PDA

View Full Version : Delmar Opening Day

Tom
07-18-2012, 02:22 PM
R1 :6:,:4:
R3 :2:,:5:

bigmack
07-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Good luck with the nags out here, Tommy.

I'm going to try my hand on some freight. Lookin' to close on the 4.

She can leave her hat on.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/49.jpg

Tom
07-18-2012, 07:23 PM
Right where I left off last year! :rolleyes:

Tom
07-18-2012, 07:55 PM
R6 :4:,:8:

Tom
07-18-2012, 08:10 PM
Good night, Irene!
Gonna be a long summer......loooooooong one.

Tom
07-18-2012, 08:38 PM
R7 :9: :8: :12:

Exotic1
07-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Good luck with the nags out here, Tommy.

I'm going to try my hand on some freight. Lookin' to close on the 4.

She can leave her hat on.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/49.jpg

--------------
Hilarious !!!

Tom
07-18-2012, 10:35 PM
R7 :9: :8: :12:

Hachee wawa!

nijinski
07-18-2012, 11:55 PM
Was a bit of an unfortunate opening day .

Holy Candy . pulled up ,vanned off , turf .

Valkyrie Missile ,pulled up vanned off poly .

Saratoga Yankee pulled up , vanned off. poly

Playful Council , brokedown , vanned off , euthanized . poly .

Some bad steps and bad luck for these horses. Hopefully it gets better.

RIP Playful Council . :( He was a 2yo grandson of Seattle Slew owned by Mickey and Karen Taylor .

bigmack
07-19-2012, 12:22 AM
It's like sawdust out there.

senortout
07-19-2012, 02:24 AM
Thought it was just me. That was the worst display of all thats wrong with racing. Inviting horses to ship in and giving the shippers a grand to do so, plus more of a cut of the purse than they are entitled to as well. The horses, majority of them I'd say from checking the workouts, were not prepped for the surface(s) they were asked to run on. Favorites went bad as mentioned. I don't know how but I kept my finances intact.

Some frantic work is being done as we sleep, I'd hope!

Of the two 'boutique' meets starting this week, this is the one that has little to offer in as far as an upgrade in racing stock. Guaranteed. The split feature opening day was supposed to (traditionally) card the better field as the second of the two....there was SO LITTLE TALENT THERE.

i am not that much a fan of NY racing either, but at least they will have some fit and ready animals on the grounds, some of whom have already had a go around even. And the track will not be all that much different in composition from Belmont, or even Aqueduct. Having said all that, I am not objecting to a well-maintained artificial strip, but maybe this ain't it. I suppose we'll have to give em a pass on the turf course at Del Mar, for now. Some carnage for sure, lets fix that shall we?

sammy the sage
07-19-2012, 07:33 AM
It's like sawdust out there.

I should think THE 4 balked at THE gate... :lol:

lamboguy
07-19-2012, 07:39 AM
they all put on a better display than Rafael Bejarano did losing his irons for me right out of the gate in the last race yesterday!

Grits
07-19-2012, 09:02 AM
Sad, really sad and unfortunate.

RIP Playful Council . :( He was a 2yo grandson of Seattle Slew owned by Mickey and Karen Taylor .

Tom
07-19-2012, 09:17 AM
That is unbelievable. So much for the poly being safer crap we keep hearing.
I think my Delmar experience is coming to a rather quick end.

horses4courses
07-19-2012, 09:24 AM
I agree.
They should go back to dirt by next year.

IntotheMystic
07-19-2012, 10:29 AM

Very sad. I know Del Mar has obviously tried to make the track safer over the past couple years, but to me, it seems that the breakdowns are more common there than at other tracks.

I am not sure what they changed since last year, but it was pretty dusty yesterday and looked loose.

senortout
07-19-2012, 11:21 AM
Something about 'they are adding wax to the surface in increments'. In other words until the surface is right. Unfortunately they can't add it all at once for fear of applying more than needed. (wax can be added, but not removed)

'wax on, wax off'

senortout

IntotheMystic
07-19-2012, 11:33 AM
Something about 'they are adding wax to the surface in increments'. In other words until the surface is right. Unfortunately they can't add it all at once for fear of applying more than needed. (wax can be added, but not removed)

'wax on, wax off'

senortout

I wonder why they didn't have everything finished by opening day. I guess they would have if they could have, so must be some legit reason.

One is too many for horses having to take the sacrifice for having an unprepared race track. No matter how beautiful of a place it is.

Mr G
07-19-2012, 06:22 PM

I just saw this in the New York Post :(

3 hurt horses put down after Saratoga's open house

Three horses have been euthanized after suffering injuries during non-betting steeplechase races held at Saratoga Race Course's annual open house.

National Steeplechase Association Director of Racing Bill Gallo says the injuries occurred separately in each of the first three races during last weekend's 32nd-annual event.

Two of the horses sustained injuries while on flat ground, while the third was injured during a hurdle.

Despite the three deaths, Gallo says fatalities among steeplechase horses are uncommon.

Non-wagering steeplechase and flat course races have been part of the open house festivities for years. The New York Racing Association operates the track, along with Aqueduct and Belmont.

Saratoga holds steeplechase races on Thursdays during its annual summer meet.

The track's 144th thoroughbred racing season opens Friday.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/horse_racing/hurt_horses_put_down_after_saratoga_twhJsfDuNmP0Pc YJIpRYqM

nijinski
07-19-2012, 07:18 PM
I just saw this in the New York Post :(

3 hurt horses put down after Saratoga's open house

Three horses have been euthanized after suffering injuries during non-betting steeplechase races held at Saratoga Race Course's annual open house.

National Steeplechase Association Director of Racing Bill Gallo says the injuries occurred separately in each of the first three races during last weekend's 32nd-annual event.

Two of the horses sustained injuries while on flat ground, while the third was injured during a hurdle.

Despite the three deaths, Gallo says fatalities among steeplechase horses are uncommon.

Non-wagering steeplechase and flat course races have been part of the open house festivities for years. The New York Racing Association operates the track, along with Aqueduct and Belmont.

Saratoga holds steeplechase races on Thursdays during its annual summer meet.

The track's 144th thoroughbred racing season opens Friday.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/horse_racing/hurt_horses_put_down_after_saratoga_twhJsfDuNmP0Pc YJIpRYqM

This is sad :(