PDA

View Full Version : Just Registered

TravisVOX
01-13-2004, 10:02 PM
Hey Everyone...just discovered this site the other night. I like this message board...seems to have some ideas floating around and a great group of racing fans! Hope to participate in many discussions!

A little about myself: I currently am in college in New York State studying communication in hopes of someday calling the horse races. Horse racing, to say the least, is my life. I will readily admit to anyone I'm a horse racing nut. The OTB channel is on at all times in my room (when I'm not at school only unfortunately). I think it's an awesome sport, such amazing animals and great competition.

This past fall I became very serious about handicapping. I have always handicapped, but now I'm taking things to a new level. I've read Andy Beyer, but more so as an entertainment aspect. Right now I'm reading Quinn's Figure Handicapping and taking notes and really focusing on the details. I'm also saving all result charts for all tracks (most tracks since last August) and track profiles for the NYRA racing circuit. Hopefully this all pays off very soon!

Good luck with anyone playing tomorrow, Aqueduct is cold, literally, I doubt they run. We'll see!

Travis
stontj40@oneonta.edu

Zaf
01-13-2004, 10:06 PM
Welcome aboard Travis !!!

From a SUNY at Oneonta Alumni :)

ZAFONIC

Speed Figure
01-13-2004, 10:16 PM
Yo Travis,

If you love horseracing your at the right place! Welcome.:cool:

andicap
01-13-2004, 10:52 PM
Hey, a cousin of mine goes to Oneonta,tho she's only a freshman. Name is Dana G.

Know her?

Originally posted by TravisVOX
Hey Everyone...just discovered this site the other night. I like this message board...seems to have some ideas floating around and a great group of racing fans! Hope to participate in many discussions!

A little about myself: I currently am in college in New York State studying communication in hopes of someday calling the horse races. Horse racing, to say the least, is my life. I will readily admit to anyone I'm a horse racing nut. The OTB channel is on at all times in my room (when I'm not at school only unfortunately). I think it's an awesome sport, such amazing animals and great competition.

This past fall I became very serious about handicapping. I have always handicapped, but now I'm taking things to a new level. I've read Andy Beyer, but more so as an entertainment aspect. Right now I'm reading Quinn's Figure Handicapping and taking notes and really focusing on the details. I'm also saving all result charts for all tracks (most tracks since last August) and track profiles for the NYRA racing circuit. Hopefully this all pays off very soon!

Good luck with anyone playing tomorrow, Aqueduct is cold, literally, I doubt they run. We'll see!

Travis
stontj40@oneonta.edu

TravisVOX
01-13-2004, 11:11 PM
andicap...

Dana G...hmmmmmm. I'm a junior, but its my second year at Oneonta (technically a sophomore). I had some high school credits. Is she a racing fan?! Hahahaha.

Observer
01-13-2004, 11:29 PM
Welcome aboard, Travis!

trying2win
01-13-2004, 11:31 PM
Travis,

--Welcome to the PA site. Good luck in your future racetrack endeavours. Even after studying a lot of handicapping books and reading old charts, be prepared to also attend that other school at the racetrack...i.e. the SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS! It's has some tough teachers, but you learn some very valuable lessons.

Regards,

Trying2win

ranchwest
01-13-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by trying2win
Travis,

--Welcome to the PA site. Good luck in your future racetrack endeavours. Even after studying a lot of handicapping books and reading old charts, be prepared to also attend that other school at the racetrack...i.e. the SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS! It's has some tough teachers, but you learn some very valuable lessons.

Regards,

Trying2win

Yeah, sometimes I think it is better to handicap with the nose than the brain. It helps to sniff out a winner.

kenwoodallpromos
01-14-2004, 12:08 AM
Good luck in a job in racing! My racing interests now are consistency and predicting track speed. My theory is track depth matters a lot in how stamina and running styles are affected.

levinmpa
01-14-2004, 08:34 AM
Welcome to the board. Just one word of advice. When I was in college I made the mistake of going to the track when I should have been in class. Needless to say, you know how that ended. Make sure you put school first. You've got the whole rest of your life to do the other stuff. Good luck, and you may want to check out the University of Arizona. They have a racetrack industry program that might be of interest to you.

ML

Suff
01-14-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by TravisVOX

I currently am in college in New York State studying communication in hopes of someday

Travis
stontj40@oneonta.edu

welcome aboard....see bubbles about opportunities to A/E yourself into the Derby Challange... I'm administering a Pik4 contest at NYRA right now... Look for it this weekend in the Ridersup Forum..... Your welcome to Join in...

Whats Oneonta? Upstate NY... I'll take an educated guess its "ultra-liberal"? A Liberal arts College... along the lines of Colgate, Colby and Dartmouth? Thats also good...if I'm right. Because its getting pretty close to being a Liberal Majority out here... and Lefty and his crowd have had thier way in the Off-topic Political discussions for far to long...

I'm starting a new poltical group.

Democratic Horseplayers Political Action Committee.

Our Campaign Slogan is.

Un-Seat Bush!

Larry Hamilton
01-14-2004, 10:57 AM
I wish you hadn't said that. I don't think you liberals understand that conservatives dislike you as intensely as you dislike us. You should not have drug politics up here. As long as our crazed liberals stay in the off topic thread, I can read around them. If this is a trend, count me out as I have no desire to watch liberals emote.

so.cal.fan
01-14-2004, 11:11 AM
Don't pay any mind to the "politics" Travis!
The conservatives and the liberals here all have interesting comments on HORSE RACING!!!!
Welcome aboard!

