PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga Day 1

PhantomOnTour
07-19-2012, 03:13 PM
A few that interest me.

Race 1: #9 Voodoo Storm - an obvious player and likely to get a good pace to close into. Among the best closers in the field, got nothing to chase in a Gr3 last out, Shug suddenly a good turf trainer, 2nd off the layoff with a class drop.

Race 4: #5 Ode To Sami - a bit of a reach maybe as the #6 & #8 look tough. She was on a bad rail last out, strong worktab, consistent runner rarely throws a clunker, versatile runner can stalk or close, positive jock switch...8-1 ML

Race 7: #5 Bella Bandit - pure angle play...owner is Don Adam and he does well at Sar...12-1 ML. Also looking at #10 Living My Dream for Mike Maker. Can't see her going off anywhere near her 10-1 ML. Broke from the rail in her debut; a race where the speed ran 1-2 all the way around in a pretty fast race. Switch to Castellano, blinkers on, i'll take it.

Race 8: taking a look at #4 Crossbow, but Jackson Bend may just overwhelm this field, so get a nice price...like 9-1. This guy is getting some mention on the net so i fear he will be overbet, but McLaughlin is very good early in the meet, and this guy needed his last. Should be much sharper 2nd off the shelf...gets another class test today, and i'd prefer it if this race were only 6f, but if his barn has him ready like i think they do he can be very scary. Still may not beat JB though....this is his track and distance.

I know you've been studying...who ya like tomorrow?

RaceBookJoe
07-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Here are a few ML longshots that might give a decent run, plus i think Lezcano will have a good meet, will also be watching Rosario.

Race 2 : #1, #2
Race 5 : #4
Race 7 : #10
Race 9 : #6
Race 10 : #4

The higher the odds the better obviously, but there are also a few solid lower priced horses that look good also. Good luck to everyone playing tomorrow.

Mr G
07-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Here are a few ML longshots that might give a decent run, plus i think Lezcano will have a good meet, will also be watching Rosario.

Race 2 : #1, #2
Race 5 : #4
Race 7 : #10
Race 9 : #6
Race 10 : #4

The higher the odds the better obviously, but there are also a few solid lower priced horses that look good also. Good luck to everyone playing tomorrow.

If you had to predict today the jockey standings at the end of the upcoming meet, who do you feel will be end up in the top 5 jockey spots?

Anyone else wish to chime in please do.

RaceBookJoe
07-19-2012, 07:15 PM
If you had to predict today the jockey standings at the end of the upcoming meet, who do you feel will be end up in the top 5 jockey spots?

Anyone else wish to chime in please do.

Castellano, Dominguez, Lezcano, Leparoux, Rosario. Would expect Cornelio V to have his share of longshots also. Left of Johnny V because i dont know when he rides again. Just a guess though. Maybe Napravnik and Alvarado do some nice work also?

Mr G
07-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Castellano, Dominguez, Lezcano, Leparoux, Rosario. Would expect Cornelio V to have his share of longshots also. Left of Johnny V because i dont know when he rides again. Just a guess though. Maybe Napravnik and Alvarado do some nice work also?

I like your selections...

I would like to see Rosie end up in the top 5 but just don't know..also like your selection of Cornelio V for longshots...my other longshot jockey is I. Ortiz....and I have a gut feeling that Leparoux will have a great meet.

I'm trying to get a jockey angle going...for example a Castellano, Ramon, I. Ortiz rolling double...in addition to my regular wagers.

Maybe also, depending on the odds, of a 10 cent superfecta box of Ramon D, Javier C, I.Ortiz, Leparoux, Rosie and Rosario.

Not considering Johnny V in the mix as, like you mentioned, don't know yet when he will start riding.

Mr G
07-19-2012, 07:59 PM
A few that interest me.

Race 1: #9 Voodoo Storm - an obvious player and likely to get a good pace to close into. Among the best closers in the field, got nothing to chase in a Gr3 last out, Shug suddenly a good turf trainer, 2nd off the layoff with a class drop.

