PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Lin's offer by Houston

highnote
07-16-2012, 01:06 AM
I read where Lin makes big bucks for the Knicks and that he is bigger than Tebow right now.

Should the Knicks match Houston's offer?

cj
07-16-2012, 03:04 AM
I read where Lin makes big bucks for the Knicks and that he is bigger than Tebow right now.

Should the Knicks match Houston's offer?

The Knicks are clueless. I'm not sure if Lin was worth the offer Houston made, he probably isn't. But Raymond Felton? Seriously?

highnote
07-16-2012, 03:30 AM
The Knicks are clueless. I'm not sure if Lin was worth the offer Houston made, he probably isn't. But Raymond Felton? Seriously?

Houston must be Linsane. Sorry. That's lame.

Raymond Felton -- I don't know him.

BlueChip@DRF
07-16-2012, 07:59 AM
Houston must be Linsane. Sorry. That's lame.

Raymond Felton -- I don't know him.

What? EVERYBODY loves Raymond!

Robert Goren
07-16-2012, 09:49 AM
Felton played pretty well when was the Knicks(17 points and 9 assists per game). His trade to Denver and later to Portland did not work out well for him. The Knicks are clearly hoping he can "go home again". They will be very happy with anything resembling with 17 and 9 from him especially the 9. The 14 mil in the third year of Lin's Houston contract is a deal killer for the Knicks.

cj
07-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Felton played pretty well when was the Knicks(17 points and 9 assists per game). His trade to Denver and later to Portland did not work out well for him. The Knicks are clearly hoping he can "go home again". They will be very happy with anything resembling with 17 and 9 from him especially the 9. The 14 mil in the third year of Lin's Houston contract is a deal killer for the Knicks.

Stats...stats...stats....Felton is a cancer, I don't care what numbers he puts up. Why do you think he keeps getting moved?

Robert Fischer
07-16-2012, 11:15 AM
If Houston is prepared to feature Lin as well as they did Yao, then the league would be behind the move to Houston.

A successful market grab for that demographic elevates the Rockets significantly.

Canarsie
07-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Stats...stats...stats....Felton is a cancer, I don't care what numbers he puts up. Why do you think he keeps getting moved?

Felton had those stats pre Mello with a pick and roll offense. That has gone down the drain with Mello ( who is probably running the asylum) and Woodson.

Canarsie
07-16-2012, 12:29 PM

It really was a lot of money only time will tell if he's worth it. Once again a smart GM got awfully creative and put the Knicks in a serious bind. Here's two articles that are a really good read about the cap repercussions. There is a reason that there is all these sign and trades and not the mid level exception.

The new collective bargaining agreement contains several rules designed to discourage spending at the high end. One such rule creates a hard cap -- placed $4 million above the luxury tax threshold -- for any team that uses the full midlevel exception, valued at about $5 million per season, to sign a free agent.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/basketball/nba/07/04/dwight-howard-nets-magic-mirza-teletovic/index.html

That means Lin would count for a little more than $8 million each year on Houston’s cap, even though he’d be paid less than that in each of the first two seasons and more than that in the third year.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/07/15/lins-future-with-knicks-cloudy-after-felton-trade/

NBA Salary Cap FAQ:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

Robert Goren
07-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Stats...stats...stats....Felton is a cancer, I don't care what numbers he puts up. Why do you think he keeps getting moved? That maybe true, but the Knicks have had him before, so they know what they are getting. Clearly they think they can live this cancer. I would rather have Lin, but it is not my money.

maddog42
07-16-2012, 04:44 PM

Besides picking up Lin , I am trying to think of a good move that the Knicks have made. Mello is overrated. Felton? Can't believe it.

Canarsie
07-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Besides picking up Lin , I am trying to think of a good move that the Knicks have made. Mello is overrated. Felton? Can't believe it.

They signed a thirty nine year old point guard who shot 36% from the field. It only dipped to 34% against OKC. A short length contract of three years to boot.

maddog42
07-16-2012, 06:00 PM
They signed a thirty nine year old point guard who shot 36% from the field. It only dipped to 34% against OKC. A short length contract of three years to boot.

It certainly doesn't make them look like geniuses, but it might have been one of the BETTER moves they have made. 3 years? He might not be alive in 3 years, based on the last 72 hours. Kidd,39, thomas 40. Camby?(real old). I forgot Chandler, but at least he is a great defender. They have got to be the oldest team in the league.

DRIVEWAY
07-16-2012, 08:08 PM
Knicks must sign Lin. They can determine his value and either pay the penalty in the 3rd year or look to trade him if necessary.

