PDA

View Full Version : Result charts question

takeout
01-12-2004, 01:17 AM
Do charts still contain a comment for when a horse is put down? I remember seeing it in the past but noticed a recent example where there was no mention made of it in the chart.

MV McKee
01-12-2004, 02:53 AM
It's not 100% accurate...but usually there is a comment "vanned off" in the footnotes. More often than not, this is a strong indicator, that, at very least, the horse will not be racing again. st least anytime soon.

Buddha
01-12-2004, 11:57 AM
I can't say for sure that I have seen that before, but I don't remember. Normally it may just say stumbled/fell, but I can't say that I ever remember seeing that he was put down.

takeout
01-12-2004, 02:00 PM
I hadn't thought about it for a long time but it seems to me that I used to see "humanely destroyed" in the charts. Now all I notice is "fell" or "broke down".

I have seen the "vanned off" comment many times and wondered how many of them were ultimately put down.

The charts get put up very fast these days so I was wondering if some actually get missed or if they are missing them on purpose. I would be curious what the Equibase policy is on this or if it's left up to the people calling the charts. My 2 cents is, if it happened, it should be put in the charts.

VetScratch
01-12-2004, 07:07 PM
My older uncle had a sick sense of humor. If an owner's wife asked about a horse being vanned off, he often replied, "If they haven't cut the tail off yet, there's always hope!"

kenwoodallpromos
01-13-2004, 01:05 AM
I never do bet on dead horses, so I never noticed a PP that said "humanely destroyed in its last race"! I did cash a show bet on one that died after it crossed the finish line third! Results said "broke down, paid $2.80!"LOL!!

PaceAdvantage
01-14-2004, 10:35 PM
real funny....yuk yuk and all that....