PDA

View Full Version : NYRA Finished After Saratoga

The Hawk
07-16-2012, 09:54 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/cuomo_whip_coming_down_OtS0rKivU181FjKqojxjfN

Tom
07-16-2012, 10:27 AM
“The hope is to bring entirely new blood onto the board, people who perhaps know more about horse racing outside New York rather than the current group that’s been very insular,” the source continued.

So let's dilute NYRA with other people from jurisdictions that fail to come close to the standards for quality racing NYRA has set.

Sounds like a plan.
Btw, the guy has an appropriate name.
Very appropriate.

PaceAdvantage
07-16-2012, 10:42 AM
When it comes to headlines, The Hawk might be worse than Dicker...

Let's have fun with this "story"...start out with Dicker's first graph:Gov. Cuomo will put the New York Racing Association out of its scandal-scarred misery “promptly” after the historic Saratoga Race Track meet that begins this Friday, The Post has learned....then, just a little later in the story we find this gem...The new law gives Cuomo eight appointments on the board, the legislative leaders get four and NYRA itself just five.Oh wait...there's that pesky acronym again...NYRA...but I thought, according to you, they were finished, and according to Dicker, they were being put out of their misery.

This story by Dicker made me laugh out loud a number of times...let's each enjoy a hearty chortle with some choice cuts...The source said Cuomo’s office has been flooded with experienced racing hands interested in being appointed to the board.Dicker makes this sound like it's a GOOD thing... :lol: What a poor, little naive one he is... :lol:Among those under consideration for appointment: celebrity chef and TV personality Bobby Flay, a thoroughbred-racehorse owner.Oh yes, he must be the very definition of EXPERIENCED RACING HAND...nothing against Mr. Flay, but come on...REALLY? :lol:“The hope is to bring entirely new blood onto the board, people who perhaps know more about horse racing outside New York rather than the current group that’s been very insular,” the source continued.Hey, why not go all the way and extend the search into Mexico and Canada while we're at it...“There are some former executives from Churchill Downs [in Kentucky], as well as other prominent racing venues,” according to the source.Note the word FORMER... :lol:

And last but not least, the most interesting three straight graphs in the whole "story:" “As soon as the season ends, the shift will be promptly made. The feeling was this is a high-profile racing meet about to get under way, so we didn’t want to interrupt it or create uncertainty going into the season.

“The focus right now should be on the Saratoga season,” the source continued.

Current NYRA President/CEO Ellen McClain will be fired as part of the transformation as soon as the meet ends on Sept. 3, the source said.Ah yes, nothing says don't interrupt or create uncertainty more than letting the President/CEO know through a news leak that she's out of a job after the meet ends... :rolleyes:

BTW, I'm a betting man, and I bet, that although McClain will indeed lose her CEO status (Cuomo basically let that be known when he feigned outrage at her appointment), I seriously doubt she'll be let go completely. But hey, I guess Dicker had to write something...

bigmack
07-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Current NYRA President/CEO Ellen McClain will be fired as part of the transformation as soon as the meet ends on Sept. 3, the source said.

Some, like OTM Al, might wonder if Cuomo is taking such action as a result of her being a woman. Or, now get this, because she's black. Let's assume both.

What a misogynistic bigot, that Cuomo. :p

aaron
07-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Just curious,but who ran the race tracks in NY before NYRA ? Were they privately run and if so,why was NYRA established ? The tracks had to be profitable 50 years ago. Just curious about the history.

Dave Schwartz
07-16-2012, 11:21 AM
PA & OTM,

(I am asking you because both of you seem to be so close to the issue.)

Does the article really mean that NYRA will get new leadership/governance?

Dave

PaceAdvantage
07-16-2012, 11:28 AM
PA & OTM,

(I am asking you because both of you seem to be so close to the issue.)

Does the article really mean that NYRA will get new leadership/governance?

DaveIf by leadership, you mean a new CEO (and whomever he or she chooses to bring along with her), yes. And if by governance, they've basically been governed by NYS since inception...so nothing really changes much there IMO, even with a newly stacked against them (12-5) board of directors.

The Hawk
07-16-2012, 12:03 PM
When it comes to headlines, The Hawk might be worse than Dicker...

Gov. Cuomo will put the New York Racing Association out of its scandal-scarred misery “promptly” after the historic Saratoga Race Track meet that begins this Friday, The Post has learned.

"NYRA Finished After Saratoga" doesn't sum it up? Racing in NY will of course go on; The NY Racing Association as we know it will be kaput. You may not agree with the story, but that's what the story says.

OTM Al
07-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Gov. Cuomo will put the New York Racing Association out of its scandal-scarred misery “promptly” after the historic Saratoga Race Track meet that begins this Friday, The Post has learned.

"NYRA Finished After Saratoga" doesn't sum it up? Racing in NY will of course go on; The NY Racing Association as we know it will be kaput. You may not agree with the story, but that's what the story says.
Someone seems to be missing the part of Cuomo's legislation that states control goes back to NYRA after three years. You don't think the state would ignore a sunset clause, do you?

PaceAdvantage
07-16-2012, 12:18 PM

"NYRA Finished After Saratoga" doesn't sum it up? Racing in NY will of course go on; The NY Racing Association as we know it will be kaput. You may not agree with the story, but that's what the story says.Your own linked-to story states NYRA will still have five seats on the board. Plus what OTM Al says.

How exactly does that equate to "NYRA finished?" How exactly are they being "put out of their misery?"

Sounds like both you and Dicker are way off, even going by Dicker's own "story."

