PDA

View Full Version : It's only a billion dollars....what's the big F'ing Deal?

Tom
07-18-2012, 12:48 PM
http://www.npr.org/2012/07/18/156956392/obama-proposes-1-billion-for-science-math-teachers

The administration will make $100 million available immediately out of an existing fund to incenticize top-performing teachers. Over the longer term, the White House said it plans to launch the program with $1 billion included in Obama's budget request for fiscal year 2013.

Hey, when you're already a bizzilion in the red, what's another billion or so?

Maybe we need to realize the existing teachers need a little help from the moron parents of the dummies they are breeding for additional welfare money.

Or maybe we just need to demand the existing union-boy teachers do their f'ing jobs for a change. And fire those who fail to do so.

That should free up a billion or two right there.

ArlJim78
07-18-2012, 01:03 PM
it's all our democrat/communists know how to do.

shower their supporters with money in order to appear to be "solving problems" for the middle class, kids, poor etc. the reality is they're only interested in maintaining power.

when things get worse as they inevitably do (when you're getting showered with money who really wants it to end?) shower them with even more money.

when someone comes along and complains that we can't afford this approach, that it doesn't work and that it breeds corruption they're labeled as either racist or selfish.

rinse and repeat.

they have zero interest in whether or not they are helping or hurting people or whether they destroy the country in the process.

iceknight
07-18-2012, 01:10 PM
http://www.npr.org/2012/07/18/156956392/obama-proposes-1-billion-for-science-math-teachers

Maybe we need to realize the existing teachers need a little help from the moron parents of the dummies they are breeding for additional welfare money.

Or maybe we just need to demand the existing union-boy teachers do their f'ing jobs for a change. And fire those who fail to do so.

That should free up a billion or two right there. Well, do you prefer more homegrown science and math talent to come out or do you prefer foreign invaders and outsourcing?

what is wrong with incentivising? Businesses get MASSIVE tax breaks and exemptions all the time right?
If the US needs to regain back the long term no 1 spot in Science, you have to start from ground up and retain good talent at teaching level. If the teachers end up going to the industry to work on software jobs now, then you wont get future talent coming out....

There are lot of people I know (from Science and Math fields) who would like to teach but prefer doing industry technical jobs mainly because teachers are not paid properly for the amount of time they put in overall and also having to fund their own science experiments for class etc.

Apart from the incentives, I think teachers also ought to be given more say in disciplining unruly students. back to the olden times!

ThinkingAlways
07-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Maybe they should start spending in on English, too: Incentivize is not a word. Yes, you may find it in the dictionary, but it is a made up word.

TJDave
07-18-2012, 01:23 PM
The Senator from Illinois agrees.

A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking about real money.
Everett Dirksen

Tom
07-18-2012, 01:31 PM
what is wrong with incentivising?

Then start incentivizing where it matters - the students and their parents.
Stop wasting billions of dollars serving students now three meals a day. LEt the GD parents freed them.

School should be a place to learn - period.
Not a f'ing diner for stupid kids whose parents are too lazy to feed them.
Start firing teachers who do not meet certain standards.
Start failing students who do not meet basic skills requirements.

Start demanding personal accountability.
And understand that we do not have a billion f'ing dollars.....period.

iceknight
07-18-2012, 01:56 PM
Maybe they should start spending in on English, too: Incentivize is not a word. Yes, you may find it in the dictionary, but it is a made up word. That was an OFF TOPIC REMARK.

Here is my sole response.
1) I was born after the first known use of the word (circa 1970). (Merriam Webster link) (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/incentivize).
2) Languages evolve, borrow words, new words are sometimes created etc.
Maybe you should have been teaching English to the entire planet. My self learning from the dictionary is not useful then!

iceknight
07-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Then start incentivizing where it matters - the students and their parents.
Stop wasting billions of dollars serving students now three meals a day. LEt the GD parents freed them.

School should be a place to learn - period.
Not a f'ing diner for stupid kids whose parents are too lazy to feed them.
Start firing teachers who do not meet certain standards.
Start failing students who do not meet basic skills requirements.

Start demanding personal accountability.
And understand that we do not have a billion f'ing dollars.....period. Actually agree with your constructive suggestions. See, that's what needs to be discussed more among legislators and people, than just stopping things. I think food for kids out of public money is just asking for misuse and corrpution (in contracts etc) too.

And it should be fine to fire teachers who dont meet standards- Absolutely. But they should also be given sometime to prove their work.

boxcar
07-18-2012, 02:32 PM
That was an OFF TOPIC REMARK.

Here is my sole response.
1) I was born after the first known use of the word (circa 1970). (Merriam Webster link) (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/incentivize).
2) Languages evolve, borrow words, new words are sometimes created etc.
Maybe you should have been teaching English to the entire planet. My self learning from the dictionary is not useful then!

Yup, the word is in my Funk 'n' Wagnall, too. Therefore, it's officially a word. :)

Boxcar

Saratoga_Mike
07-18-2012, 02:34 PM

That should free up a billion or two right there.

Pay for performance is a very conservative concept. If the monies went from the poor performers to the top teachers, then this would be great idea. But I guess these monies are incremental, not a transfer from the worst to the best.

Tom
07-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Historically, poor teachers are protected by the union.
It is never about the lids, just the teachers.

How about another conservative idea - penalty for failure?
You don't graduate, you are not eligible for welfare.
You have to go to a work camp or other such deal if you need food.