PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite all-time Horse Racing movie?

BetPTC
07-18-2012, 11:09 AM
What is your favorite all-time Horse Racing movie? If it's the classic LET IT RIDE starring Richard Dreyfus, Teri Garr, and Jennifer Tilly, then this deal is for you!

Join BetPTC.com today. Enter promo code "Pace-LIR," wager $350 or more within 21 days of registration and you will receive not only a $75 cash signup bonus but also this rare DVD.

But that's not all. Members of ADW Premier Turf Club can take advantage of a strong 11% cash back rate on Ellis Park exotic wagers through the entire month of July. It was set to end last Sunday but has been extended until the end of the month.

We have sweetened the pot by offering an awesome 7% rate on Del Mar exotic wagers beginning opening day, July 18, until July 31. The Del Mar offer covers everything except the Pick-5 bet.

Take advantage of these fabulous real cash rewards (not points), and get a $75 sign-up bonus + the LET IT RIDE movie on DVD.

Did we mention FREE online video? High quality video that doesn't buffer. We've got it.

Join www.betptc.com today and enter promo code "Pace-LIR."

Membership is, unfortunately, not available in all states. Restricted states include CA, IL, NV, NJ and TX. U.S. residents only.

Tom
07-18-2012, 11:47 AM
A day at the Races, the Marx Brothers.

cnollfan
07-18-2012, 11:56 AM
A Little Romance.

burnsy
07-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Let It Ride.......is my favorite. This is funny because i just put my copy in the player. I watch this movie every year right before the Saratoga meet starts....i figure i have to laugh a little now.....because a few weeks from now i could be crying....my blood has too much iron....can't even give it away, let alone sell it for bankroll. :lol:

IntotheMystic
07-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Let it Ride!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5GVfNcivS8&feature=related

thaskalos
07-18-2012, 02:25 PM
Rodney Dangerfield's Easy Money.

Figaro
07-18-2012, 02:40 PM
I'm like everyone else and really enjoy "Let It Ride" as well. Although, not really a horse racing movie, I really liked Robert Altman's 1974 gambling movie "California Split" especially the scene at the race track. :ThmbUp:

BlueShoe
07-18-2012, 02:42 PM
This has been a popular topic on PA in the past, so am repeating myself, but once again, The Killing (1956) is tops. Not strictly a racing movie, but first rate film noir that has a bit of a cult following. Of films of a more racing nature, have always liked Wall of Noise (1963) for it's realism. Few have heard of or have viewed this film, it is rather obscure. Have never seen Let it Ride, with all the good comments must do so some day.

DJofSD
07-18-2012, 03:15 PM
This has been a popular topic on PA in the past, so am repeating myself, but once again, The Killing (1956) is tops. Not strictly a racing movie, but first rate film noir that has a bit of a cult following. Of films of a more racing nature, have always liked Wall of Noise (1963) for it's realism. Few have heard of or have viewed this film, it is rather obscure. Have never seen Let it Ride, with all the good comments must do so some day.
Do you mean this (http://shop.tcm.com/killing-blu-ray/detail.php?p=347490&ecid=PRF-TCM-100188&pa=PRF-TCM-100188) movie?

mistergee
07-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Tear Jerker---The Champ-----Boxing and horse racing with a Hialeah Race Course backdrop

gfnut
07-18-2012, 03:26 PM
Phar Lap

misscashalot
07-18-2012, 03:43 PM
What is your favorite all-time Horse Racing movie? If it's the classic LET IT RIDE starring Richard Dreyfus, Teri Garr, and Jennifer Tilly, then this deal is for you!

Join BetPTC.com today. Enter promo code "Pace-LIR," wager $350 or more within 21 days of registration and you will receive not only a $75 cash signup bonus but also this rare DVD.
.....[/I]

http://movies.netflix.com/WiSearch?raw_query=let+it+ride&ac_category_type=none&ac_rel_posn=-1&ac_abs_posn=-1&v1=let+it+ride&search_submit=

arno
07-18-2012, 06:02 PM
Ben Hur got me started on harness racing

cj
07-18-2012, 06:08 PM
If I want to laugh, The Longshot with Let It Ride a close 2nd.

GaryG
07-18-2012, 06:46 PM
Hot to Trot with Bobcat

Shemp Howard
07-18-2012, 08:13 PM

Hey, boss! C'mere! Sun-Up is the worst horse on the track!

I notice he wins all the time.

Aw, just because he comes in first.

Well, I don't want 'em any better than first.

Bill Cullen
07-18-2012, 08:17 PM
Are there any good horse racing novels that capture the full scope of the industry? From handicapping discussions to the the darkening of form by claiming trainers?

The best racing movie, in my humble opinion, is "Let It Ride."
It captures the psychology of the crowd, the hopes and dreams of the patrons, has some sub-plots that are proportional to the importance of the subject, and tells a nicely-crafted story in 89 minutes.

As good as it gets!