OTM Al
07-16-2012, 12:23 PM
Just curious,but who ran the race tracks in NY before NYRA ? Were they privately run and if so,why was NYRA established ? The tracks had to be profitable 50 years ago. Just curious about the history.
It was in the 50s when what became NYRA was founded. Don't remember off hand the names of all the organizations but Saratoga was long run by the Saratoga Association. If you go in the Nelson ave entrance you can still see a SA logo on the paved area. Anyway they got all three current tracks plus the Jamaica track at the time, the latter being closed immediately. They had to buy out the stockholders of the tracks which lead to the contention that they indeed did own the tracks.

The Hawk
07-16-2012, 12:24 PM
Your own linked-to story states NYRA will still have five seats on the board. Plus what OTM Al says.

How exactly does that equate to "NYRA finished?" How exactly are they being "put out of their misery?"

Sounds like both you and Dicker are way off, even going by Dicker's own "story."

Sorry, my fault, I forgot the local rules here:

1) NYRA is ALWAYS great

2) If NYRA isn't so great, see rule one.

PaceAdvantage
07-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Sorry, my fault, I forgot the local rules here:

1) NYRA is ALWAYS great

2) If NYRA isn't so great, see rule one.So you'd rather avoid what I wrote and take it personal.

What did I write that was worthy of such a response? Is it because I don't agree with you and present to you pieces of the story you linked to that backs my argument?

Tremendous response...way to defend your position.

What exactly is your position anyway? Do you not agree with what I wrote? How can you not? It's entirely fact-based.

OTM Al
07-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Your own linked-to story states NYRA will still have five seats on the board. Plus what OTM Al says.

The five seats must also come from the current NYRA board appointees as well as any replacements should one no longer be able to serve. Doesn't much sound like sweeping out the so called blue bloods does it

Steve 'StatMan'
07-16-2012, 12:27 PM

So, do they know who is going to put the scandal-scarred New York State Government out of its misery?

Tom
07-16-2012, 12:35 PM
You don't think the state would ignore a sunset clause, do you?

Post of the Month! :lol::lol::lol:

The Hawk
07-16-2012, 12:45 PM
So you'd rather avoid what I wrote and take it personal.

What did I write that was worthy of such a response? Is it because I don't agree with you and present to you pieces of the story you linked to that backs my argument?

Tremendous response...way to defend your position.

What exactly is your position anyway? Do you not agree with what I wrote? How can you not? It's entirely fact-based.

There was nothing in the headline that wasn't in the story. Again, if you don't agree with what's in the story, that's a different point. What am I "way off" about? I don't care who runs NY racing, I thought it was an interesting read. And that's what the story said, NYRA is done. I guess since it's an anti-NYRA piece, the person presenting the story has to be attacked in some way. If it has to be the headline, so be it, I guess.

PaceAdvantage
07-16-2012, 12:50 PM
I don't agree that I was attacking anything. Did I call the author any names? Did I call you any names?

No, I said you were way off in your headline, and Dicker was way off in his piece, and I proceeded to demonstrate why, and did so effectively in my opinion.

Your logical next step would be to point out why I was not effective, but you instead chose to ratchet the debate down into the toilet by once again claiming I'm not to be respected because there are some fantasy "rules" in place around here.

So I am to assume that you agree "NYRA is Finished" and they will be "put out of their misery," even though they still retain five seats on the board and after three years they are to regain control once again, as OTM Al pointed out.

I fail to see how these facts can co-exist with your choice of thread titles or some of the things written in Dicker's article.

Dahoss9698
07-16-2012, 12:52 PM
There was nothing in the headline that wasn't in the story. Again, if you don't agree with what's in the story, that's a different point. What am I "way off" about? I don't care who runs NY racing, I thought it was an interesting read. And that's what the story said, NYRA is done. I guess since it's an anti-NYRA piece, the person presenting the story has to be attacked in some way. If it has to be the headline, so be it, I guess.

NYRA isn't finished, based on them still having 5 seats on the "new" board and gaining control back in 3 years.

That's what you are off on (this time).

jdhanover
07-16-2012, 12:56 PM
it likely will hinge on the new CEO. That person will either drive change ... or not. Like any other organization that flips majority control of its Board.

Robert Fischer
07-16-2012, 01:01 PM
NYRA is finished ??

Robert Goren
07-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Time will tell what happens to NYRA. Considering that the Governor doesn't like the way they have been done things and he has the power to change things, I would say it is likely changes are coming whether the posters here like it or not.

The Hawk
07-16-2012, 01:13 PM
NYRA isn't finished, based on them still having 5 seats on the "new" board and gaining control back in 3 years.

That's what you are off on (this time).

You're wrong. Here are the first two paragraphs of the story:

The much-anticipated Cuomo action, authorized by the Legislature last month in the wake of a long series of NYRA scandals, will take the form of the appointment of a new 17-member board of directors, a majority of which will be picked by Cuomo and the legislative leaders.

PA: The headline was correct, based on what was written in the story. The story is wrong, in your opinion? That's fine, but that's a separate issue.

MaTH716
07-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Time will tell what happens to NYRA. Considering that the Governor doesn't like the way they have been done things and he has the power to change things, I would say it is likely changes are coming whether the posters here like it or not.
It's funny how no-one upstate gave a crap about NYRA & racing until the racino was finally built.

Robert Goren
07-16-2012, 01:15 PM
It's funny how no-one upstate gave a crap about NYRA & racing until the racino was finally built. Money does equal interest in this case.

PaceAdvantage
07-16-2012, 01:17 PM
You're wrong. Here are the first two paragraphs of the story:

The much-anticipated Cuomo action, authorized by the Legislature last month in the wake of a long series of NYRA scandals, will take the form of the appointment of a new 17-member board of directors, a majority of which will be picked by Cuomo and the legislative leaders.

