PDA

View Full Version : Thistledown Jockey actions..

iceknight
07-11-2012, 05:11 PM
So I was looking at Thistledown for the first time ever today and was looking at today's earlier charts to try to figure out rail bias.

This caught my eye in the chart for the 4th race, Jul 11, 2012 (http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/instant.cgi?date=2012-07-11&track=TDN&country=USA&race=4&type=inc&print=on)

WHATAKNOCKOUT sprinted to a clear lead soon after the start, widened on the turn, remained clear as her rider lost his whip nearing the eighth pole, he proceeded to remove his helmet cover, lost his goggles and dropped said cover while attempting to strike the horse with it nearing the sixteenth pole, then could not handle the late charge of the winner.

What do you think of this jockey's actions? (have nt seen video yet) It is bad enough his whip fell, but WHAT IF his helmet falls while he is doing these helmet cover removal..? and horse behind him steps on it, it is a risk to the other horses and riders.. Just wondering how secure the helmets are on their heads..

v j stauffer
07-11-2012, 05:46 PM
So I was looking at Thistledown for the first time ever today and was looking at today's earlier charts to try to figure out rail bias.

This caught my eye in the chart for the 4th race, Jul 11, 2012 (http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/instant.cgi?date=2012-07-11&track=TDN&country=USA&race=4&type=inc&print=on)

WHATAKNOCKOUT sprinted to a clear lead soon after the start, widened on the turn, remained clear as her rider lost his whip nearing the eighth pole, he proceeded to remove his helmet cover, lost his goggles and dropped said cover while attempting to strike the horse with it nearing the sixteenth pole, then could not handle the late charge of the winner.

What do you think of this jockey's actions? (have nt seen video yet) It is bad enough his whip fell, but WHAT IF his helmet falls while he is doing these helmet cover removal..? and horse behind him steps on it, it is a risk to the other horses and riders.. Just wondering how secure the helmets are on their heads..

They have a very secure chin strap. Saw David Flores do exactly what was described once.

Marlin
07-11-2012, 07:47 PM
That dude is HUNGRY!! Wonder what the fine will be.