PDA

View Full Version : Scanner from Star Trek now a reality

DJofSD
07-11-2012, 02:25 PM
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/07/11/new-homeland-security-laser-scanner-reads-people-at-molecular-level/

WASHINGTON (CBSDC) – The Department of Homeland Security will soon be using a laser at airports that can detect everything about you from over 160-feet away.

Gizmodo reports a scanner that could read people at the molecular level has been invented. This laser-based scanner – which can be used 164-feet away — could read everything from a person’s adrenaline levels, to traces of gun powder on a person’s clothes, to illegal substances — and it can all be done without a physical search. It also could be used on multiple people at a time, eliminating random searches at airports.

Does this mean no more pat downs?

Tom
07-11-2012, 03:00 PM
It means form focused pat downs. :eek:

highnote
07-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Looks like my flying days are over. This sounds like the ultimate invasion of privacy.

DJofSD
07-11-2012, 04:43 PM
No one says you have to fly. Besides commercial planes, there are trains and automobiles.

PhantomOnTour
07-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Sorry, but this is scary....when it comes to search and seizure i don't think you'll find a more liberal person than me.
Getting on a plane?...fine with me, scan away.
But somehow i see this being used for way more than airport security.

Cops can sit there with radar guns to check my speed...will they also be checking my pockets and entire automobile??
Will they soon be able to sit outside my house and scan it, too?

Well, i guess if you've got nothing to hide it's okay :rolleyes:

Do i have something to hide in my house?
It's none of your business, Mr Government.

Robert Goren
07-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Sorry, but this is scary....when it comes to search and seizure i don't think you'll find a more liberal person than me.
Getting on a plane?...fine with me, scan away.
But somehow i see this being used for way more than airport security.

Cops can sit there with radar guns to check my speed...will they also be checking my pockets and entire automobile??
Will they soon be able to sit outside my house and scan it, too?

Well, i guess if you've got nothing to hide it's okay :rolleyes:

Do i have something to hide in my house?
It's none of your business, Mr Government.Unless you are hiding illegal immigrants.:rolleyes:

FantasticDan
07-11-2012, 09:43 PM
No one says you have to fly. Besides commercial planes, there are trains and automobiles.
_akwHYMdbsM

Actor
07-12-2012, 01:31 AM
Gizmodo reports a scanner that could read people at the molecular level has been invented. This laser-based scanner – which can be used 164-feet awayAt the molecular level? I don't think so. That would require gamma ray wavelengths and, if the range is 164 feet, it would probably kill the subject.