PDA

View Full Version : Disgust Leads Maryland Racing Commissioner to Resign

Suff
01-12-2004, 06:17 PM
by Tom Keyser
Date Posted: 1/12/04 4:06:18 PM
Last Updated: 1/12/04 4:06:18 PM

Erwin Mendelson has resigned as a member of Maryland Racing Commission, saying he was fed up with the rancor and disgusted by the continuing fighting between racing's factions.
"I've had enough," said Mendelson, who served more than four years on the nine-member panel. "It's no fun; we're going downhill. I don't need the heartache and the aggravation anymore."

A certified public account, Mendelson lives in Bethesda and owned a large stable of racehorses in the 1970s and 1980s. He said several events led to his decision to resign.

Gov. Robert Ehrlich Jr.'s recent appointment of the newcomer Tom McDonough as commission chairman was a "big mistake," Mendelson said.

He said he likes McDonough and thought he would grow into the job. But, Mendelson said, throwing someone with no commission experience into that demanding post was not fair to McDonough, the commission or Maryland racing.

And, he said, the recent dispute between horsemen and track management over the threatened closing of the Pimlico Race Course barn area for the winter was a "fiasco." The unruly meetings, the inappropriate public outbursts and the follow-up accusations by the horsemen's association that the commissioners had lied and met in secret were the final straw, Mendelson said.

Before voting not to interfere in the dispute, an act that incensed horsemen, commissioners never discussed the issue outside the public meeting, Mendelson said.

"I didn't need to be chastised by the horsemen like that," he said.

Mendelson, whose resignation became effective Dec. 31, said his parting advice is "for the horsemen and the tracks to unite and get together to get a slots bill passed. We need it desperately."

Ehrlich has already appointed a replacement for Mendelson. He is Gregory Barnhill, 50, a partner and senior advisor at Brown Investment Advisory & Trust Co. A resident of Stevenson, Barnhill has owned steeplechase horses for 25 years

JustRalph
01-12-2004, 08:04 PM
the rats are jumping from a floundering ship.........

JustRalph
01-12-2004, 08:34 PM
Where do you think they will be holding the Preakness in 2010?

BillW
01-12-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by JustRalph
Where do you think they will be holding the Preakness in 2010?

Charlestown ... just like NASCAR, 150 laps.

Bill

takeout
01-12-2004, 10:51 PM
They might as well... they've already got half of Maryland over there now. :)

takeout
01-12-2004, 11:19 PM
And,

Laurel jockeys decide not to ride, irking MJC
http://www.sunspot.net/sports/horseracing/bal-sp.laurel11jan11,0,1121322.story?coll=bal-sports-horse

and,

Slots gain favor; most want state to keep all proceeds
http://www.sunspot.net/sports/horseracing/bal-te.md.slots11jan11001749,0,5625828.story?coll=bal-sports-horse

[snip]
By a 10-to-1 margin, voters say they prefer that the state keep all proceeds from slots rather than giving "millions of dollars to help the horse racing industry," according to the poll.
[snip]

Tom
01-12-2004, 11:50 PM
The day those racing management types put their fat asses on top of a horse and ride it around the track is the day they have a right to judge a jock's decision not to race.
I see jocks driving to the finish line all the time in conditions I would consider to severe to risk your life on.
Thumbs down to Laurel park suits.
:mad:

AlyshebaFan
01-13-2004, 06:44 PM
They say, "you don't know what you've got until it's gone". If Maryland keeps on going the way it is, and the people in this state don't wake up and smell the coffee, the only horses in this state will be at shows and petting zoos. What gets me is they honestly don't realize the amount of jobs, business and publicity they would lose if racing were gone.

Just going to Delaware to pick up a horse it cost almost $30 in tolls. The biggest comming from Delaware itself. Where does that money go? NOT to Maryland. Who do we have to thank? Our legislation... Having slots in Maryland is needed but not if it doesn't help the racing community and the breeders. My fear is they will pass the law and have the slots off racing properties. Which would mean squat. And so, the Preakness will fade into another state that is ready and willing to give it the prosperity it deserves.

I don't blame him for retireing. With all the darn fighting in here I'm suprised Vince McMahon hasn't opened up a ring and aired it by now on the WWF.

takeout
01-13-2004, 08:41 PM
The owners of the tracks seem to be the ones that have alienated the powers that be and screwed things up royally. They just can't seem to squeeze enough money out of us to make them happy. Joe DeFrancis single-handedly brought MD racing to its knees with all of his greedy shenanigans before he entered into his sweetheart deal with Magna when he was finally starting to feel his back to the wall. Magna, probably blinded by the prospect of getting slots, let Joe stay around and deserves whatever they get because of it. Looks to me like a case of a dog with fleas lying down next to a dog with more fleas.

Here's an idea, FWIW:

How about throwing them both out and the state takes the tracks over? Shouldn't be any problem getting the machines put in at the track locations then. I agree with those who say why make the track owners rich? Use the slot money for the racing industry and the state.

winplaceshow
01-25-2004, 03:42 AM
Not a bad idea, Takeout. *Anyone* has to be better than DeFrancis, considering the shape that the Maryland tracks, particularly Pimlico, are in these days. However, if the state somehow was able to take over Lrl and Pim, they should try to find someone else to run the MJC as quickly as possible, IMO.

It's gotten to the point that my wife and I have decided not to attend the Preakness this year (we've been going there together since 1997). Cramming all those thousands of people in a decrepit track like Pim takes a lot of fun out of spending a day at the track. Plus the fact that they're not displaying the pools on the toteboard anymore has me steamed (sorry, but putting them on that giant video monitor thing just isn't the same!). I'll probably just go to Lrl to bet on the Preakness.