PDA

View Full Version : Betting on the harness races

trying2win
01-11-2004, 01:34 AM
--I'm just trying to see what the PA members think about the harness racing game, so I decided to try a poll here. I know some people love the harness races, some people hate them, some people don't mind them, some people don't care. Whatever, let us know your opinions.

--Personally, I love playing both thoroughbred and harness races. If I had to list which one I like better of the two, I would choose the harness races.

Thanks,

Trying2win

dav4463
01-11-2004, 03:40 AM
The only harness racing experience I have is watching "Granny" from "The Beverly Hillbillies" jump on a cart and ride to victory in one episode !

Tom
01-11-2004, 04:50 PM
Looks like people either love it or hate it!
All in all, this new section is getting good response...a big tip'o the ole fedoa to PA!
:p

PaceAdvantage
01-11-2004, 06:58 PM
trying2win deserves most of the credit....

Tom
01-11-2004, 07:05 PM
Then a tip o' the ole chapeau to you, too sir!

trying2win
01-11-2004, 09:37 PM
PA and Tom,

--Thanks for the compliments. I really can't take all the accolades. You'd have to give some credit to SQ. I think if my memory serves me correct, he made the original suggestion for the Harness Racing forum. Plus, PA deserves some thanks for providing the Harness Racing platform. Don't know how much programming work goes into setting up a new section. It may be more than we think.

--I just made the odd hint, reminder, or question to PA now and then, to see if the Harness section was still going to become a reality. That day has arrived. Now that it has, some PA members might use the same phrase...i.e...Those that like the harness races may enthusiastically say to me "Thanks a lot!". Then again, those that don't like the harness races might say to me, sarcastically ... "Thanks...a lot!" . Either way, you're welcome.

--Now, it would be nice if we could get more posters here at the Harness Racing forum. Even I'm getting tired of looking at my own posts...LOL. It would be a refreshing change to read some other harness fans' ideas, opinions, knowledge, information and stories etc. in print here.

Thanks,

Trying2win

PaceAdvantage
01-11-2004, 09:55 PM
Actually, it's easier than you think to add new forums...the art is in deciding what to add and what NOT to add....LOL

Zaf
01-11-2004, 10:11 PM
I play Harness races on rare occasions. I grew up playing harness races at Roosevelt Raceway/Yonkers Raceway. The good old days with Carmine Abbatiello, Herve Filion, Del Insko, John Chapman, Meritt Dokey, Buddy Gilmour, Ben Webster, Norm Dauplaise etc. I enjoyed the game very much back then.

I turned to thoroughbred in the 90's and have never went back since.

I wish there was more information and resources for harness racing. I find it limited.

ZAFONIC

Exactaman
01-11-2004, 10:43 PM
my stat cruncher friends have a hard time of it, spending long hours fooling around with excel macros to digest not easily digestable information from the usta to get what they need. BUT, for Meadowlands, Chicago and even Cal-expo--you got your free replays on line. i'm happy!

trying2win
01-11-2004, 11:05 PM
Zafonic,

TRIVIA QUESTIONS:

--Buddy Gilmour drove at Northlands Park the odd time. Can you name the champ horse he drove here?

--Pat Crowe also drove at Northlands Park in the past. Can you name the outstanding pacer he drove at Northlands Park? This horse put on the most amazing performance at Northlands Park, that I've ever witnessed at the harness races.

--Anybody else can answer these questions first, if Zafonic's too slow in responding.

Thanks,

Trying2win

norm f
01-11-2004, 11:12 PM
Gilmour was OnTheRoadAgain
Crowe was Cam Fella(the only horse that made him look like....an almost capable driver)

trying2win
01-11-2004, 11:34 PM
Norm,

--Good show, you got both answers correct! No prize money. Just accolades.

--Some other well-known harness drivers have shown up here at Northlands Park over the years, like John Campbell, William O'Donnell, and Tom Merriman to name a few. There's probably some other famous names I've forgotten about. A lot of these drivers would show up for the now-defunct Stewart Fraser Memorial Pace.

--It's kind of sad in a way, to see William O'Donnell go from being dubbed "The Magic Man" in his heyday, to being almost "The Invisible Man". I noticed he still drives on the Woodbine/Mohawk circuit, albeit not very often. It seems once you become 50 years old, a lot of trainers and owners think you're over the hill, and can't compete with the younger, talented drivers in the big leagues anymore. I wonder if Mike Lachance is encountering that kind of prejudice now?

--By the way, does anybody know why William O'Donnell was called "The Magic Man" in the old days?

Thanks,

Trying2win

norm f
01-12-2004, 01:24 AM
Ron Waples is another forgotten legend and sad to see but Doug Brown also seems to have hit the wall,and hes only 47.And Odonnell :-) I was at a place called Sauble Beach last summer,Hanover raceway, a small summer b track about 45 mins from there had the ontario grassroots stakes there...Heres Billy O, on a horse with Excellent gate speed, but wasnt finishing his miles at Woodbine,going to an half mile fair track,with 1 drive...paying over $20. I still glow when i turn to that page.
And no i dont know how he got pegged as the magic man

trying2win
01-12-2004, 03:50 AM
Norm,

--I remember Doug Brown being the "King of the Castle", so to speak, on the Woodbine/Mohawk circuit for many years. Then along came two younger drivers by the names of Chris Christoforou and Randy Waples. Soon after, Doug's reign was over.

--In their heyday, Doug Brown and Steve Condren were amongst the best drivers on the Woodbine/Mohawk circuit. They're still very capable drivers today, and I have no reservations about betting a horse I like, and either one of them is driving. One bonus nowadays in many cases, is that D.B. and S.C. are not being overbet like in the old days.

--I see Ron Waples is still driving these days. Is it mainly at the minor tracks around Ontario, such as Flamboro Downs and Western Fair Raceway?

--My prediction is that the next young, superstar driver on the Woodbine/Mohawk circuit will be Mark MacDonald. He's only about 25 years old, and I believe he drove about 500 winners last year! Mark has stated in print before, that he'd like to crack the lineup at the major OJC tracks. He does show up there from time to time. But, it's going to take a awhile before he can become a regular at the big league tracks in Ontario. A very competitive bunch of drivers on that major circuit!

Trying2win

melman
01-12-2004, 08:45 AM
When you look at harness it is really two different bets. The large tracks and the small tracks. With the half milers speed and post are king and with the large tracks I love betting the outside posts. Plenty of room to operate. Also at Woodbine/Mohawk Mr Paul MacDonnel is my guy!!!

Exactaman
01-12-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by melman
When you look at harness it is really two different bets. The large tracks and the small tracks.

Absolutely Melman, two different games. Big track harness is a great betting game.

Originally posted by trying2win -By the way, does anybody know why William O'Donnell was called "The Magic Man" in the old days?

Asked Bob Heyden, he said Clyde Hirt started it in the early 80's.

sq764
01-12-2004, 11:41 AM
Paul Macdonell, huh? I like him too. He brings home some bombs..I also like Mario Bellargiaron up there, he's solid.. And any trotter, you have to look at who Trevor Ritchie is on, he may be the best driver on trotters in the world.