PDA

View Full Version : Ichiro Suzuki Now A Yankee

andtheyreoff
07-23-2012, 07:09 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120723&content_id=35428210&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

ElKabong
07-23-2012, 07:30 PM
he fills a big need for NYY that's for sure...changes a lot of things in their favor

Striker
07-23-2012, 07:36 PM
I read this quote from former Mariner Jay Buhner somewhere, and think it is a fairly consistent feeling in Seattle. Buhner was asked how he would react if Suzuki was rewarded with a multiyear extension. His reply-"I'd vomit."

ElKabong
07-24-2012, 12:19 AM
He probably recalls the Johjima experiment :)

HuggingTheRail
07-24-2012, 01:09 AM
I haven't followed baseball too much the past couple of seasons, although we get the occasional Ms banter here in Vancouver

Was the trade expected?

OTM Al
07-24-2012, 01:40 PM
Think it should be a good move. He's always hit well in NYC and will not be depended on to be the man, but rather should be batting 8th or 9th most of the time. Ibanez and Jones have done a good job filling in, but neither is full time anymore, so this should keep them fresher. Best part of all is it essentially cost nothing and the contract is up at year's end. If they can squeeze out whatever he's got left and get some flashes of the mid 2000s Ichiro, it is a team upgrade.

thaskalos
07-24-2012, 03:39 PM
People emphasize the fact that Ichiro's hitting has regressed considerably over the last couple of years...but they seem to forget what an asset he still is as a defensive weapon.

A very good move for the Yankees, IMO...and I expect his hitting to improve markedly.

BlueChip@DRF
07-24-2012, 03:44 PM
He seemed to have a spring in his step and a glistening in his eye last night.

OTM Al
07-24-2012, 04:43 PM
People emphasize the fact that Ichiro's hitting has regressed considerably over the last couple of years...but they seem to forget what an asset he still is as a defensive weapon.

A very good move for the Yankees, IMO...and I expect his hitting to improve markedly.

Yankees' scouts quoted as saying he hadn't lost anything defensively and appeared to be playing down to his surroundings. Seattle has been a pretty awful team the last couple years. Can see how that would make it hard to give it your all and keep concentration day in and day out. Just don't see a down side to it. If it doesn't work, they simply go back to what they were doing before and lost very little for the effort. Kinda sounds like the value we should look for when betting.

Robert Fischer
07-24-2012, 05:39 PM
he's a professional and a perfectionist.

those types don't always make a positive clubhouse impression on struggling teams. However they fit in easily on winning teams.

His hit totals and popularity have made him over-rated, but hopefully he can contribute to the Yanks.

Valuist
07-24-2012, 07:55 PM

His hitting has fallen off quite a bit in recent years. He is 38 now, so the bat speed has slipped a bit. He could hit better due to the change in parks; Yankee Stadium definitely a better hitters park than Seattle.