PDA

View Full Version : Joe Bongiorno

badcompany
07-18-2012, 11:13 PM
He's an 18 year old driving up here in Saratoga. I don't think I've ever seen a driver so good at such a young age. If there's still a sport in ten years, I predict he will be one of the top drivers.

LottaKash
07-18-2012, 11:44 PM
He's an 18 year old driving up here in Saratoga. I don't think I've ever seen a driver so good at such a young age. If there's still a sport in ten years, I predict he will be one of the top drivers.

You just might be right about this guy BC....

He does have a way of rousing them late in a race, but imo, he is still learning about getting them away quickly enough, and then rating them well enough to get his drives into a contending position by the top of the lane....

He could turn out to be sumpin in the very near future....He surprises me sometimes with his successful driving decisions, and as a result, I am always watching him...

Charlie
07-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Joe has certainly been doing very well, but I do remember an 18 year old driiver that perfromed just as well back in the good old days of Rockingham Park. He went on to have an awesome career and in fact, now at the age of 70 still holds his own with the younger colony at Plainridge. I am sure that anyone that frequented the Rock in their glory days will remember him. That being John Hogan.

Oskar
07-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Joe has certainly been doing very well, but I do remember an 18 year old driiver that perfromed just as well back in the good old days of Rockingham Park. He went on to have an awesome career and in fact, now at the age of 70 still holds his own with the younger colony at Plainridge. I am sure that anyone that frequented the Rock in their glory days will remember him. That being John Hogan.

When O'Donnell started driving in New England, prior to going to Saratoga, it took him a little while to live up to his self-confidence, but from that point on....

When The Big M opened and took drivers like Ted Wing, Jim Doherty and
Billy O out of New England it left a gaping hole in the landscape.

camluck49
07-19-2012, 11:04 AM
I like to bet him at FH. My buds at the track nicknamed him the Italian Stallion.

Ray2000
07-19-2012, 12:10 PM
I think it's interesting that when looking over the "Rising Star" list the Driver Weight factor seems to be coming into play more than in past years. I wonder if this is related to today's races favoring speed and more importantly, acceleration. In the olden days, driver weights weren't considered as important unless greater than 165 lbs or on muddy tracks.

Driver Weight Age
Bolon, Kyle 125 24
Bongiorno, Joe 130 19
Davies, Paul B 135 23
Davis, Billy J Jr 145 26
Kakaley, Matt 130 24
Landy, Harry 135 20
Larose, Claude 120 23
Mcnair, Douglas R 135 23
Miller, Marcus 165 23
Moore, Tyler 165 21
Short, Adam 125 25
Smith, Tyler 128 19
St Louis, Marc Jr. 155 24
Stratton, Jordan 168 25
Teague, Montrell 135 21
Tetrick, Trace 145 26
Zeron, Scott R 141 23

Oskar
07-19-2012, 02:32 PM
In 1960 Hairos II won the mile and a quarter International with 6-2, 285 pound Willem Geersen sitting behind him.

Sea Biscuit
07-19-2012, 09:37 PM
There are quite a few articles on the standardbred site praising this up and coming kid

http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/search/node/bongiorno

Mailman
07-20-2012, 12:54 AM
Gee Charlie, I did not realise Hogan was that old. I remember his father driving , Joe i believe, at Foxboro. I use to love going there!

Charlie
07-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Mailman .... Hogan is either 69 or 70. Oh how the years fly by. His father's name was James. The program always listed him as Ja Hogan and John as Jo Hogan. How I miss those early days at Rockingham. Back then, the crowds were huge and the track was beautiful. Sad, but those days will never return.

wilderness
07-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Hogan named 'Iron Man'
Sunday, June 22, 2008 - by Jack Ginnetti

Marlborough, MA --- John 'Jack' Hogan, one of New England's most highly regarded horsemen, has been named the recipient of the ninth annual 'Iron Man' award given by the New England Chapter of U.S. Harness Writers.

The popular reinsman, who gained notoriety as a driver-trainer-owner for some 50 years, ranked 91st among North American drivers at the end of 2007 with 4,364 career wins, and he's added to that with 22 victories already this season at Plainridge Racecourse.