PA: The headline was correct, based on what was written in the story. The story is wrong, in your opinion? That's fine, but that's a separate issue.To me, the title "NYRA Finished" and "put out of its misery" implies it will cease to exist. That is simply not the case. And that is all I was saying.

I'm not sure how you can disagree with this given the facts, but that's your right I suppose.

Dave Schwartz
07-16-2012, 01:29 PM
PA & OTM,

So, if I understand correctly, racing goes on, it is still run by the same board (but leadership will likely change in a big way), the same tracks are still included...

What is actually changing then?

What does the NYRA actually own or control? (Currently and in the future?)

MaTH716
07-16-2012, 01:43 PM
PA & OTM,

So, if I understand correctly, racing goes on, it is still run by the same board (but leadership will likely change in a big way), the same tracks are still included...

Purely a guess on my end, but I think the real reason why the state has stuck their nose in to the racing biz, is the Racino. If they turn the screws on NYRA, they could probably adjust the percentage so the State gets more.

Tom
07-16-2012, 02:00 PM
I would say it is likely changes are coming whether the posters here like it or not.

Yes, and what are the odds a third-rate governor from a fourth-rate state with zero knowledge about the industry will make GOOD changes? The only good thing that might happen is that Bobby Flay will upgrade the hot dogs.

riskman
07-16-2012, 02:01 PM
So, do they know who is going to put the scandal-scarred New York State Government out of its misery?

That will never happen. What would the rest of the country have to talk about on a continuing basis. Between NY., IL., and CA. we have scandal all locked up.

OTM Al
07-16-2012, 02:03 PM
PA & OTM,

It's hard to say right now Dave as if anyone knows for sure, he isn't talking. Ms McClain will lose the presidet's title certainly though I believe she is COO, not CEO, as claimed in the article. No reason known at the moment why she would lose that unless whoever the State finds elects to do so. The balance of the board will shift from the organization to the State. I predict they will at some point consider raising the take as a way to make NYRA more self sufficient as they take away slots money.

What does NYRA control is a good question. The franchise agreement outlined what they were supposed to control, but the State has essentially ripped that up. They had to do that because otherwise they wouldn't have been able to shutter Aqueduct according to their original plan. Further, the agreement speccified payments from VLTs so if Cuomo gets his way with new gambling legislation, real slots will get installed and NYRA will get nothing. If something is handed back to NYRA in three years, it is likely to be well pillaged.

lamboguy
07-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Yes, and what are the odds a third-rate governor from a fourth-rate state with zero knowledge about the industry will make GOOD changes? The only good thing that might happen is that Bobby Flay will upgrade the hot dogs.
they already have great hot dogs!

Charli125
07-16-2012, 02:35 PM
I predict they will at some point consider raising the take as a way to make NYRA more self sufficient as they take away slots money.

Good God I hope we can get a chance to get in front of the decision makers before they do that. Right now they have a great marketing piece in that their takeout is lower than that of CA. I hope they'll be open to listening to their customers(like Keeneland has done to smashing success) rather than making hasty decisions without any facts behind them.

redshift1
07-16-2012, 02:51 PM
I Know nothing about the NYRA situation but the Post story itself is an interesting use of anonymous sourcing, the author clearly has a bias against NYRA and does little to disguise his position. Hardly qualifying as journalism the article reads more like a Dicker wish list.

classhandicapper
07-16-2012, 03:01 PM
Oh yes, he must be the very definition of EXPERIENCED RACING HAND...nothing against Mr. Flay, but come on...REALLY? :lol:

From what I understand, Flay is actually a very diligent student of the game and has been for awhile. He's an owner, built an amazing brand out of himself, and has been successful in business. That pretty much makes him more qualified to do just about anything better than 99% of everyone else running racing now. lol Seriously, if Flay got involved I would consider it a plus from multiple directions.

PaceAdvantage
07-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Class, now that I've thought about it a bit, I kind of agree with you. However, the article pushed the point they were "looking for experienced racing hands," and Bobby has been in the game only a short while, relatively speaking.

classhandicapper
07-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Class, now that I've thought about it a bit, I kind of agree with you. However, the article pushed the point they were "looking for experienced racing hands," and Bobby has been in the game only a short while, relatively speaking.

I'm a Food Network fan and you were picking on my guy. ;)

At the very least the quality of the food should be better (though it has improved recently anyway). I'd like to see an Iron Chef area where I could get some barbecue with Flay's chilly sauces. :lol:

Hambletonian
07-16-2012, 03:23 PM
It really does not matter who is fiddling when Rome burns, does it?

The NYRA was good and bad, just like every other organization.

They were remarkably tone deaf at times, but most of their issues did not revolve around the product, which has always been a decent one.

Problem for NY is once they gave up title to the land under AQU and BEL, they were living on borrowed time.

If the economy was better both racetracks would be doomed, the land is/was worth more than horse racing can generate in profits.

Frankly, a larger board of a bunch of political appointees is not likely to bring much improvement.

Considering nobody give a crud about ontrack attendance, how about getting rid of Belmont and Aqueduct, old tracks built for a different era, extend the SAR meet, winterize FL for all the local horses needing to earn a paycheck in the winter, and perhaps building a modest racetrack somewhere north of NYC to for a bridge meet in the spring or fall. Maybe form a circuit with Monmouth for that purpose.

Tom
07-16-2012, 03:36 PM
I'm a Food Network fan and you were picking on my guy. ;)

Alton, maybe - he has TWO finalists, Flay has only one.

mannyberrios
07-16-2012, 03:54 PM
It really does not matter who is fiddling when Rome burns, does it?