Bill C

Maximillion
07-18-2012, 08:46 PM
The Killing

Its more of a backdrop for the story, but old movie was WAY ahead of its time.

Beachbabe
07-18-2012, 09:51 PM
Casey's Shadow

Longshot
07-18-2012, 10:03 PM
I'll agree with Casey's Shadow but I watch Boots Malone every time
I see that it's on.

VastinMT
07-18-2012, 10:51 PM
Let It Ride.

Though I am fond of California Split.

. . . and what about the racing portions of The Grifters, with Angelica Huston visiting tracks to make huge bets to change the track odds bet for her boss.

mountainman
07-18-2012, 11:29 PM
Boots Malone. Not even close.

Maximillion
07-18-2012, 11:41 PM
If we are just talking "scenes" there are a couple in Pope of Greenwich Village that are classics...

thaskalos
07-18-2012, 11:45 PM
If we are just talking "scenes" there are a couple in Pope of Greenwich Village that are classics...

Great movie! :ThmbUp:

DJofSD
07-18-2012, 11:50 PM
Are there any good horse racing novels that capture the full scope of the industry? From handicapping discussions to the the darkening of form by claiming trainers?

Not really well versed in the genre, but I thought all of Bill Murray's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Murray_%28writer%29) stories did a good job of capturing the atmosphere and characters.

BlueShoe
07-19-2012, 10:01 AM
The Killing

A then very young Stanley Kubrick was one of the first directors to effectively use non linear narrative in this film, that is, jumping back and then ahead in the time sequence, over and over. In this film we see the scene of the horses coming on the track several times, then cutting to what each character was doing at the time.

MaTH716
07-19-2012, 10:06 AM
The Longshot with Tim Conway. It's absolutely hysterical.

Overlay
07-19-2012, 10:44 AM
For telling a true story: Secretariat (although I still chuckle every time I think of casting John Malkovich as Lucien Laurin)

For entertainment value (especially from a handicapping perspective): Let It Ride

DJofSD
07-19-2012, 10:51 AM
For telling a true story: Secretariat (although I still chuckle every time I think of casting John Malkovich as Lucien Laurin)
[/I]

Really?

I recall reading some reviews when it was first released. There was some complaints it was not very accurate and certain key facts had been altered to tell a better story. I don't know if the changes were significant or not. So, perhaps it is more accurate to say based on a true story?

ArlJim78
07-19-2012, 11:15 AM
I was going to say the same thing. Hilarious stuff in that one. Love that movie.

Of course The Sting is another great one with a horse racing motif.

Overlay
07-19-2012, 11:33 AM
Really?

I recall reading some reviews when it was first released. There was some complaints it was not very accurate and certain key facts had been altered to tell a better story. I don't know if the changes were significant or not. So, perhaps it is more accurate to say based on a true story?
When I said "true story", I was using the term to differentiate the movie from a work of pure fiction, and did not mean to be conveying an opinion that the movie was accurate down to the last detail. But to me, whatever inaccuracies or instances of dramatic license may have been visible to the eye of a horse racing fan or handicapper did not detract from enjoyment of the film (for me, at least), and were more than compensated for (in my view) by the value of the movie in introducing the general public to Secretariat and to horse racing, and increasing racing's fan base.

cj
07-19-2012, 11:34 AM

There wasn't much true about Secretariat.

DJofSD
07-19-2012, 11:37 AM
When I said "true story", I was using the term to differentiate the movie from a work of pure fiction, and did not mean to be conveying an opinion that the movie was accurate down to the last detail. But to me, whatever inaccuracies or instances of dramatic license may have been visible to the eye of a horse racing fan or handicapper did not detract from enjoyment of the film (for me, at least), and were more than compensated for (in my view) by the value of the movie in introducing the general public to Secretariat and to horse racing, and increasing racing's fan base.
OK, got it.

I guess some/most had thought it was not a documentary and were disappointed it was more of a docu-drama.

Overlay
07-19-2012, 11:43 AM
There wasn't much true about Secretariat.
Jeez, forget I even brought it up! :faint: (The question asked for "your favorite" movie, not the most accurate or detailed.) (Can we at least agree that there once in fact was a horse named Secretariat that won the Triple Crown in 1973?) :)

Overlay
07-19-2012, 11:47 AM
OK, got it.

I guess some/most had thought it was not a documentary and were disappointed it was more of a docu-drama.
For a documentary on Secretariat, I would watch the fine video that Chris Lincoln narrated on him.

alydar
07-19-2012, 11:51 AM
Boots Malone. Not even close.

You are right on, a great movie!

netbet
07-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Very funny movie. I need to watch it again soon.
The Longshot with Tim Conway. It's absolutely hysterical.

DJofSD
07-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Jeez, forget I even brought it up! :faint: (The question asked for "your favorite" movie, not the most accurate or detailed.) (Can we at least agree that there once in fact was a horse named Secretariat that won the Triple Crown in 1973?) :)
So stipulated.