A native of Marlborough, Mass., Hogan gained fame early in his career by scoring numerous victories with claiming horses under the care of his late father, James Hogan. Both are members of the New England Harness Writers Hall of Fame. Jack is also a member of the Plainridge 'Wall of Fame.'

He also won many driving titles at Foxboro Raceway, where he was a fan favorite in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s. He made numerous appearances at Hinsdale Racway, Rockingham Park, Scarborough Downs and Lewiston Raceway. He spent several years racing at Pompano Park in Florida before returning to his home state.

Robert Temple, vice-president of the New England chapter, who worked at Foxboro during Hogan's 'prime time' years, terms him "the most consistent driver ever to race the New England circuit."

Past recipients of the award, which is not based on career wins but rather on longevity in the sport and sound character, include Orrin Phipps (2000); Dave Cochrane (2001); Bob Tisbert (2002); Winston Campbell Sr. (2003); Leonard LeBlanc (2004); Elmer Smith (2005); Robert Lieberman (2006); and William Pillsbury (2007).

I remember the 'grind it out' style the Hogans put into the sport during their many van trips to racetracks from their Berlin Road farm in Marlborough which produced many trips to the winner's circle. Jack was a natural as a driver and a fierce competitor.

Hogan, 64, resides with his wife, Marilyn, in Argyle, N.Y.

He will receive the award at the chapter's 30th Hall of Fame awards program on August 23 at Rockingham Park in Salem, N.H.
==========
==========

Jim Hogan to be rememberd at Rockingham Park
July 11, 2003
-- by Jack Ginnetti, president, the New England Chapter of the U.S. Harness Writer’s Association

Marlborough, MA --- Nine years ago this month, harness racing lost the finest driver-trainer to come from these parts, James R. Hogan.

This Saturday at Rockingham Park, family and friends will gather for the James Hogan Memorial, on of a series of Saturday races named after greats who raced regularly at “the Rock” during the 50s, 60s, and 70s.

A 1937 graduate of Marlborough (Mass.) High School, Hogan's harness racing career spanned 50 years. He trained most of his horses at his Berlin Road farm, which had a small training track and a barn on the property, and at the Marlboro Trotting Park. Located on Maple Street in Marlborough.

Hogan's theory on racing horses was simple: Keep a stable only has big as you can handle.

With lots of help with the horse chores from his wife, Marge, the Hogans raised five children, including their sons, John and James, and their daughters, Kathy, Mary Lou Quealy, and Carol LaFleur.

John Hogan followed in his dad's footsteps and is one of harness racing’s winningest drivers and is currently among the top trainers and drivers at Plainridge Racecourse.

Always a gentleman, Jim Hogan once said to this writer, "If I had all the money in the world this is what I'd do.”

Jim practiced what he preached and no one did it better.

wilderness
07-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Mailman .... How I miss those early days at Rockingham. Back then, the crowds were huge and the track was beautiful. Sad, but those days will never return.

from Aug 13, 1980 Harness Horse:

Rockingham Park's multi-million dollar four-story grandsatnd is reduced to ashes in an early-morning fire on Tuesday, July 29. The clubhouse next to the wooden stands was not extensively damaged. An immediate replacement estimate could not be made by a track spokesman, who placed the damage to betting terminals and computer equipment alone at $3 million. Them were no injuries to horses or track personnel. Plans to resume racing quickly, which were advanced even while the grandstand was still smoldering have been abandoned, and there will be no racing until next year. A harness meet was scheduled for this fall.

wilderness
07-20-2012, 04:23 PM

Joe's mom (Barbra) is the daughter of Sonny Dancer.

Believe this makes Joe a 5th or 6th generation horseman.

badcompany
07-20-2012, 06:00 PM
Joe's mom (Barbra) is the daughter of Sonny Dancer.

Believe this makes Joe a 5th or 6th generation horseman.

I've noticed she owns some of the horses he drives. So, I, figured he was from a racing family.

Oskar
07-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Mailman .... Hogan is either 69 or 70. Oh how the years fly by. His father's name was James. The program always listed him as Ja Hogan and John as Jo Hogan. How I miss those early days at Rockingham. Back then, the crowds were huge and the track was beautiful. Sad, but those days will never return.

