PDA

View Full Version : Takter HOF Trainer--Not Driver

Oskar
07-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Someone please tell Jimmy Takter that he was inducted into the HOF on the basis of his work as a trainer, not for his skill as a driver. He’s a menace—butchering one drive after another on his young trotters. What he’s done to Guccio this year is criminal. Now it’s the two-year-olds.

His stock is so good that his charge is often a second or two better than the competition. That notwithstanding, always trying to beat him, when he’s not part of an entry and coupled in the betting with Pierce and the like, is probably a good strategy.

Some trainers that drive their stock early in the year know they’re not very good,Takter, on the other hand, thinks he’s a good driver. That makes him doubly dangerous for any bettor.

LottaKash
07-06-2012, 07:44 PM
Oskar, with all due respect, thru the years I have always thought Takter a capable enough driver, and during that time, he sported very good numbers as a driver.....I kashed many a ticket with him at the helm....I thought him excellent at rating a horse, especially the young guns...

Plus, he is/was clever enough to know, especially when the big money was down, to give his razor sharp horses a more qualified pilot....You know the guys who sniff the "big-kash" on paydays....

Perhaps lately tho, he may have lost a step or two, but heck, he has been around for a good while, and I have seen many other once capable drivers mess up a good thing or two as they lost that same quickstep, as well....

Oskar
07-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Oskar, with all due respect, thru the years I have always thought Takter a capable enough driver, and during that time, he sported very good numbers as a driver.....I kashed many a ticket with him at the helm....I thought him excellent at rating a horse, especially the young guns...

Plus, he is/was clever enough to know, especially when the big money was down, to give his razor sharp horses a more qualified pilot....You know the guys who sniff the "big-kash" on paydays....

Perhaps lately tho, he may have lost a step or two, but heck, he has been around for a good while, and I have seen many other once capable drivers mess up a good thing or two as they lost that same quickstep, as well....

If he has a plan when the gate folds, he doesn’t seem to be doing a very good job executing it. All too often he looks lost out there. Why is he driving Guccio in the Goodtimes?

From 2006 to today he has 59 wins in 344 starts. Considering the stock he has that isn’t nearly enough. Granted, some of those drives are on green trotters that are being schooled, but overall a selection of competent catch drivers would have many more wins in those 344 starts.

Oskar
07-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Yesterday at Pocono, Jimmy Takter’s Superstar Hanover was 1-9 from the rail in a $32,000 division of the Pa All Stars series. Tetrick left from the seven with Bob Stewart’s Cantab Hall filly, Oasis Dream, who was 16-1. TT got the top right away and Takter retook to the quarter. At the end TT came up the inside and beat Superstar by about a head. Oasis Dream paid $35.40 to win.

Didn’t BearBryant say, “I can beat yours with mine or mine with yours.”