Suff
01-14-2004, 11:22 AM
its a comment on HIS College! which he introduced into the conversation! Jiminey x-mas,,, relax. Its toungues in cheek... If someone introduces himself and tells a Little bit about himself I must first proofread my reply depending what forum we are in?

Pa take the thing down....

I could make a Killing selling diapers out here. I have 3000 posts... 1 about politics (tongue in cheek I might add) outside of off topic... and very few in there too...

If your looking for a little Mix with me,,,I'm all for it... If your just complaining at the first thing that Bothers you,,, then wait until it happens twice before you bitch at me.

You think you need to tell me to Keep it to Horses? 2900 of my 3000 posts are about the game.... get off my back about one post about Politics in the incorrect Location.

or don't . whatever you want...

JustRalph
01-14-2004, 12:26 PM
what a place! you can't beat this group.........Suff, stay warm!

Suff
01-14-2004, 12:41 PM
I was just killing some time because I'm land Locked for the day...I never intended to even welcome the guy... enough had..and no sense going over the top with welcomes... but I did and I got myself all Jammed up. No good deed unpunished.

I don't care much what people post...as long as they are'nt hawking something...its all good to me...

I have my thermostat on 80 ands its still only 65 in my house...Can't wait to see this Bill from N-Star.

ceejay
01-14-2004, 04:29 PM
Hi Travis,

Welcome aboard. When I was in college, a couple of decades ago, we used to make road trips to party in Oneonta (when we weren't going to vernon downs to see the trotters).

Suff
01-14-2004, 08:34 PM
Larry has bad eyes. Someone told me he sometimes needs to read the board with a Magnifying Glass.

I sort of understand his position about being on topic.

Even though the comment was light hearted I do see where someone with bad eyes or a slow computer would prefer threads be on topic. Kind of sucks to read into something you have to work at. I like to accommodate people when I can so I apologize to Larry for not seeing his point right away.

At the same time...larry gets Jumpy quick sometimes...

he shoulda let me slide on that one...

I sent him an e-mail but he has'nt gotten around to replying.

Tom
01-14-2004, 10:34 PM
Cheap shot.

Shacopate
01-14-2004, 11:22 PM
As the self-appointed court jester on this board, you should realize that Suff was just trying to be funny.

No blood, no foul...game on!

PaceAdvantage
01-14-2004, 11:48 PM
enough already...most of us are adults here, correct?

The ultimate advice when it comes to message boards:

When in doubt, CHILL

Larry Hamilton
01-16-2004, 11:48 AM
color me chilled, sorry I fouled up the new guys thread

PaceAdvantage
01-17-2004, 07:05 PM
My prior response wasn't directed at any one person in particular...it was just good general advice....

Amazin
01-17-2004, 07:21 PM
I also attended the SUNY system back in the early 70's.I went to Oswego(sits on lake Ontario) Beautiful sunsets. I visited several friends and relatives at that time in various Suny colleges and universities but did not get a chance to visit Oneota,but I applied there and was accepted.

Suff's remark was very appropriate for a college student. In those days of Nixon and anti-war demonstrations,college students considered themselves a litle more educated than the Archie Bunkers of the time. I would imagine todays students still lean towards a proggressive future and truth.

kenwoodallpromos
01-18-2004, 06:27 PM
Welcome to the chilling, stir-crazy PA board! If you visit the off topic board remember to wear hip-boots!!LOL!!

JustRalph
01-18-2004, 06:40 PM
I just gifted (xmas) my 19 year old brother in law with about 500 bucks for books, he is attending SUNY at Albany? is this a real school or is he having a vacation with my book money?

Tom
01-18-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Amazin
I also attended the SUNY system back in the early 70's.I went to Oswego(sits on lake Ontario) Beautiful sunsets. I visited several friends and relatives at that time in various Suny colleges and universities but did not get a chance to visit Oneota,but I applied there and was accepted.

Suff's remark was very appropriate for a college student. In those days of Nixon and anti-war demonstrations,college students considered themselves a litle more educated than the Archie Bunkers of the time. I would imagine todays students still lean towards a proggressive future and truth.

You won't believe this, but I have a friend who attended Oswego in 1970 and was arrested for participating at a sit-in at the draft board. I drove up to be a character witness for him and brought his minister with me. Word was that 50,000 ax handles had been sold in the week preceeding the trial. Tense situation. I was in the courtroom when all hell broke loose outside-horresdous clash between cops and freaks. The "Oswego 7" got lost in the crowd and I was lucky to get out of the building. On our way though the meley, we saw a cop strick a woman on the ground with his stick.
The minister an I confronted him and he swung at us for no reason. The minister swung back and connected. As more cops converged, a crowd of local hippies surrounded us and wisked us out the way. We ate supper with them that night and snuck out of town early the next day. It was eiriely like Alice's Restaurant Part II. Do I owe you a dinner?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Zaf
01-18-2004, 07:01 PM
SUNY at Albany is a very good school.

ZAFONIC

Tom
01-18-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by JustRalph
I just gifted (xmas) my 19 year old brother in law with about 500 bucks for books, he is attending SUNY at Albany? is this a real school or is he having a vacation with my book money?

It is real, and it has a teletheater, too!:p

Tom
01-18-2004, 07:10 PM
Do you know a A Clark or a K Bellis from Oswego?

Zaf
01-18-2004, 07:12 PM
Yeah, the Teletheather is pretty decent :p

ZAFONIC