Some of the most influential people in the sport, on a national level, came out of that area….. Ed Keller, who did everything associated with the sport all over NA, was from Western Mass…… Jim Lynch, the man who made Liberty Bell into a great track, was from Abington, Ma. He and Al Thomas were best friends……Ralph Grasso was an outstanding harness racing journalist….Bruce Stearns, Mr everything at Rockingham, has been dead for more than a decade……Bucky Day passed more than twenty-five years ago…..Is Leigh Fitch still driving horses?

Mazerati
07-21-2012, 09:10 AM

lol there will be a sport...despite year after year of tracks complaining they aren't making any money how many tracks have closed in the last 10 years?

Charlie
07-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Wilderness ... Thanks for the info concerning John Hogan. He has had an awesome career and has always been my favorite driver. Another little tidbit about him is this. A few years back while Rockinhgam was racing on their one mile track, they conducted a few turf races and Hogan will be listed as the first driver to bring home a winner on that surface. I believe the horse paid $14.00. And really, his career at the Rock was great, so who better to bring home the first winner on their turf course.

wilderness
07-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Your very welcome Charlie.

Those were just saved Press releases originally from the USTA (I'm sure Jack Ginnetti and the Eastern USHWA will appreciate the delayed "hawking")

Initially, other orgs PR's are submitted to the USTA and then after a while, the other orgs PR's are simply removed from the active website. No idea what their rotation criteria is.

The Oceanic site (harnesslink) duplicates a lot of the USTA PR's, however not all of it.

badcompany
07-21-2012, 03:18 PM
lol there will be a sport...despite year after year of tracks complaining they aren't making any money how many tracks have closed in the last 10 years?

Were it not for the Slots Santa Claus, all of the tracks in NY would be closed. It's hard to believe this gravy train will last forever.

I don't see how anyone could bet serious money on what's running at these tracks. Up here in Toga it's all cheap trotters that break on the lead for no reason, 5k claimers and nw1 in which all the horses have 10+ starts.

wilderness
07-21-2012, 03:30 PM
nw1 in which all the horses have 10+ starts.

many of the B tracks in Ontario are the same way for NW's.

The old Tom Ainslie quote seems most appropriate when handicapping these types:

"Once a bridesmaid, never a bride"

badcompany
07-22-2012, 11:11 AM
many of the B tracks in Ontario are the same way for NW's.

The old Tom Ainslie quote seems most appropriate when handicapping these types:

"Once a bridesmaid, never a bride"

When an 0 for 20 horse is a 3/5 favorite, you know you're not dealing with a quality product. :lol:

badcompany
12-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Pretty impressive drive 3rd race, Sat, at the BigM to bring in a $44 horse. Rated the front end nicely and held off Tetrick who had the pocket with the favorite.

badcompany
01-29-2013, 08:35 PM
Another impressive drive at Yonkers, popping with a $23 horse.

He got to the top easily from the 6 hole, not easy to do, especially in the slop. One of the favs retook, then was passed by Sears who went 1st over with the other fav.

Looked like Sears was home, but Bongiorno pulled three wide at the top of the stretch and mowed him down.

no breathalyzer
11-21-2015, 11:47 PM
I don't have an account on that harness shithole site so i will post here. Someone must of sat down with this kid hes driving much better and i'm going to be watching and cashing on him.. don't even look like the same guy in the bike lately. better hands and doesn't rock like a fool in the bike anymore
DH in a half a mill. race tonight at MED

Postime
11-22-2015, 11:07 AM

I can think of 2 in Chicago that's closing real soon, but that's the subject of a whole different thread. :lol:

cmp92
11-22-2015, 01:09 PM
I don't have an account on that harness shithole site so i will post here. Someone must of sat down with this kid hes driving much better and i'm going to be watching and cashing on him.. don't even look like the same guy in the bike lately. better hands and doesn't rock like a fool in the bike anymore
He's getting lots of Burke horses too. I've noticed he's been winning at Harrah's, too.