The NYRA was good and bad, just like every other organization.

They were remarkably tone deaf at times, but most of their issues did not revolve around the product, which has always been a decent one.

Problem for NY is once they gave up title to the land under AQU and BEL, they were living on borrowed time.

If the economy was better both racetracks would be doomed, the land is/was worth more than horse racing can generate in profits.

Frankly, a larger board of a bunch of political appointees is not likely to bring much improvement.

Considering nobody give a crud about ontrack attendance, how about getting rid of Belmont and Aqueduct, old tracks built for a different era, extend the SAR meet, winterize FL for all the local horses needing to earn a paycheck in the winter, and perhaps building a modest racetrack somewhere north of NYC to for a bridge meet in the spring or fall. Maybe form a circuit with Monmouth for that purpose.
No!

KingChas
07-16-2012, 04:31 PM

Does this mean..... this season will be the last time I can buy a 16oz. beer at the Spa?

I would be willing to wager 99.9% of Pace Advantage members are more experienced with horseracing than Bobby Flay.

Let's Us Just Buy A Cheap Claimer......and submit a resume. :jump:

Sorry Bobby......................... ;)

bigmack
07-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Ms McClain will lose the presidet's title certainly though I believe she is COO, not CEO, as claimed in the article. No reason known at the moment why she would lose that unless whoever the State finds elects to do so.
I wouldn't expect an answer from Al, as he has some jaded judgments about my little schtick, but who in their right mind believes the person who was CFO during a period when they were overcharging should still be in place in this organization? Accountability is NOT a factor for her position?

reckless
07-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Just a few thoughts that crossed my mind after reading Fred Dicker's column...

There has always been great animous directed at NYRA by the Cuomo family. Andrew's father, the mean fatchime, Gov. Mario Cuomo, wanted to take-over NYRA when he was govenor from 1983-94.

I could be mistaken but I do believe that Mario Cuomo not once attended a Saratoga meeting or a Belmont Stakes, where traditionally, the NY governor would hand out the hardware to the winning owner of the Belmont and Travers stakes races.

I do recall that George Pataki's (Mario's successor) press people made it a point to get the word out that Gov. Pataki was a lover and supporter of New York racing. It was a direct message to the racing industry that he was NOT Cuomo.

The column mentioned getting rid of the 'blue bloods' on the NYRA board. The term blue bloods was meant in a derisive manner, in my opinion.

While a NYRA house-cleaning is most certainly warranted, I see a complete takeover by Cuomo is in the works -- and not just the board or in top executive management. I believe Andrew wants the whole kit and kiboodle.

Think of all the patronage white collar jobs those pigs in Albany will now have control? And all those union jobs that will be doled out, paying back and placating the Democrat Party's main constituency.

Not to mention a future run for the presidency by one Andrew Cuomo. The race track is the world's greatest money-laundering venue and a run for the White House could get pretty expensive.

One other note -- simply put, Fred Dicker is a clown, a hack, and in the pocket of the Cuomo family. Don't think for a second that Dicker is an unbiased or serious journalist; he's been bought and paid for by the Cuomos for many years now.

In the 2010 Gov.'s race Dicker not once hammered Andrew on his role when he (Cuomo) was head of HUD and shaking down local and regional banks around the country and setting the groundwork for the collapse of the real estate (and stock) market crashes in 2008-09.

Dicker also gave a pass to Democrat US senator Kirsten Gilibrand, New York, who was 2nd in command to Andrew at HUD and who was also directly responsible for forcing local bankers to make those bad mortgage loans to unqualified consumers. Yes, there are many villains in that saga but Dicker ignored Cuomo's role completely. So much for unbiased journalism.

I also believe Dicker is currently working on a book on Andrew Cuomo. That's not a crime, of course, but I question Fred's integrity.

This is one way politicians, athletes and other celebrities pay back 'journalists' who have been of the friendly kind, as Dicker is, who will make a ton of money when the Andrew Cuomo book is eventually published.

NYRA, if indeed it gets taken over by NY state, will eventually become just like The Meadowlands/Monmouth Park is now.... a failed enterprise run by state hacks, and assorted political appointees and flunkies.

Now, when the pols eventually drive horse racing into the oblivion, guess what happens to all that valuable real estate?? It becomes a giant casino and slot machine emporium, littered ad infinitim with Bobby Flay-styled restaurants -- you know the kind: those fancy looking and expensive dumps where cheap, aged pink slime gets buried under a mound of ancho chillies.

Dahoss9698
07-16-2012, 05:54 PM
I would be willing to wager 99.9% of Pace Advantage members are more experienced with horseracing than Bobby Flay.

I'll take that bet and there is no limit on how much you can wager.

KingChas
07-16-2012, 06:18 PM
I'll take that bet and there is no limit on how much you can wager.

OK I will be realistic................49.9%

Still on..................?

Indulto
07-16-2012, 06:39 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/new-nyra-board-timetable-uncertain
New NYRA board timetable uncertain
By Matt Hegarty 07/16/2012Nearly eight weeks after the New York Racing Association and Gov. Andrew Cuomo reached an agreement to dissolve the association’s current board of directors in favor of a board controlled by state politicians, it remains unclear when state officials will seek to replace .the current NYRA board.

… Given the high profile of the Saratoga meet, it would be logical to assume that Cuomo will wait until the end of the stand to make his picks, in the interests of allowing the meet to proceed without purposeful disruption. …

… NYRA chairman Stephen Duncker would not comment on the report, but he released a statement specifically noting that McClain was the association’s “chief operating officer,” not its chief executive.