Maximillion
07-19-2012, 06:24 PM
A then very young Stanley Kubrick was one of the first directors to effectively use non linear narrative in this film, that is, jumping back and then ahead in the time sequence, over and over. In this film we see the scene of the horses coming on the track several times, then cutting to what each character was doing at the time.

Hi BlueShoe, I somehow missed your original post......couldnt agree more, movie was genius for its time.

buzzy
07-21-2012, 09:46 PM
Hi BlueShoe, I somehow missed your original post......couldnt agree more, movie was genius for its time.

i caught this movie late one night..i could not agree more, attention to detail...great movie!!!

InControlX
07-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Longshot... $5K on French Majesty.

ICX

hugh
07-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Not a racing movie.. but I absolutely loved The Black Stallion ....
Saw it as a kid... made me look at horses in a totally different way.

jefftune
07-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Seabiscuit and Let It Ride. Gee, I haven't watched Let It Ride in ages.

davew
07-24-2012, 02:16 AM
Phar Lap, and Let it Ride (although I kept thinking how unrealistic it was betting that much into the win pool and not getting $2.10)

My favorite racetrack fiction author is
Dick Francis

mrhorseplayer
07-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Let it Ride I liked the different characters in the movie as there are some real characters at the tracks or OTB's.

Midnight Cruiser
07-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Let it Ride will always be the best straight horseracing movie with nothing else being close, but I will add 2 others that have a couple of horseracing references.

1. Lookin to Get Out with Jon Voight and a special cameo with his daughter Angelina Jolie and 2. The Sting-one of the greatest gambling movies ever.

JMHO

Peace

MC

BetPTC
07-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the all the feedback! We learned about a few movies we had never even heard of.

If you are interested in the classic LET IT RIDE starring Richard Dreyfus, Teri Garr, and Jennifer Tilly, then this deal is for you!

Join BetPTC.com today. Enter promo code "Pace-LIR," wager $350 or more within 21 days of registration and you will receive not only a $75 cash signup bonus but also this rare DVD. The LET IT RIDE Dvd's, when you can even find them, go for $40 or more on ebay, but this is one you will keep in your library.

FREE High Quality Video * Cash Back on Your Bets * Great Customer Service

Members of ADW Premier Turf Club can take advantage of a strong 11% cash back rate on Ellis Park exotic wagers and 7% on Del Mar exotics through the remainder of July. [The Del Mar offer covers everything except the Pick-5 bet.] Every week we offer special cash back promotions like these!

Take advantage of these fabulous real cash rewards (not points), and get a $75 sign-up bonus + the LET IT RIDE movie on DVD.

Did we mention FREE online video? High quality video that doesn't buffer. We've got it.

Join www.betptc.com today and enter promo code "Pace-LIR."

Membership is, unfortunately, not available in all states. Restricted states include CA, IL, NV, NJ and TX. U.S. residents only.

elhelmete
07-27-2012, 04:36 PM
The Sting in so far as the con centers around horseracing.

I believe the three races that are used to con the mark took place at 'Gansett, Belmont, and River Downs? I know they call a race from Rockingham at some point.

Overlay
07-27-2012, 05:55 PM
The Sting in so far as the con centers around horseracing.

I believe the three races that are used to con the mark took place at 'Gansett, Belmont, and River Downs? I know they call a race from Rockingham at some point.
Blue Note in the 4th at Narragansett
Wrecking Crew in the 6th at Belmont
Lucky Dan (to place) in the 3rd at Riverside (Missouri)

elhelmete
07-27-2012, 07:16 PM

"To place! I said Lucky Dan to PLACE!"

RXB
07-27-2012, 09:08 PM

"Get-a your ice cream, Tootsie Frootsie ice cream!"

RXB
07-27-2012, 09:11 PM
The Killing

Kubrick's first good film and it kept getting better from there for the next 10-12 years. (Paths of Glory, Lolita, Dr. Strangelove, 2001: A Space Odyssey)

BlueShoe
07-27-2012, 10:03 PM
The mutual takeout must have been higher than we thought 75 years ago. Either that or they suffered those after the bell late plunges that we must endure today. One of the winners that JJ called as going off at 3-1 payed just $6.00 :confused:

elhelmete
07-27-2012, 10:49 PM
The mutual takeout must have been higher than we thought 75 years ago. Either that or they suffered those after the bell late plunges that we must endure today. One of the winners that JJ called as going off at 3-1 payed just $6.00 :confused:

I caught that too! I chalked it up, perhaps, to the writers thinking that 3-1 winner would be announced as paying $6.00

Overlay
07-28-2012, 01:04 AM
"To place! I said Lucky Dan to PLACE!"
If Kid Twist had said it that way, it wouldn't have been ambiguous enough. He told Lonnegan, "Place it on Lucky Dan." Since the two prior "test" wagers had both been successful win bets, Lonnegan assumed that Lucky Dan was to have a bet "placed" on him to win, also, but Kid Twist could still credibly claim that he had told Lonnegan to bet the horse to place.