Race 4: #5 Ode To Sami - a bit of a reach maybe as the #6 & #8 look tough. She was on a bad rail last out, strong worktab, consistent runner rarely throws a clunker, versatile runner can stalk or close, positive jock switch...8-1 ML

Race 7: #5 Bella Bandit - pure angle play...owner is Don Adam and he does well at Sar...12-1 ML. Also looking at #10 Living My Dream for Mike Maker. Can't see her going off anywhere near her 10-1 ML. Broke from the rail in her debut; a race where the speed ran 1-2 all the way around in a pretty fast race. Switch to Castellano, blinkers on, i'll take it.

Race 8: taking a look at #4 Crossbow, but Jackson Bend may just overwhelm this field, so get a nice price...like 9-1. This guy is getting some mention on the net so i fear he will be overbet, but McLaughlin is very good early in the meet, and this guy needed his last. Should be much sharper 2nd off the shelf...gets another class test today, and i'd prefer it if this race were only 6f, but if his barn has him ready like i think they do he can be very scary. Still may not beat JB though....this is his track and distance.

I like the reasons you give why you select the horses you do.....makes it all that much more interesting... thanks!

Itamaraca
07-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Terrible card of turf racing. A single playable race, IMO.

Race 7.

With a single exception, I don't want anything that's turfed before (in this country).

:3:, Gloat: dam has thrown 3 winners out of three starters, all of them on the turf. Never turfed/routed before but she doesn't have much to beat in here.

:7:, Lily the Pink: some decent turf races; needed her last time. Can't begin to imagine the number of ways Alvarado can get her beat tomorrow.

:1:, Lanett Lady: Clement/Leparoux, 1st start in the U.S. and stretching out. Gotta use Clement typically; but especially in a weak race like this.

PhantomOnTour
07-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Race 1:
getting the price on want on my top pick #9, but he's only 2-15 lifetime.
Still using but scaling the bet down a bit...playing under the 5-6 and over many, win bets on the 5 & 9.
Some in here are just plain winners, like the 2 and 8, but i will try to beat em.
Trusting leparoux...again....good lord

PhantomOnTour
07-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Saved my ass with a win bet on that #5 in R1...wow, a $23 profit...i quit!

RACE 2:
#10 Kibosh is a wire to wire threat at 10-1...needed her last and ran evenly in a decent race, stretches today with a hustling jock up, although Cohen is nothing special on turf. Lead is hers if her jock gets her out of the gate.

PhantomOnTour
07-20-2012, 01:43 PM

RACE 2:
#10 Kibosh is a wire to wire threat at 10-1...needed her last and ran evenly in a decent race, stretches today with a hustling jock up, although Cohen is nothing special on turf. Lead is hers if her jock gets her out of the gate.
Okay...not exactly wire to wire (which is the route the winner took) and not exactly a win, but if you hooked her up with the chalk you hit a nice ex....went off at an overlaid 10-1

KidCapper
07-20-2012, 01:47 PM

RACE 2:

Good call on the :10: PhantomOnTour.

Good luck the rest of the way!

PhantomOnTour
07-20-2012, 02:02 PM
No bet, but watching the babies closely for the future.
FWIW i think the 7 and 8 are overlays.

#7 - dam is a producer, steady (but not fast) works, barn LOVES Saratoga
#8 - trainer alone is reason to consider, shipped in in time for a work over the track

PhantomOnTour
07-20-2012, 02:18 PM
45-1 odds on #1 Expression !!??
Really ?
She's as fast as anyone in this field except Book Review...good closer too. Two time winning jock back up today.
Hmmmm...

PhantomOnTour
07-20-2012, 02:33 PM
I will play a 6-1 ex and a just in case win bet on the 1 in R4 at Sar.

The ex with my original choice (#5) under the 6 is just too low and not worth the bet. The above wager is the only value i see here, unless you think Ullapool will go all the way, which i don't.

Good luck

Tom
07-20-2012, 02:35 PM
I'm using the :1: in here.......sorry if I jinx you!

