS facility. By itself, it is likely not the root cause of the problem, it is probably something else. Here's a little more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svchost

There still could be some clues in the Task Manager but they might be hidden. To see it all, you must run it as an Administrator. If you do not have Adminstrator priviledges with the Windows user you are using, log onto Windows using the Admin account then run the Task Manager and select Show processes from all users (or something similar to that). You must have the Processes tab selected to see the option. Selecting the option will restat TM and then you can click twice on the CPU column to sort it, descending, i.e. put the CPU piggies at the top of the list.

Also, do you have a virus detection program installed? If so, it would not hurt to run a complete scan.

And for the moment, did this problem with the browser start after any changes to any part of your PC, software update, new plug in, anything else?

soupman2
07-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Regarding the Carbonite service. I know what it is but have not used it. Does it require any software to be installed when you first start to use it? If you're sure you are no longer using it, then look in the list of installed software. Control Panel, Uninstall a Program -- be patient while it builds the list -- then scroll down the list. If you do find something for Carbonite, remove it by selecting it then click on the uninstall.

Will do....

The SvcHost is kind of a catch all and is a MS facility used to do work when requested by either an app or other MS facility. By itself, it is likely not the root cause of the problem, it is probably something else. Here's a little more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svchost

There still could be some clues in the Task Manager but they might be hidden. To see it all, you must run it as an Administrator. If you do not have Adminstrator priviledges with the Windows user you are using, log onto Windows using the Admin account then run the Task Manager and select Show processes from all users (or something similar to that). You must have the Processes tab selected to see the option. Selecting the option will restat TM and then you can click twice on the CPU column to sort it, descending, i.e. put the CPU piggies at the top of the list.

Will try this tonight....

Also, do you have a virus detection program installed? If so, it would not hurt to run a complete scan.

I have Microrsoft Essentials installed

And for the moment, did this problem with the browser start after any changes to any part of your PC, software update, new plug in, anything else?

This is what I am afraid of. My daughter used this laptop one day. she is not supposed to because it is for work. But she downloads and accepts all kinds of crap. It seems this issue started after she used the laptop. Could be that I am just paranoid, but I'm pretty sure that is when it started.

bigmack
07-25-2012, 04:05 PM
For instance, this morning I was going to my home page and there was a video playing on it. Because it isn't (I believe...but I really don't know anything) loading the internet correctly, the video was moving like an old 8mm film and the voice echoed.
Get the latest versions of all media players, Flash & Winders Media Playa, as well as FF & IE. Restart & see what happens.

Start backing up your documents onto an ext HD. This beast may be on its last leg.

Red Knave
07-25-2012, 04:08 PM
MsMpEng
That's the MS Security Essentials engine. If you open it and go to Settings, under Real-time protection, turn that off (just for now) and see if that makes a difference (you'll get a message about your PC not being secure). Also, under Scheduled Scan, click Limit CPU Usage during scan and set it to something low like 20% or 10%.

soupman2
07-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Get the latest versions of all media players, Flash & Winders Media Playa, as well as FF & IE. Restart & see what happens.

Start backing up your documents onto an ext HD. This beast may be on its last leg.

That occurred to me as well. I'm not liking this.....

soupman2
07-25-2012, 05:37 PM
You know it's funny. If doesn't seem to be freezing anymore. When the screen is slow, or blank, I hit ctr-alt-del and the page I was waiting for comes right up.

bigmack
07-25-2012, 05:48 PM
What security do you use? Don't tell me McAfee.

soupman2
07-25-2012, 05:58 PM
What security do you use? Don't tell me McAfee.

As my kids would say.....eeeeeewwwwww! I used Hitman Pro but just changed back to Microsoft Essentials.

bigmack
07-25-2012, 06:07 PM
As my kids would say.....eeeeeewwwwww! I used Hitman Pro but just changed back to Microsoft Essentials.
I HIGHLY suspect it's an anti-virus software issue. Turn all of them off (never have more than one running) and run it for a couple days. See what happens.

Also, when you hit ctr-alt-del, do you then hit cancel, or actually close something?

soupman2
07-25-2012, 06:14 PM
I HIGHLY suspect it's an anti-virus software issue. Turn all of them off (never have more than one running) and run it for a couple days. See what happens.

Also, when you hit ctr-alt-del, do you then hit cancel, or actually close something?

I hit the X to close it. I don't know enough which process to cancel. Right now I have Essentials shut down. It does seem to be running a little better. I'm going to uninstall it and run "commando" for the next 24 hours.

soupman2
07-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Do you think Microsoft Security Essentials could be conflicting with XP's Microsoft Security Center?

bigmack
07-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Do you think Microsoft Security Essentials could be conflicting with XP's Microsoft Security Center?
Anything's possible. Point is, run an anti-V that is the least intrusive possible on the system, particularly in light of you running XP.

Most people are WAY more concerned about viruses than they should.

Also, sounds like you might need to defrag. To defragment your hard drive in Windows XP, open My Computer and right-click on the C: drive. Select Properties, then click on the Tools tab and select Defragment Now...

soupman2
07-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Will do that right now. By the way Bigmack, thank you very much for spending the time with me. I appreciate your help and the others that contributed. I don't post a lot, but I am on here a bunch.

Thanks.
Bob

soupman2
07-25-2012, 07:35 PM
What is plugin-container.exe?

bigmack
07-25-2012, 07:42 PM
Long story. It's in Firefox.

Clear out all FF cookies & history and run this little honey: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/places-maintenance/

Red Knave
07-25-2012, 08:35 PM
No, it's not conflicting. And, you should have the firewall turned on too in the Security centre, IMO, if you don't already.
I hit the X to close it. I don't know enough which process to cancel. Right now I have Essentials shut down. It does seem to be running a little better. I'm going to uninstall it and run "commando" for the next 24 hours.
The MSE service is the MsMpEng one as I mentioned. You can stop it from TaskMgr if you want but turning off Real-time scanning will do the trick.
I'm with Mack and I think it's a virus engine.
Another thought is this a wireless connection? Someone could be piggy-backing on it if it's not secure.

soupman2
07-26-2012, 08:09 AM
I've done everything BigMack and Red Knave have suggested. Did a defrag last night. Seems to be running much better this morning. I do have a firewall turned on. I also downloaded the mozilla maintenance add on.

Fingers crossed this does it.

Again thanks big time for the help!

Bob

soupman2
07-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Quick update- everything to be doing ok. The defrag seem to make a big difference.

Again, thank you everyone for your help.

Bob

forced89
07-31-2012, 10:44 AM
It looks like my laptop is set up to defrag automatically once a week. I assume this is normal. Am I right?

Red Knave
07-31-2012, 01:51 PM
It looks like my laptop is set up to defrag automatically once a week. I assume this is normal. Am I right?
To paraphrase Forrest Gump, 'Normal is as normal does'.
It's normal for Windows 7. It sure isn't the wrong thing to do. If you don't want that to happen you can change it.
Soupman is running Windows XP where it's not automatic.