“[McClain] is an extremely talented executive and the NYRA board of directors is very happy with the job that she has done running the company,” the statement read. “We are immediately focused on maintaining the terrific success that we have had at Saratoga Race Course.”

northerndancer
07-16-2012, 06:54 PM
Someone seems to be missing the part of Cuomo's legislation that states control goes back to NYRA after three years. You don't think the state would ignore a sunset clause, do you?

LOL NYS ignore a sunset clause that is why I am still paying tolls on the NYS Thruway system as that was a sunset clause that was completely ignored.... NYS will never relinquish control once they have it.

therussmeister
07-16-2012, 07:32 PM
I don't know much about business so maybe I shouldn't speak, but it seems to me the chronic problems at NYRA can be summed up in one little number: 17 as in the number of members on the Board Of Directors. I can't see that as being anything but way too many. My local track has six, I believe. Too many people with to many opposing opinions. I don't know how they can get anything done.

Rico8812
07-17-2012, 01:10 AM
NYRA's biggest blunder in the last decade was giving away the deeds to the tracks in exchange for the franchise extension. That was a mistake of EPIC proportions.

Anyone who thinks NY Racing will improve while being run by the state is completly clueless towards reality.

Tom
07-17-2012, 02:23 PM
but it seems to me the chronic problems at NYRA can be summed up in one little number: 17

What are those chronic problems?

1. Take out issue

thespaah
07-18-2012, 08:36 PM
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/cuomo_whip_coming_down_OtS0rKivU181FjKqojxjfN
Holy crap....Not that NYRA is going to the curb, but the manner in which a new Board will be picked to run the tracks...It drips of political patronage and corruption.....Do this, Governor Cuomo and you will end thoroughbred racing in NY forever.
I state this because no entity operated by government under the model of "who you know" is ever successful.
For those who have been wanting to hear the bell toll for NYRA.....Be careful what you wish for. You might just get it.
BTW, Aqueduct will cease operations as a racing facility. Mark my words.

thespaah
07-18-2012, 08:47 PM
:lol: # :1:

thespaah
07-18-2012, 08:57 PM
LOL NYS ignore a sunset clause that is why I am still paying tolls on the NYS Thruway system as that was a sunset clause that was completely ignored.... NYS will never relinquish control once they have it.
Yep..All the State of NY will do is ef up the tracks and of course will milk Saratoga for every ounce until the thing just dies.

tzipi
07-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Yep..All the State of NY will do is ef up the tracks and of course will milk Saratoga for every ounce until the thing just dies.

Saratoga will never die. They know it's huge attendance and a big money intake. It also creates big money and buisness for the surrounding areas all summer.

Jasonm921
07-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Let me if I may throw my two cents in because I have been pretty much spot on with Cuomo's moves so far. The three year provision coincides with the next legislative vote for full fledged gambling and the state wide referendum by the voters all that have to be done in consecutive years. This will bring us into the third year. The agreement between NYRA and the State for license of the franchise states that NYRA can lose the franchise based on certain criteria...ie. backstretch conditions, horse safety and so on. Cuomo already started a paper trail with the horse safety and will continue to do so every few months to illustrate that NYRA can't maintain the highest standard of racing. Once gambling is voted in you will have a ton of money coming in for bids from casinos. At that time bidding will also include the race tracks as Cuomo has no interest in holding on to the property.

In three years Cuomo will have his hat in the ring for a presidential nomination and he will run on the fact that he will have brought in BILLIONS of dollars of revenue that he "created"....which would not be incorrect although in reality it was more of a fleecing.

OTM Al
07-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Let me if I may throw my two cents in because I have been pretty much spot on with Cuomo's moves so far. The three year provision coincides with the next legislative vote for full fledged gambling and the state wide referendum by the voters all that have to be done in consecutive years. This will bring us into the third year. The agreement between NYRA and the State for license of the franchise states that NYRA can lose the franchise based on certain criteria...ie. backstretch conditions, horse safety and so on. Cuomo already started a paper trail with the horse safety and will continue to do so every few months to illustrate that NYRA can't maintain the highest standard of racing. Once gambling is voted in you will have a ton of money coming in for bids from casinos. At that time bidding will also include the race tracks as Cuomo has no interest in holding on to the property.

In three years Cuomo will have his hat in the ring for a presidential nomination and he will run on the fact that he will have brought in BILLIONS of dollars of revenue that he "created"....which would not be incorrect although in reality it was more of a fleecing.

Sounds pretty well reasoned. Nothing like a bidding process to line politcal pockets. Also agree that they have been trying their best to violate NYRA out of the franchise although they may not even have to do that since they have already essentially ripped up the agreement.

classhandicapper
07-21-2012, 10:49 AM
At that time bidding will also include the race tracks as Cuomo has no interest in holding on to the property.

As an impartial observer when it comes to NYRA, I don't think that would be the worst thing I've ever heard. I've long maintained that there are better economic uses for AQU than a race track when there is another track just on the other side of the Queens border (actually Belmont may even be partially in Queens).

I don't care who owns the tracks, who runs the tracks etc... All I care is that there IS at least one local track that gives me a comfortable and enjoyable experience with low takes and high quality racing. IMO, the best way to do that is to get the politicians and their influence as far out of the picture as is humanly possible because given enough time they could and would destroy a gift from God.

thespaah
07-21-2012, 04:20 PM
Saratoga will never die. They know it's huge attendance and a big money intake. It also creates big money and buisness for the surrounding areas all summer.
Do you think it possible that due to the fact the the Saratoga meet is so successful that a new board is capable of unthinkable actions such as extending the meet to say 8 weeks or from the official start of summer( Independence Day week) through Labor Day?
I sure as hell think so. Why? Because politicians are greedy and will milk a cash cow until she is dried up and unable to produce any more.
Please allow me my cynical view of politicians.

