PDA

View Full Version : Eagles/New England still a possibility

sq764
01-11-2004, 08:18 PM
Well, my dream matchup was my beloved Eagles against NE.. Thankfully it's still alive!

I still think Peyton Manning hasn't seen a defense in the playoffs and when he has to go to NE and play there, watch out.. He's going to run into a nightmare.

BIG RED
01-11-2004, 08:47 PM
I hope your dream comes true! Therefore my PATS are there. I hope Indy slows down a bit, wich they will when they hit our defense, if not, our offense will kick in:D As they say in football anonymous 'one game at a time'!( I havn't a clue so I hope I didn't offend anyone):p

Bubbles
01-11-2004, 09:14 PM
If Carolina somehow gets by Philly, oddsmakers'll set really extreme odds agaisnt them, like them getting two touchdowns if NE gets in. If this is the case, I'll bet the Panthers with both hands.

sq764
01-11-2004, 09:43 PM
Eagles SHOULD beat Carolina again.. They killed them a few weeks ago.. But, you just never know.. Will be fun to watch.

Valuist
01-12-2004, 10:52 AM
The Eagles did NOT kill Carolina by any means; The final was 25-16 and Carolina's kicker missed 3 field goal attempts and an extra point. Carolina actually had a decent yardage edge in that game 336 to 283. I'm not saying Carolina will go in there and win, especially after a double OT win on the road, but they are, by no means, overmatched against a Philadelphia team who had no business winning that game against Green Bay. Green Bay completely self-destructed, giving up a 27 yd pass on 4th and 26 and then Favre gift wrapped the win for Philly w/that stupid pass. I still don't think Philly can stop the run.

sq764
01-12-2004, 11:02 AM
They don't need to stop the run, Stephen Davis is out for Carolina.. The should feast on that clown QB Carolina has..

And as much as Favre blew the game, Mcnabb was amazing in the 2nd half and OT.. Carolina won't be able to stop him..,

Valuist
01-12-2004, 11:13 AM
McNabb did come up big; no question about that. He's the strongest QB I've ever seen. Avoiding the sack and throwing the incomplete w/10 seconds left saved the game for them. If he's sacked, time runs out.

Davis being out will hurt but Bryan Westbrook is a huge loss for Philly, also. I think the concern w/Carolina is are they emotionally spent after the 2 OT win on the road and they must hit the road again.

I'll give Andy Reid a lot of credit. Other than McNabb, there is no giant talent edge on that team. They've lost some key defensive players the past couple years to free agency. But the 2001 Patriots weren't all that talented (this years team is definitely stronger) but they were well coached and played well as a team to win the Super Bowl. New England would be favored over Philly if those 2 hook up in the Super Bowl.

sq764
01-12-2004, 11:40 AM
I agree with you, Mcnabb is very strong and although he makes some stupid passes, he has grown of late. Last year, he might have taken that sack and that would have been the ballgame.. He still has stretches of shaky play (like the entire first quarter), but he has become quite a clutch player.

The play he made to score the second touchdown was simply amazing. I do not think any other player in the NFL makes that play.

JustRalph
01-12-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Valuist
McNabb did come up big; no question about that. He's the strongest QB I've ever seen.

Valuist: Did you miss the 70's and 80's? Some pretty good ones in that group. I don't think Mcnabb played as well as Peyton Manning has the last few weeks. He seems inconsistent to me. But he pulled it off. Manning has been consistent and very accurate the last two weeks.

The scrambling quarterback isn't new. Tarkenton and others were pretty good at it. Bradshaw was my all time favorite.

Here are some good ones....Mcnabb has a long way to go to get into this group........but he has the potential....if he doesn't get hurt.

http://nflthrowbacks.com/great-nfl-players/ju1-c.jpg

http://nflthrowbacks.com/great-nfl-players/joe-td.jpg

http://www.nflthrowbacks.com/great-nfl-players/terry-cut125.jpg
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/PHOTOFILE/AABF030.jpg

BillW
01-12-2004, 08:37 PM
2 from Pittsburgh, 1 played in Pittsburgh and one never wanted to go near the place (:D ).

Ahh the good ole days.

Bill

sq764
01-12-2004, 10:06 PM
Ok, one thing you fail to realize.. Manning has played against 2 HORRIBLE defenses.. No rush, cover Harrison 1 on 1.. Christ..

If he goes into New England and plays well, then he earns some respect.. Until then, he hasn't done anything at all..

I will love to see when Peyton gets hit, sacked and thrown around.. Love to see how he reacted.. I guess it will be ugly..

shots
01-12-2004, 10:14 PM
I like both Pats and Eagles at home in the cold, good coaching and alot of playoff experience.

sq764
01-12-2004, 10:28 PM
Yes.. Pats looks very tough.. and Eagles should come out on the bell this time.. Hopefully they learned what coming out flat does..
My prediction:

NE 17 Indy 10

PHA 31 Car 17

SAL
01-12-2004, 10:45 PM
Bill Belichick will devise a defense that will slow the Colts down. That and the cold weather. I predict that Indy will not score more than 20 points in the championship game. In fact, I'm going with the under.

Though I don't think the Eagles deserve to be there, I don't see Carolina beating them, especially playing it's second consecutive playoff game on the road. With a double overtime game last week, no less. Philly can't stop the run, but if Davis isn't playing for Carolina that won't be that big a factor.

sq764
01-12-2004, 11:34 PM
why don't the Eagles deserve to be there?

Valuist
01-13-2004, 01:23 PM
Ralph-

Yes I saw the 1970s and 80s. And I didn't say McNabb was better than Manning (he's not; in fact he's NOWHERE near the passer Manning is). I said he was the strongest. Tarkenton?? Are you kidding me? The guy was about 190 pounds; if he tried that scrambling against the types of defenders nowadays, he'd be 6 feet under. As for his passing, he threw so many screen passes I think a lot of his yardage is fraudulent. Bobby Douglass was the strongest (physically) QB of that era. Of course he also was probably the worst passer of recent eras. The BEST QB of the 70s was Roger Staubauch, who ran the 2 minute drill better than any QB I've ever seen.

Valuist
01-13-2004, 01:31 PM
Sal-

I agree 100% w/you. I believe New England will stop Indy. When they played at the RCA Dome it was 31-10 NE before the Pats fell asleep at the wheel. Indy had 1st and goal at the 1 yd line....4 chances and they couldn't punch it in.

I also agree that Philly really isn't deserving. Statistically, they haven't been that strong; in fact they've been below average against the run and the passing game was non-existant earlier in the season. Of Reid's 3 teams to make the NFC Championship game, this is his best coaching job (and the least talented of the 3).

But stats don't always win; the 2001 Patriots were something like 17th in offense and 23 in defense but still won the Super Bowl. This Philly team kind of reminds me of them. Good coach, kicker and QB. But not having Westbrook for returns is a big loss.

sq764
01-13-2004, 01:34 PM
Manning is a better passer, but I would take Mcnabb any day. He is such a danger running and passing.

If Manning gets pressured and sacked on his ass this Sunday, it will be interesting how he reacts. I can't imagine it's going to be anything near the joke of defense he has faced the past 2 weeks..

Valuist
01-13-2004, 01:56 PM
While Manning is perceived as immobile, he was only sacked 18 times this season. McNabb, who is extremely agile, was sacked 43 times. Sacks are more a function of how long the QB holds the ball, rather than just pure quickness.

sq764
01-13-2004, 02:00 PM
Um, sacks are also dependant on your offensive line..Probably moreso than any other factor..

Manning has ALL DAY to pass the last 2 weeks.. Mcnabb was running for his life on Sunday, especially in the last quarter..