PDA

View Full Version : windows 95 question

highnote
07-13-2012, 01:16 AM
I have an old computer with windows 95 as the OS. I backed up all the emails form 1999 to about 2003 on it in various backup files.

The backup files will open in WordPad, but they are large and take a long time to search on this old computer.

Is there a way to search the entire hard drive for a specific word that might exist somewhere on the drive -- not as part of a filename, but as a word within an existing file?

Thanks!

wilderness
07-13-2012, 01:30 AM
Windows Explorer will do it, however it's really slow when you have a lot of files and especially if the files are not organized.

For my horsey archives and even website data I use Copernic Desktop.
It takes some thought to configure it initially (limit file sizes, types and location (no need to search the operating system files), however once the thing is configured it indexes all the data and offer very fast search results.

It's free (http://www.copernic.com/en/products/desktop-search/index.html). There's a paid version as well that likely works better.

There are other desktop too;s as well.
Google was offering one at one-time, not sure if they still do or not.

wilderness
07-13-2012, 01:33 AM
What did you use to back up the Win 95 emails?

I use to use a free utility for this, however it included frequent errors, even blank and replicated emails.

highnote
07-13-2012, 02:15 AM
I just gave the files new names and then when I started the email up again a default name was created.