Al Gobbi
07-21-2012, 05:58 PM
NY Racing is screwed now with the state taking over when Belmont starts (no stakes schedule out yet, too BTW). Aqueduct is probably a lock for redevelopment - probably expanded Genting casino. Only questing for now is when does the racing end at AQU - Next spring?

the little guy
07-21-2012, 07:27 PM
As an impartial observer when it comes to NYRA, I don't think that would be the worst thing I've ever heard.

I was laughing so hard after reading this that I couldn't finish your post.

Does your nose grow when you write nonsense like this?

tzipi
07-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Do you think it possible that due to the fact the the Saratoga meet is so successful that a new board is capable of unthinkable actions such as extending the meet to say 8 weeks or from the official start of summer( Independence Day week) through Labor Day?
I sure as hell think so. Why? Because politicians are greedy and will milk a cash cow until she is dried up and unable to produce any more.
Please allow me my cynical view of politicians.

People make Saratoga a late July to Aug thing. People wont go up there from June till Sept so NYS can milk them. JMO. Can NYS do crazy thing? Sure. But I agree, I hope the don't mess around with Saratoga. The meet time is perfect as is.

classhandicapper
07-22-2012, 12:38 AM
I was laughing so hard after reading this that I couldn't finish your post.

Does your nose grow when you write nonsense like this?

Andy, you work for NYRA. The chances you could recognize impartiality are about equal to the chances of either of us becoming the starting point guard for the Bulls when Rose gets back (and I could easily rename myself "the littler guy"). :lol:

I happen to love the job you and Maggie do on TV even though you may not feel the same way about me on forums and twitter. I also love Belmont and Saratoga. But beyond that I couldn't care one way or the other how this all plays out. Unlike many here, I'm not rooting for NYRA to either succeed or fail. As long as I get good racing, good food at a reasonable price, and a clean environment, I don't care who gives it to me. That's what makes me impartial.

I have three opinions on NY racing.

1. Any government involvement in racing is too much involvement.

2. From a purely "detached from racing" economics point of view, IMO AQU should be closed because the land can be better utilized. I have some amazing memories of the place (as I'm sure you do because we became fans at the same time), but I still think they should close it.

3. NYRA has done neither a great or terrible job in a tough environment over the last few years for itself, the OTBs, and the industry.

Al Gobbi
07-22-2012, 01:35 AM
Cuomo Cleans up NYRA - NYPOST.com Editorial
As Post State Editor Fred Dicker reported last week, NYRA will have run its last race when the current Saratoga season, which started Friday, ends on Sept. 3. After that, a brand-new sheriff’s in town to clean out the stables.

Two months ago, in the wake of the latest NYRA scandal (NYRA officials ripped off bettors to the tune of $8.5 million), Cuomo forced the association’s board to accept de facto state receivership. While the board is supposed to be temporary, Dicker’s reporting makes it clear that the old NYRA will soon be history. NYRA’s president, for example, will be cashiered as soon as the Saratoga season ends.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/editorials/coming_for_the_horse_head_PNp3oTAMZLSupkJbk8vd0I#i xzz21KJqx8Sc

PaceAdvantage
07-22-2012, 05:20 AM
Cuomo Cleans up NYRA - NYPOST.com EditorialI swear to God I need a VOMIT emoticon on this board...

I actually had to look up at the top of the screen to make sure I wasn't reading something from the Daily News...

When the Post is writing like this, you know the fix is in...

burnsy
07-22-2012, 08:00 AM
Andy, you work for NYRA. The chances you could recognize impartiality are about equal to the chances of either of us becoming the starting point guard for the Bulls when Rose gets back (and I could easily rename myself "the littler guy"). :lol:

I happen to love the job you and Maggie do on TV even though you may not feel the same way about me on forums and twitter. I also love Belmont and Saratoga. But beyond that I couldn't care one way or the other how this all plays out. Unlike many here, I'm not rooting for NYRA to either succeed or fail. As long as I get good racing, good food at a reasonable price, and a clean environment, I don't care who gives it to me. That's what makes me impartial.

I have three opinions on NY racing.

1. Any government involvement in racing is too much involvement.

2. From a purely "detached from racing" economics point of view, IMO AQU should be closed because the land can be better utilized. I have some amazing memories of the place (as I'm sure you do because we became fans at the same time), but I still think they should close it.

3. NYRA has done neither a great or terrible job in a tough environment over the last few years for itself, the OTBs, and the industry.
a post with some reason....i feel the same way. i am a customer....i don't give a sh!t who runs the thing. just sell me what i want with quality and in good order. the only reason i sort of side with NYRA is that when NYS gets involved it usually becomes a cluster fuk. anyone thats lived here ( in NY) should realize that or you are a fool. thats why most of the "locals" as the naysayers call them back NYRA to some extent. once NYS gets too much control we will probably get the screw job as fans and as bettors. Look at what that bonehead did to NJ.....i would not put it past NY to try the same crap. In a way Saratoga protects racing here with its success...if it were not doing this well.....they might already of tried to down grade racing by pulling some of the slot money. one on the things that keeps the crooks downstate from screwing racing is the upstate politics of Saratoga. You can't totally crap on the "golden goose" and get away with it. My guess is that Saratoga actually helps keep these morons in check to some extent. As some one that just wants good racing i can see that NYRA at times plays right into the states hand by screwing up. The latest take out debacle was the dumbest, stupidest thing to have ever occurred...when the state is already constantly up your ass. Street smarts would of told you to make sure the take out was in order....no excuses...they might of even let you do this to nail you later. Heads should of rolled for that. i don't care who knew when....that kind of thing is unacceptable and not only that it opened the door for the state to use every excuse to take control. To sit there and blindly back NYRA is sort of fool hearty too. WE LIVE IN NY STATE WHERE THE BLIND LEADS THE BLIND....AND WHEN THE BLIND ARE NOT "WATCHING EACH OTHER" THEY ARE EITHER STEALING OR STABBING EACH OTHER IN THE BACK. Thats just how it is here....of course it makes great stories for that rag the NY Post...which is controlled by other interests too. Its a poor excuse for journalism,,but then again whats good journalism these days? NY is in the position to CORNER the market on summer racing and only a state like this could someway screw that up..........i have the utmost confidence that they will die trying.....lol

