PDA

View Full Version : Monitor aspect ratio

Actor
07-19-2012, 10:47 AM
My monitor is acting flakey and I'm afraid I'm going to have to replace it soon.

It has an aspect ratio of 4:3. All the new monitors seem to be 16:9. That wouldn't bother me except for one thing. I watch DVDs on my computer and the software seems to expect a 4:3 ratio. That means the picture on DVDs will be distorted and I hate that.

This is not a problem when I watch DVDs on my 16:9 TV because I can set the aspect ratio to 4:3 if I have to, plus there is a setting on my Blu-Ray player that tells it that the TV is 16:9.

I've asked techs at Staples and Best Buy and they say that all monitors are 16:9 with no way to adjust the ratio the way I can on my TV.

Are there any monitors on the market with adjustable aspect ratio (i.e., are the tech wrong?) or, alternately, can I upgrade DVD player software to handle the problem?

Dave Schwartz
07-19-2012, 12:14 PM
16:9 is normal for DVDs.

Not sure why you would think 4:3 was normal but the adjustment is the other way around.

judd
07-20-2012, 07:47 AM
newegg.com

Red Knave
07-20-2012, 09:25 AM
I've asked techs at Staples and Best Buy and they say that all monitors are 16:9 with no way to adjust the ratio the way I can on my TV.

Whatever encoding the DVD has should be the one displayed on your monitor. Any new monitor will have the resolution to display whatever the computer is sending it. So if you are seeing it in 16:9 then that's how it was encoded. At 4:3 it just won't fill the entire screen.
I assume you are using a Windows computer? I think there is still a bug in Media Player that doesn't allow re-setting the aspect ratio for DVD playback. If so, there is a lot of media player software out there for free, like this excellent one http://www.videolan.org/

Actor
07-20-2012, 03:29 PM
16:9 is normal for DVDs.Maybe for recent DVDs and Blu-Rays but my DVDs are 4:3 on my old TVs and my computer.

Not sure why you would think 4:3 was normal but the adjustment is the other way around.Because when I hit the "zoom" button repeatedly on my TV's remote it cycles through WIDE, ZOOM, CINEMA and NORMAL. The aspect ratios are WIDE = 16:9, ZOOM = 16:9 with the top and bottom cropped off, CINEMA = 16:9 with the sides cropped off, and NORMAL = 4:3 with black bars on the sides.

Most letterboxed movies play correctly on WIDE = 16:9 with small black bars top and bottom (small than on 4:3). Older movies such as Gone With the Wind and most Stanley Kubrick movies play correctly on NORMAL = 4:3.

Dave Schwartz
07-20-2012, 03:31 PM
Yes, the key is "older movies."

Modern DVDs are all wide.

BTW, I was surprised to find that they have not made an HD DVD in years.

Actor
07-21-2012, 05:31 PM
BTW, I was surprised to find that they have not made an HD DVD in years.Yes. HD DVD joined BetaMax in "superior technology that failed in the marketplace" heaven.

badcompany
07-22-2012, 09:34 PM
newegg.com

Newegg has been my go to place for tech stuff. Have nothing but good things to say. :ThmbUp:

Capper Al
07-23-2012, 06:04 AM
I find it difficult nowadays to handicap with just one monitor. I have two monitors now and am thinking about going with three with my next PC.