PhantomOnTour
07-20-2012, 02:43 PM
Booooooo on that #1 :ThmbDown:

PhantomOnTour
07-20-2012, 03:08 PM
No bet on the babies, but i see Castellano is riding for Zito instead of Pletcher here. He is the barn's main guy with Johnny V out...makes me take a second look at the Zito filly.
He's not much of a debut trainer, but has been known to get a few at Sar.

Mr G
07-20-2012, 03:11 PM
Race 5

$20 to win on #3...Distortion

$ 4.00 exacta wheel..ALL-3 = $24.00

$2.00 Tri..

2 with ALL with 3 = $10.00

ALL with 2 with 3 = $10.00

PhantomOnTour
07-20-2012, 03:18 PM
Javier Castellano must have a death wish...that Zito filly was a handful to say the least :D

Mr G
07-20-2012, 03:19 PM
# 3 ended up in the grandstand I think :)
1 of only 2 bets for the day and this one is a losing one.

Only other bet I have planned for the afternoon is $100.00 to SHOW on #3, Destiny's Song in the 10th. Should go off 10-1 or higher.

PhantomOnTour
07-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Nice betting race...like #4 Tapanna with Rosie up and #7.

EX:
4-7 w 4-5-6-7-8
WIN: 4-8

PhantomOnTour
07-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Nice betting race...like #4 Tapanna with Rosie up and #7.

EX:
4-7 w 4-5-6-7-8
WIN: 4-8
Thought a horse named Tapanna was a lock with Anna Rose Napravnik up...guess not. She had her head cocked the whole way around....thought i was in for a moment.
Oh well, there's more fish in the sea.
And #8 was too late to save me with a win bet i had.

Mr G
07-20-2012, 03:58 PM
I love Irad Ortiz on bombs but have to admit I totally over-looked him in the 6th :confused:

#10 Presumptive $75.70....$25.00.....$14.20

Beachbabe
07-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Late pick 4:

:2: :6: :8:
:7:
:5: :7:
:4: :5: :7:

$9.00 for .50
Goin' slow, early in the meet.

Good luck, all.

PhantomOnTour
07-20-2012, 04:22 PM
My two choices scratched...small bet on #11.
Trying to beat Clement here

Mr G
07-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Late pick 4:

:2: :6: :8:
:5: :7:
:4: :5: :7:

$9.00 for .50
Goin' slow, early in the meet.

Good luck, all.

1 down...3 to go...Good luck!

Mr G
07-20-2012, 04:39 PM
I'm trying to get a jockey angle going...for example a Castellano, Ramon, I. Ortiz rolling double...in addition to my regular wagers.

You would think after 40 some years playing this game I would stick to my game plan...Irad Ortiz brings home the bomb 10 horse in the 6th ($75.50) and Ramon just brings home the 2 in the 7th ( $8.20) and the $2.00...10-2 Double paid $ 385.00

Playing my two races regular wagers ( first one lost ) but didn't play the rolling doubles with Javier, Ramon and Irad Oritiz :(

Beachbabe
07-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Good ole Dickey D. does it again with a horse who's only race on dirt was a 6th place finish.
Can't wait till he starts his 10 yr suspension.

Mr G
07-20-2012, 05:02 PM
Good ole Dickey D. does it again with a horse who's only race on dirt was a 6th place finish.

lol....

Robert Fischer
07-20-2012, 05:30 PM
r9 looks wide open

Robert Fischer
07-20-2012, 05:33 PM

man that exacta came up too light

Mr G
07-20-2012, 06:01 PM
I picked the 3 here as my bomb ( to show ) but the more as we get closer to post time ( 4 MTP ) the 9 at currently 9-1 is starting to look a bit appealing....sticking with my 3 to show though...currently 26-1.

But would not be surprised if the 9 hits the board and adds value to the exotics.

Mr G
07-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Opening Day and I'm down -$164.00 for the day ( bet 2 races )

Hope others here had a better day!