PDA

View Full Version : Yet another musical milestone

DJofSD
07-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Last week I started a thread about fifty years of the Rolling Stones. Now, I find out that the preeminent American classical guitarist, Christopher Parkening, has retired from the concert stage.

My love of music started as a young boy when I got a Japanese transistor radio. Lots of great AM rock and roll in LA in those days.

As I matured both physically and musically, I grew to love classical music and discovered the classical guitar.

I first learned about Andres Segovia and then his student Christopher Parkening while in high school. It was about the time Parkening's debut recordings were released.

Later, after I got a real job, I started to take lessons playing classically. And, to my great surprise, my instructor was a personal friend and colaborator with Chris. Many concerts were presented along with master classes by my teacher. These included classes with the maestro. I never played at a level which would allow me to be a student in the master classes but, being a knowledgeable player with skills as a photographer got me into the classes, concerts and after parties.

But all of that was a long time ago. And now, as the giants of the repertoire advance in years and retire, a new generation takes over. But, they'll just be artists and never fond memories.