Toronto would take him in a heartbeat. Let's face it, they earned the right to determine his true value. Don't become a cheapstake over this.

Now if he's only worth say 5 million send him packing for someone's reject along with cash and save the penalty.

But if he's a diamond in the rough the Knicks would be tortured by the press and the fans for being shortsighted and cheap.

There's a lot less risk than the contract implies. That's what managers do. Manage the risk and gain the reward.

Keep Lin.

highnote
07-16-2012, 09:12 PM
I also heard that Knicks owner feels slighted by Lin for taking the Rocket's offer. I think Lin is smart -- $25 million over 3 years. That's a good capitalist move.

Hey Dolan -- you're a billionaire capitalist -- show him the money! :D

Canarsie
07-17-2012, 10:43 AM
It certainly doesn't make them look like geniuses, but it might have been one of the BETTER moves they have made. 3 years? He might not be alive in 3 years, based on the last 72 hours. Kidd,39, thomas 40. Camby?(real old). I forgot Chandler, but at least he is a great defender. They have got to be the oldest team in the league.

To be fair Boston was old and had quite a decent year exceeding my expectations. But they rotate the ball and that is something the Knicks probably won't do. I wonder what percentage of shots Mello and Smith will take during a game. It could exceed 50% in an isolation offense.

Chandler is the glue of the team being the last line of defense when their guards get picked apart driving down the lane. He has become one of my favorite players to watch the 100% effort is always there.

highnote
07-17-2012, 11:46 PM
Knicks must sign Lin. They can determine his value and either pay the penalty in the 3rd year or look to trade him if necessary.

I guess the Knicks don't know or don't care how many Asian basketball fans there are. Lin is huge -- and not just with Asians. They should have kept him, but with Carmello and Kidd and others I guess there just wasn't enough room for so many celebrities. Although, the Yankees have had teams filled with multiple celebrities many times -- so that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

So I guess it comes to down to the fact that the Knicks don't see him being worth 25 mil over 3 years.

I don't get it... he brought excitement to the Knicks. In my 25+ years of following the Knicks I have never seen so much excitement over one player.

Valuist
07-18-2012, 11:33 AM
If they are counting on Carmelo to be their savior, they are clueless. He's a selfish player.

highnote
07-18-2012, 11:45 AM
If they are counting on Carmelo to be their savior, they are clueless. He's a selfish player.

I never paid much attention to the Knicks until Lin started playing. They were on a roll and he was the hottest thing in the NBA. Then Carmelo came back and the team went downhill.

Lin started dishing the ball to Carmelo rather than driving or taking the 3 point jump shots himself. A team can only have one leader on the floor. Lin submitted to Carmelo and Carmelo wasn't back to 100%, the coach got fired and chaos ensued.

At least that is my impression and recollection of how things played out.

The similarities between Tebow and Lin are interesting. Broncos and Knicks both got rid of the players that made things happen. Why were Tebow and Lin able to make good things happen?

Valuist
07-18-2012, 12:05 PM
I never paid much attention to the Knicks until Lin started playing. They were on a roll and he was the hottest thing in the NBA. Then Carmelo came back and the team went downhill.

Lin started dishing the ball to Carmelo rather than driving or taking the 3 point jump shots himself. A team can only have one leader on the floor. Lin submitted to Carmelo and Carmelo wasn't back to 100%, the coach got fired and chaos ensued.

At least that is my impression and recollection of how things played out.

The similarities between Tebow and Lin are interesting. Broncos and Knicks both got rid of the players that made things happen. Why were Tebow and Lin able to make good things happen?

I guess I'm a bigger believer in Lin than Tebow. Tebow had a nice run of not turning the ball over but others were really making big plays, esp. their defense. Saw him in the Miami and Chicago games and he was terrible for 3 quarters but played well in the 4th quarter. As for Lin, he won't catch anyone by surprise this year but he does look like a legit NBA starting point guard.

highnote
07-18-2012, 12:51 PM
I guess I'm a bigger believer in Lin than Tebow. Tebow had a nice run of not turning the ball over but others were really making big plays, esp. their defense. Saw him in the Miami and Chicago games and he was terrible for 3 quarters but played well in the 4th quarter. As for Lin, he won't catch anyone by surprise this year but he does look like a legit NBA starting point guard.

Lin is probably more of a starting point guard in the NBA than Tebox is a starting QB in the NFL. However, both had a way of creating a spark that made their teams win.