baconswitchfarm
11-22-2015, 02:53 PM

If you had a sister who loved you enough you could get those drives. :lol:

no breathalyzer
11-22-2015, 08:58 PM
gas does help.. but still improved from his former self

robman65
11-30-2015, 03:52 AM
Ive seen many drivers get their start and sorry to burst your bubble but Joe Bongiorno is going to have to do plenty of improving to be one of the better drivers. Ive seen the starts of great drivers such as Anthony Morgan, Dave Magee, Tim Tetrick and even Walter Case Jr. and it was quite evident that they were all going to have successful careers. Joe Bongiorno, in my opinion, is not one of those guys. He still makes the same mistakes at 22 years of age that he did when he started. Ive seen this kid blow more drives and get more horses parked out than any other young driver. He bounces in the bike and the horses simply dont respond most of the time. Sure he will improve in time, but he will not be one of the greats. His sister is cute tho :D

MonmouthParkJoe
11-30-2015, 10:34 AM
Ive seen many drivers get their start and sorry to burst your bubble but Joe Bongiorno is going to have to do plenty of improving to be one of the better drivers. Ive seen the starts of great drivers such as Anthony Morgan, Dave Magee, Tim Tetrick and even Walter Case Jr. and it was quite evident that they were all going to have successful careers. Joe Bongiorno, in my opinion, is not one of those guys. He still makes the same mistakes at 22 years of age that he did when he started. Ive seen this kid blow more drives and get more horses parked out than any other young driver. He bounces in the bike and the horses simply dont respond most of the time. Sure he will improve in time, but he will not be one of the greats. His sister is cute tho :D

Couldnt agree more with this. I wouldnt bet this guy with someone else's money. Ive watched this guy at the big m the last couple years. Horrendous drives, and gets lucky every now and then, as most drivers do. I honestly believe he gets the drives he does because of who his family is. Esp at the meadowlands, I view him as a toss out almost all the time.

robman65
11-30-2015, 12:17 PM
Couldnt agree more with this. I wouldnt bet this guy with someone else's money. Ive watched this guy at the big m the last couple years. Horrendous drives, and gets lucky every now and then, as most drivers do. I honestly believe he gets the drives he does because of who his family is. Esp at the meadowlands, I view him as a toss out almost all the time.
Finally someone who seems to know their drivers. He is a toss out in my book as well. I feel more comfortable betting on Vinnie Ginsburg. Same age as Joe B but much more talent. Much better w getting horses to race early.

MonmouthParkJoe
12-03-2015, 10:19 AM
Finally someone who seems to know their drivers. He is a toss out in my book as well. I feel more comfortable betting on Vinnie Ginsburg. Same age as Joe B but much more talent. Much better w getting horses to race early.

Im glad you mentioned Ginsburg because that is exactly who I had in mind when I was writing my previous post. He gets some decent horses from his uncles. When you look at the driver colony all of the top drivers usually drive first call for big stables like Burke, Takter, ect. Why bet on this kid when you got people like Tetrick, Gingras, Miller, ect. If the big guys are out of town Bongiorno might get some decent drives, but even then people like Marcus Miller and Brett Miller come in and are worth playing. He is still young and who knows, but as of right now, ill pass

bello
12-03-2015, 12:56 PM
My only problem with Vinny Ginsburg is his name

Maybe Joey Bongiorno needs to change his name to Chaim Bongiorno

PaceAdvantage
12-04-2015, 03:12 AM
My only problem with Vinny Ginsburg is his name

Maybe Joey Bongiorno needs to change his name to Chaim BongiornoWTF?

bello
12-04-2015, 09:40 AM
WTF?

Just an attempt at humor PA.

Ginsburg is a very jewish name. Jews typically do not name their children after Saints so Vinny Ginsburg would be as rare as say Patrick Finkelstein.

So finding a Vinnie Ginsburg would be as unusual as finding someone with a very italian last name like Bongiorno with a very Jewish first name like Chaim.

Jokes are never very good when you either have to
1. Explain them or
2. Are not very funny in the first place

This one likely has a bit of both.

LottaKash
12-04-2015, 11:56 AM
Just an attempt at humor PA.

Ginsburg is a very jewish name. Jews typically do not name their children after Saints so Vinny Ginsburg would be as rare as say Patrick Finkelstein.

So finding a Vinnie Ginsburg would be as unusual as finding someone with a very italian last name like Bongiorno with a very Jewish first name like Chaim.

Jokes are never very good when you either have to
1. Explain them or
2. Are not very funny in the first place

This one likely has a bit of both.

Bello, yesterday, when you made that joke, I got it!...Wasn't that great, but I got it all the same... :D

Most people wouldn't have, I don't think, tho.... :confused: