View Full Version : William T. Young Dies At Age 84

PaceAdvantage
01-13-2004, 12:40 AM
A major blow to racing indeed...

http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=19993

http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=19994

Shacopate
01-13-2004, 04:28 AM
A sad day for racing. This man was a true gentleman.

The W.T. Young Library on UK's campus was built due to his generousity (about 10 million). It is considered the best in the nation, state-of-the-art. Three floors high and has about 1500 NEW computers on-line. (Per his wishes) It is considered a library for the public and ALL are welcome, not just students.

Class act all the way.

Bubbles
01-13-2004, 03:03 PM
In Jim McKay's auto-biography, he describes how D. Wayne Lukas felt after winning the Derby with Grindstone. His thoughts were not of himself, but of the owner, Mr. Young. Guy must have had class to make even Lukas feel secondary. R.I.P.

shanta
01-13-2004, 04:07 PM
for a young man you have a lot of class also! not too many young men your age speak with such respect of others! you also "cap em" pretty good. just wanted to tell you that. your family must be very proud of you! richie :)

Bubbles
01-13-2004, 05:18 PM
Thanks man. Means a lot. Although the 'capping thing sometimes comes into question...:D

Observer
01-13-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Bubbles
... Guy must have had class to make even Lukas feel secondary. ...

Always has to be someone to take a shot at Lukas.
:(

And yes, the passing of WT Young is definitely sad .. always seemed like a genuine gentleman .. and truly amazing the risk this guy took with Storm Cat early on when no one wanted to breed to him .. and now look how that's paid off .. if only some other breeders were that patient.

Shacopate
01-15-2004, 12:26 AM
I think THE POINT, in Bubbles post, was an appreciation for Mr. Young.

Not a shot at Lukas, who freely admits that he is an egomaniac, and that desire fuels his success.

Observer
01-15-2004, 01:22 PM
Yeah, thanks for the clarification. I couldn't figure that out on my own.
:rolleyes:

Bubbles
01-15-2004, 01:40 PM
Yeah, it was meant as appreciation. Only thing I have against Lukas is that I haven't won by betting any of his horses in two years. ;) :D :)