badcompany
07-22-2012, 10:27 AM
People make Saratoga a late July to Aug thing. People wont go up there from June till Sept so NYS can milk them. JMO. Can NYS do crazy thing? Sure. But I agree, I hope the don't mess around with Saratoga. The meet time is perfect as is.

Considering that the first Saturday's card was loaded with Maiden races, you can make the case that the meet is too long as is.

Tom
07-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Four weeks was plenty.

tzipi
07-22-2012, 12:23 PM
I swear to God I need a VOMIT emoticon on this board...

That would be good. :D

cj
09-17-2012, 02:07 PM
Current NYRA President/CEO Ellen McClain will be fired as part of the transformation as soon as the meet ends on Sept. 3, the source said.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/cuomo_whip_coming_down_OtS0rKivU181FjKqojxjfN#ixzz 26kfC0Ruj

Hmmm...doesn't seem like much in this article was true.

The Hawk
09-24-2012, 09:08 AM
Hmmm...doesn't seem like much in this article was true.

Really? Looks like the only thing that wasn't true was the timing. The main issue I have with this story is the following line:

"Nobody really had the best interests of the horses in mind,’’ said the source.

A quote like that has to be attributed to someone, because it's a damning statement. And it's not true.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/gov_bettor_way_ALg4pY94Jl7I4fjg2K89JM

Robert Goren
09-24-2012, 09:40 AM
As I sure everyone knows I am a liberal, but even I can't find a reason for the government to own a race track. Regulate and tax it, yes, but own it, never. I am amazed the the conservatives on this board who think it is ok. The government should only step in when a vital industry is in trouble and get then get out as quickly as possible. Horse racing is hardly a vital industry in my opinion and even if it was, NY state has been involved with running it for far too many years. The state's job should be limited to making sure that the races are fairly run and the bettors are protected. That it is it.

Tom
09-24-2012, 10:55 AM
They should get some non-government entity to run the NY tracks, like, oh, say a "New York Racing Association?" and maybe disband the state racing and wagering board, who failed to do their job miserably in the take out affair.

But, where there is a lot of money, there will always be a lot of Cuomo's.

mannyberrios
09-24-2012, 04:16 PM
They should get some non-government entity to run the NY tracks, like, oh, say a "New York Racing Association?" and maybe disband the state racing and wagering board, who failed to do their job miserably in the take out affair.

But, where there is a lot of money, there will always be a lot of Cuomo's.
Tell me about it !

Robert Goren
09-24-2012, 04:30 PM
For the record, NYRA is and always has been a government agency.

OTM Al
09-24-2012, 06:43 PM
For the record, NYRA is and always has been a government agency.

For the record it has not.

thespaah
09-24-2012, 08:37 PM
For the record it has not.
You saved me the keystrokes. Thanks!

mannyberrios
09-24-2012, 09:40 PM
For the record it has not.thank you Al

PaceAdvantage
09-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Nobody can argue the fact that NYRA racing is the most popular, most prestigious, highest handle-generating product in the United States of America.

Therefore, I don't see the need for such a radical departure from the source of this success. Reform? Yes. Throw out the baby with the bath water?

Good luck to NY racing if it simply becomes just another stock in CDI's portfolio.

thespaah
09-24-2012, 10:16 PM
Nobody can argue the fact that NYRA racing is the most popular, most prestigious, highest handle-generating product in the United States of America.

Therefore, I don't see the need for such a radical departure from the source of this success. Reform? Yes. Throw out the baby with the bath water?

Good luck to NY racing if it simply becomes just another stock in CDI's portfolio.
I agree. My biggest fear is a new operator coming in and screwing up Saratoga.
As you know there are people who believe in change for the sake of change and not enough people who think "if it ain't broke don't fix it".
Saratoga's success lies in two things...Short meet with high purses AND the August focused timing of the meet.
Of course tradition and prestige of getting your(winner's circle) picture taken at The Spa helps a bunch too.
Look, if an owner tells his buddies he had a horse win at Turfway the reaction is "that's nice"...If he tells them he had a winner at Saratoga, people who know racing and within earshot suddenly want to talk to the owner about it.

tzipi
09-25-2012, 01:09 PM

Perfectly put :ThmbUp:

aaron
09-25-2012, 01:55 PM

Agree with everything above,but how can you make NYRA racing profitable without slots ?

OTM Al
09-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Agree with everything above,but how can you make NYRA racing profitable without slots ?

Let them control NYCOTB and take adw players from all states where it is legal would probably do it....by a pretty fair margin.

aaron
09-25-2012, 03:03 PM
Let them control NYCOTB and take adw players from all states where it is legal would probably do it....by a pretty fair margin.
So you would think any entity willing to purchase NYRA,would require this. I wonder how racing would have fared if NYRA didn't turn down running OTB 40 years ago. Would we be even having this conversation ?

