PDA

View Full Version : Head first slide into first base better than running it out?

Zippy Chippy
07-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Do you think there is any advantage of sliding into first base on a "bang bang play"? I've been torn on this for 25 years. It just worked on sox game. made me think.

PhantomOnTour
07-01-2012, 05:53 PM
No
It's best to run through the bag.
Nobody dives for the line in the 100yd dash.

headhawg
07-01-2012, 06:17 PM
The only reason to ever slide in to first is to avoid a tag.

cj
07-01-2012, 07:12 PM
The only reason to ever slide in to first is to avoid a tag.

Exactly, and the chances of knowing that is going to actually happen are pretty slim. The fastest way to first is to run through the bag.

Ocala Mike
07-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Coach told me to never go head first. Head injuries much more severe than foot/leg injuries and, if the ball gets away, just make the turn and you're in scoring position.

Agree that the only logical time to use the head first slide is to avoid a tag. It has to slow you up.

Zippy Chippy
07-01-2012, 08:13 PM
This play had zero to do with a tag. Id like to see some sort of study on this. Not sure how theyd measure this. I don't think its as black and white as everyone says although i too, would lean towards running it out

cj
07-01-2012, 10:35 PM
This play had zero to do with a tag. Id like to see some sort of study on this. Not sure how theyd measure this. I don't think its as black and white as everyone says although i too, would lean towards running it out

Come on, you really don't think this has been tested, studied, and proven? Running through the bag is faster, end of discussion.

Dave Schwartz
07-02-2012, 12:28 AM
Come on, you really don't think this has been tested, studied, and proven? Running through the bag is faster, end of discussion.

Absolutely right.

Simple logic:

1. Run through the bag and you're at full speed past the bag.

2. Slide and you clearly must slow down before the bag.

HoofedInTheChest
07-02-2012, 12:59 AM
Not to mention you have a good chance of breaking your hand on the slide, as well as the raspberries that come along with sliding. I never understood why players slid into first base, it never made sense to me.

Marshall Bennett
07-02-2012, 07:10 AM
Even if they go 0 for 4 their uniform will look as if they've played harder than anyone else. :cool:

TexasDolly
07-02-2012, 07:37 AM
Sports Science ("][/url]

An excerpt from the article below seems to say if you dive only you will reach the base slightly faster ,however a dive plus a slide might not be as fast as running it out.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_sliding_into_first_base_make_you_reach_base_f aster

"[url=")

There was recently a segment of show from Sports Science that discussed this and broke it down with scientific test and slow motion cameras. By diving into a base you initially get ahead of where you would be if running, however, the friction of sliding slows you down about 50% so in the last 6 feet before the bag you actually get to the base faster by running through the bag. I know there will be a lot of people argue this fact.. but science is science. Now if you time you dive perfectly to where you can touch 1st base at the peak of full extension in your dive without sliding on the ground, then yes, diving would be faster. "

HuggingTheRail
07-02-2012, 01:35 PM
This must make it a bit more difficult for the umpire to make the call as well...not expecting the slide, and slightly harder to see when the fingertip hits the base, as opposed to seeing (and hearing?) the foot hit the base.

Valuist
07-02-2012, 03:26 PM
This brings to mind another silly act. The football player who flings himself into the air (when there is no defender nearby) to the end zone. Not talking about a guy like Payton, who would elevate near the goal line to get over the pile, but just some sort of showboat maneuver.

MaTH716
07-02-2012, 03:49 PM
No
It's best to run through the bag.
Nobody dives for the line in the 100yd dash.

:ThmbUp: