PDA

View Full Version : Drop The Ball Vs Put On A Show

Oskar
07-17-2012, 02:33 PM
This week’s Roses Are Red final at Mohawk gives us a good indication of how much things have changed in the aged pacing mares division. Western Silk and Anndrovette are the only two starters back from last year, which isn’t surprising since half of the ten finalists are four-year-olds. Dreamfair, who was knocked out in the elimination round, won last year, followed by Laughandbehappy, Anndrovette and Ticket To Rock.

Drop The Ball and Put On A Show were the stars of their respective prelims, with Rocklamation also performing very well against the former. DTB won in a TR 49, while POAS won her elimination in 50.4, however DTB (4-5) was in control from the half on, after being carried some by Jamieson and Rocklamation, while Show (3-5) was fourth over around the last turn and simply blew by the field. The fact that Show so easily overcame that slow 29 second quarter is in her favor.

Some thought Ross Croghan was nuts when he started the speedy but fractious Western Terror filly in the Pace last year, but a couple of weeks later in the Shallee she showed why. She went on to win the Bluegrass and the Matron, and came first up from far off in the BC, falling just short of catching Monkey in stakes record time. She had a tough trip in the Artiscape but came up big in the Green With Envy. For much of last year it was all Peelers and Krispy Apple, but Peelers has been retired and DTB has left KA in her wake.

Millionairess Put On A Show, who missed all of last season, has won four opens at Woodbine.

There only meeting came in the Artiscape, but that didn’t tell us much. Show was burned up at the front end and finished ninth as the even money favorite, while DTB came from way off to get third. It was the latter’s second start of 2012.

Drop The Ball has the three for Doug Mcnair and Put On A Show has the four for Jamieson.

Sea Biscuit
07-17-2012, 03:08 PM
This week’s Roses Are Red final at Mohawk gives us a good indication of how much things have changed in the aged pacing mares division. Western Silk and Anndrovette are the only two starters back from last year, which isn’t surprising since half of the ten finalists are four-year-olds. Dreamfair, who was knocked out in the elimination round, won last year, followed by Laughandbehappy, Anndrovette and Ticket To Rock.

Drop The Ball and Put On A Show were the stars of their respective prelims, with Rocklamation also performing very well against the former. DTB won in a TR 49, while POAS won her elimination in 50.4, however DTB (4-5) was in control from the half on, after being carried some by Jamieson and Rocklamation, while Show (3-5) was fourth over around the last turn and simply blew by the field. The fact that Show so easily overcame that slow 29 second quarter is in her favor.

Some thought Ross Croghan was nuts when he started the speedy but fractious Western Terror filly in the Pace last year, but a couple of weeks later in the Shallee she showed why. She went on to win the Bluegrass and the Matron, and came first up from far off in the BC, falling just short of catching Monkey in stakes record time. She had a tough trip in the Artiscape but came up big in the Green With Envy. For much of last year it was all Peelers and Krispy Apple, but Peelers has been retired and DTB has left KA in her wake.

Millionairess Put On A Show, who missed all of last season, has won four opens at Woodbine.

There only meeting came in the Artiscape, but that didn’t tell us much. Show was burned up at the front end and finished ninth as the even money favorite, while DTB came from way off to get third. It was the latter’s second start of 2012.

Drop The Ball has the three for Doug Mcnair and Put On A Show has the four for Jamieson.

Put On A Show will nick Drop The Ball at the wire to win the final. Time of the race 1:48:4 if the early fractions are right.

Oskar
07-17-2012, 04:46 PM
Put On A Show will nick Drop The Ball at the wire to win the final. Time of the race 1:48:4 if the early fractions are right.

Yeah, I think JJ will be doing the chasing, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them go that fast.

Rocklamation seems to be at the top of her game right now. She had three elimination wins and a second in the Matchmaker, plus she was an upset winner in the final—pretty much all of it done on the front end. The final was supposed to belong to Peelers, with Anndrovette the second choice, but Gingras went to the top with Rocklamation and stole it. Sears drives her on Saturday. He won a prelim and got a second with her in the Matchmaker.

Stealing one on the front end at Yonkers is a far cry from doing the same at Mohawk, but she looked good last week, and she’s the only one I can see beating DTB or POAS here, if all goes her way and things go sour for them.

Royal Cee Cee, who showed good gate speed for Jackie Mo in her elimination, has the rail.

Cowboy Brett, who recently won the Ellamony with Camille from an outside post, has the ten with that one. He’s been racing her from off the pace, but that’s not his style. Can't see her winning here, but he'll probably try to have an impact on the race--maybe help out his stablemate.

Jamieson knew what he was doing when he gave up Monkey for POAS. She's been good for him, and I'm sure he's got a lock on her in the BC.

camfella
07-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Androvette could be a big factor also,but top 2 were over the top last week POAS looked like she was going by 10 claimers ,last week, Drop The Ball is on fire right now , Monkey On My Wheel has a good one in her too,had no room last week, Western Silk was in Elimination mode last week and could be a factor, she looked ready to me.

Sea Biscuit
07-17-2012, 11:31 PM
Androvette could be a big factor also,but top 2 were over the top last week POAS looked like she was going by 10 claimers ,last week, Drop The Ball is on fire right now , Monkey On My Wheel has a good one in her too,had no room last week, Western Silk was in Elimination mode last week and could be a factor, she looked ready to me.

Did anyone see the ease that PUT ON A SHOW won here elimination round with in-spite of the slow front end fractions? Here it is in case you missed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofyqTKzpV6o

Oskar
07-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Mohawk Racetrack, Sat., July 21,Race 7, Post Time: 9:15 pm

Post—Horse Driver/Trainer Odds

1—Royal Cee Cee N J. Moiseyev/M. Harder 12-1

2—Put On A Show J. Jamieson/C. Ryder 7-5

3—Drop The Ball D. McNair/T. O’Sullivan 9-2

4—Rocklamation B. Sears/R. Burke 9-2

5—Monkey On My Wheel P. MacDonell/T. Umphrey 15-1

6—Anndrovette T. Tetrick/P. Fraley 6-1

7—Radar Contact M. Vanderkemp 15-1