OTM Al
09-25-2012, 03:15 PM
So you would think any entity willing to purchase NYRA,would require this. I wonder how racing would have fared if NYRA didn't turn down running OTB 40 years ago. Would we be even having this conversation ?

No. Some might, but others would buy it to cut it up. There clearly are valuable parts. Of course NYRA got the right to open 10 Teletheaters in the city many years ago and the state still won't let them open those, so who knows how the OTB thing would have worked out.

What you have to remember as well was the original OTBs were nothing like what they are now. They only did NYRA and it was only a radio signal. You could get that just as easy and in more comfort from your local bar and bookie. It's easy to say it was a mistake now, but not so much back then.

classhandicapper
09-25-2012, 04:44 PM
I have no major problems with NYRA management, but they have a unique advantage over almost everyone else because they operates 2 tracks in high population/high wealth areas. So at a minimum you'd expect handle to be higher, which in turn drives everything else. It's hard to compare NY to anything other than a couple of other tracks.

They have done a magnificent job with Saratoga though. The meet might be a tad too long and watered down at this stage, but it's still an incredible place with great racing When I go there I feel like I'm in a scene from Field of Dreams. I keep asking "Is this heaven?"

burnsy
09-26-2012, 08:09 AM
I have no major problems with NYRA management, but they have a unique advantage over almost everyone else because they operates 2 tracks in high population/high wealth areas. So at a minimum you'd expect handle to be higher, which in turn drives everything else. It's hard to compare NY to anything other than a couple of other tracks.

They have done a magnificent job with Saratoga though. The meet might be a tad too long and watered down at this stage, but it's still an incredible place with great racing When I go there I feel like I'm in a scene from Field of Dreams. I keep asking "Is this heaven?"
Yeah, wait until CDI gets in there....Bouncy Bounce every day, a mall, a ferris wheel and all the cheap races you can take....lol...lol.

thespaah
09-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Yeah, wait until CDI gets in there....Bouncy Bounce every day, a mall, a ferris wheel and all the cheap races you can take....lol...lol.
That is precisely what I was referring to in my post above.

Itamaraca
09-26-2012, 06:47 PM

Another one who thinks this is 1980. Oh please, don't take our NON CHEAP racing away. :lol::lol:

What would we do? Where would we go? NYRA is the only one that can deliver this high quality racing: off-the-turf at the mere thought of moisture; TONS of biases; a racing secretary that doesn't understand the concept of mixing distances; FULL fields (:lol::lol: ); consistently/incredibly low exotic payouts, relatively; etc.

right

thespaah
09-26-2012, 09:06 PM
Another one who thinks this is 1980. Oh please, don't take our NON CHEAP racing away. :lol::lol:

What would we do? Where would we go? NYRA is the only one that can deliver this high quality racing: off-the-turf at the mere thought of moisture; TONS of biases; a racing secretary that doesn't understand the concept of mixing distances; FULL fields (:lol::lol: ); consistently/incredibly low exotic payouts, relatively; etc.

right
HUH?! :eek:

MartyZee
09-26-2012, 09:34 PM
Yes the NYRA has many problems and is far from perfect but it beats the heck out of 99% of what's out there

The Hawk
09-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Yes the NYRA has many problems and is far from perfect but it beats the heck out of 99% of what's out there

I think the point is that a lot of people don't feel this same way. I'll never understand why the NYRA lovers can't accept that not everyone thinks NY racing is the greatest thing since sliced bread. We get it, you love NYRA. Lots of people think NYRA is ok, but prefer other circuits, for a variety of reasons. Enough already with the pom-poms.

Tom
09-27-2012, 11:06 PM
I seldom play NYRA.
The fact remains, it is the top of the heap in terms of handle.
that is not perception.

And lots so nice artwork, too! :rolleyes:

Thomas Roulston
10-04-2012, 07:13 AM

right

Not mixing distances has been a personal peeve of mine for decades:

At Aqueduct, why not 5f and 7 1/2f turf races?

At Belmont, why not 6 1/2f, 7 1/2f, and 1 3/16m turf races?

And at Saratoga, how about either bringing back the Wilson Mile chute, or extending the existing backstretch chute to allow 1 mile dirt races?

the little guy
10-04-2012, 09:11 AM
And at Saratoga, how about extending the existing backstretch chute to allow 1 mile dirt races?

Good stuff!

thespaah
10-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Not mixing distances has been a personal peeve of mine for decades:

At Aqueduct, why not 5f and 7 1/2f turf races?

At Belmont, why not 6 1/2f, 7 1/2f, and 1 3/16m turf races?

And at Saratoga, how about either bringing back the Wilson Mile chute, or extending the existing backstretch chute to allow 1 mile dirt races?
The backstretch is not possible. Unless Nelson Ave is rerouted.

RaceBookJoe
10-04-2012, 04:59 PM
The backstretch is not possible. Unless Nelson Ave is rerouted.

I was thinking the same thing, i believe the starting gate for 7 furlongs is not far from the fence.

thespaah
10-04-2012, 10:34 PM
I was thinking the same thing, i believe the starting gate for 7 furlongs is not far from the fence.
Yeah there's about 50 feet or so behind the 7f starting position for the longest run up to the timer. On the other side of the fence is the roadway.
I remember the one mile chute at the CH turn. NYRA took it out and reshaped the track to a normal curve there.
I suppose they could build it back. However that would mean eliminating some VIP parking and the chalets now occupying the space.